Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solitarycow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I ordered my Powerbook on 1\19 and the estimated ship date was supposed to be 1\29. Now they've emailed me today (1\29) and they said it's been delayed even further to 2\4!!!

I don't know about everyone else but this is really really starting to piss me off!!!:mad: Is anyone else having this problem? They better have a good excuse for this (ie. PB upgrades would be a good one!)

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Re: MORE shipping delays!!!

Originally posted by solitarycow
I ordered my Powerbook on 1\19 and the estimated ship date was supposed to be 1\29. Now they've emailed me today (1\29) and they said it's been delayed even further to 2\4!!!

I don't know about everyone else but this is really really starting to piss me off!!!:mad: Is anyone else having this problem? They better have a good excuse for this (ie. PB upgrades would be a good one!)
You didn't say which model you ordered, but I assume it must be CTO. 3 weeks doesn't really seem all that outrageous... many people on here waited months for G5's... and while I understand, to some extent, your frustration, I have to wonder... "They better have a good excuse for this..." or.. what, exactly? You'll buy your Apple laptop from some other company?

solitarycow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
The PB I ordered is the following:

15" 1.25Ghz
Superdrive
Backlit Keyboard
1 stick 512MB RAM
80GB HD @ 5400rpm

It's true, it's not like I can go anywhere else to buy an Apple lol. It's just frustrating that it's taking THIS long for the feakin' thing to ship. I'm a film director and I've already had to push back shoot dates because believe it or not, we're using the PB to both edit on site AND as a prop.

But it sure as hell would be nice if an upgrade happened before the thing shipped and I'd get the revised PB. Is that what they would do? Give me the revised PB if an upgrade happened before ship?

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Why would you opt for a 15" after all this white spots nonsense?

Of course there are delays with it; Apple really never rectified the situation.

I think the hoopla over the 15" is far overrated; I had one myself, told Apple it was unacceptable, and got a free bump up.

You should've dumped the extra $300 to get a 17". The extra screen space is nice for cutting, too.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Have you heard anyone in last month or two complaining about white spots? (aside from me that is, mine is from the first "batch" and I haven't sent it in yet). I would say they fixed the problem.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
CANCEL IT NOW..!!!!!!!!!!

i have the feeling that there will be an apple ad at the super bowl and maybe an upgrade.

you don't want to get that sent out on the same day they do the upgrade.

it said the 4 and it could ship from apple on the 2nd when something get better.

I got the 12 g3 900 and it was sent out with the printer but the printer took 2 days and the ibook 2 weeks and not long after, the g4 came along and i paied 1849 for the ibook which now it's at 1499 and that's 350 difference. it's an ipod mini =( and the spec are better than the g3.

in x-mas i got the g4 800 and another 10G ipod on a thursday and got it next monday and that was the new year week.

because MSSF was coming so they had to sell the 10G fast and the extimated was a week.

the g3 900 at 640mb is soooo slow next to my g4 800 256. it's like a joke

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I concurr that they've probably worked the white spot issue out now; I'd be surprised if they hadn't, just on account of it being so repeatable, and I haven't heard as much about it recently, either. Seems unlikely there's going to be PB bumps in the immediate future, although anything's possible.

Personally, it doesn't seem that unreasonable for a CTO order; my G5 took over a month, and the last (only, actually) time I custom-configured a Dell, it took over three weeks to ship as well.

If you really, really need it fast, buy a standard model, and better yet get it from someone who has 'em in stock and ready to ship (Amazon et al).

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I would agree about buying a stock model now - or a refurb - lots in stock.
Buy it and get it now, save all the boxes and stuff and if a new one comes out in a few weeks sell on ebay and upgrade. Also, I appreaciate your wanting the faster hard drive but I suspect (and you can check here: http://www.barefeats.com) it'snotthat big a spped jump. I got a Ibook 933 and love it - will either sell it to pay for a G5 DP or keep it and upgrade the hard rive to 7200 RPM ($200 at Drive Solutions). Just upgraded a 4200 RPM drive in my dell 2.4G Laptop to 7200 RPM and it FLIES>
As a Mac tech told me - if you're going to upgrade big - Go REALLY BIG

pdrayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2004
Boston, MA
Ummm... ignore the rumors about G5 PowerBooks, Super Bowl ads, white spots, etc.

From time of order to actual delivery now appears to be just over 2 weeks. That's pretty quick.

Scheduling photo shoots where you will be using a PowerBook that isn't even delivered yet (did you schedule the shoot before you even ordered?) is living on the edge and doesn't show much advance planning. Perhaps it was necessary to cut it close... but I don't think Apple is underperforming here on the delivery side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.