Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
in 6, i could rip a cd at 6.0x- 14.0x,,, now with the upgrade to 7,, i am ripping at 1.1x,, maybe 2-3x but thats it.
is my only solution to downgrade back to 6? this sucks.

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
so,, i took a break,, had a few beers,, came back and the next cd i ripped, it was at 6-7x?? i have around 100 more to go so this is an issue!!
what determines the rip speed?? anybody know?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Mac or Windows?

The Windows version of iTunes uses a third party CD library which has a bunch of configuration files that can be edited.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
barnacle said:
it's windows xp.
some cd's rip OK with itunes 7, others are excruciatingly slow.
You could try turning off error correction under preferences -> advanced -> importing.

You could also look in C:\Program Files\iTunes\CD Configuration and see what listings are there for your CD drive and edit it there.

Or, you could rip with EAC or some other ripper and pass the music off to iTunes when it's done...

B

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I am probably pointing out the relatively obvious, but...

I think the rip speed depends on a variety of factors...

1) The complexity of the encoding and available processing resources -- if the encoder gets behind, I think it will kick back and tell the drive to slow down

2) Other demands on the computer and bus at the time.

3) The dynamic balance of the disc -- for this reason, even individual copies of the same disc will vary in rip speed on the same computer under the same conditions.

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
thanks for that info,, and no, it is not obvious. not even understandable!:confused: but, i think i get the jist of it.

my laptop exsists solely for the purpose of music. whenever i am ripping cd's. the only other possible thing running would be me listening to music at the same time. so i would say it most likely not that there is too much going on at once?
i'm learning.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That sounds reasonable. I think that the third thing on my list is the culprit.

What I mean by that one is this: in order for the computer to rip the music quickly, the cd must spin around quickly in the drive, correct? I.E. when the computer is ripping at 7x, the disc must spin at least seven times as quickly on average as it does in a music cd player.

Compact discs are not perfectly flat -- they have some slight amount of warping. This warping has a significant impact on the drive's ability to spin the disc very quickly -- the more warped a disc is, the harder it gets to spin it at a high speed. It must work the drive motor harder, and there is more of a chance that the warpage will cause the bit on the disc surface to be mis-positioned so that the laser will not read it. When this happens, the drive detects it and slows down automatically.

For this reason, discs that are flatter will rip more quickly and ones that are more warped will rip more slowly....

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
WOW,, thanks,,
i must say that my cd's have not been 'hermeticly' sealed over the years.
i will deal with it by trying the suggestion of using a different tool to rip, then toss into itunes.
thanks!!!

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2005
California
I noticed after installing itunes 7 that my CD rip/import speeds dropped from 7-8+x down to 5x.

I got the speed to go back up with some changes to itunes library folder path. Not sure exactly what's going on since i kinda scrambled the my itunes library while encountering problems trying to create another itunes library clone on another drive for backup purposes.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
mdickson said:
You windows guys really should use EAC to rip.
I do. I rip to a single FLAC + CUE, create a NRG image from that and let iTunes rip from the virtual drive (after tweaking the CD config file to let me do that). Still don't rip on either Mac...

B

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I havn't had a problem with my ripping speed with the upgrade to 7. I actually think my ripping speed might be a little faster than normal if that's even possible

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
this sounds like interesting stuff! as soon as i get some time, i will first load 7.1,, then look into the eac, and mareo as well.
thanks alot,, i knew this forum would help me out!

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
i looked at the links you provided. to tell the truth, it sorta intimadates me.
i don't understand 99% of what they are talking about, and the warning about it being a beta system and they are not responsible for any hardware problems,, well, it just scared me a bit. they also mentioned it should be used by more experianced users. it just looks like more than i should take on.
i am downloading 7.1 now,, i'll see how that helps me.
am i just being a big whuusey?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.