Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I also got mine from JoWow a few days ago. Shipment says it's going to be here on the 23rd though. That's like, two weeks. From San Diego to Metro Detroit. I wonder if it would have been better to have just ordered it from Aevoe. Hopefully the shipping estimate is wrong.

I ordered mine from JoWow, and get this, I ordered on the 27th of Jan. Still haven't received it. I asked wassup and they told me it has been out of stock but it is NOW in stock. I'm like WTF? Why did you either just refund me or ship it out as soon as stock was in. I still haven't gotten a response back after emailing that this Thursday.. hoping they'll get it out soon, but I'm not happy with them at all. I ordered here b/c I didn't want to wait from the original site.

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
I ordered mine from JoWow, and get this, I ordered on the 27th of Jan. Still haven't received it. I asked wassup and they told me it has been out of stock but it is NOW in stock. I'm like WTF? Why did you either just refund me or ship it out as soon as stock was in. I still haven't gotten a response back after emailing that this Thursday.. hoping they'll get it out soon, but I'm not happy with them at all. I ordered here b/c I didn't want to wait from the original site.

Funny story: I called applecare today for the issue with my external hard drive from Iomega. More on that in another thread, BUT!

They told me to take it to my nearest applestore for a few tests from a genius.

Right when I pulled out of the driveway, I see some gigantic box sticking out of my mailbox. I turned around and got it, and it was the moshi clearguard. Hahah, I was so surprised, but it was here.

Initial thoughts:
-This thing is really thin. It's like a keyboard condom.
-The fit is great.
-I don't notice much difference in typing.
-It does stick to my fingers when I'm typing too fast and hit delete, but other than that, its a dream.
-There is a little bit of a different glare, but that's to be expected.
-It really could blow off if you've got your hands off of it in a light breeze.
-The fit for the function keys is hardly noticeable at all
-Sticks up a really teeny tiny bit too far out of the keyboard's cut out.

Overall grade: A-

A great product and recommended to all.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I am certainly in the minority here on this one. I'm honestly stunned people say they hardly notice a difference when typing. For me, it's a HUGE difference. It completely changes the way the keys react. I'm a pretty light typer, were I barely touch the keys when I type. Now, I can't do that. I really have to press down. I find my self missing a lot of key presses with this out, do to the way I type. I'm still forcing myself to use this while I type, to see if it breaks in, or I just get used to typing with it on.

Also, with the heat concerns, I did a couple of tests. Sitting idle, the heat levels are basically the same. It doesn't seem to make any difference, but when doing something processor intensive like a big render in Photoshop, the temperature difference was as follows...

Without the Clear Guard - 144ºF
With the Clear Guard - 153ºF

I ran the same test several times, and I got similar results each time, give or take 1 to 2 degrees. After running the test with the Clear Guard on, I immediately removed the guard and it was very warm, especially at the top end around the function keys.

Take it for what it's worth... It's not a lot of heat, but in some cases, it CAN add to the temperature. Because of this, if there's ever an issue with your Mac, I would suggest removing the Clear Guard before taking it to Apple, and not mention you use it. If they know it adds ANY heat at all, It would be very easy for them to place blame on you, and claim it voids the warranty.

solarisc

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2006
did anyone try this clearguard on macbook pro, the early 2008 version, not the UNIBODY. I saw the description on their website said all about the UNIBODY but nothing about the earlier 2008 version of the mac book pro.

Thanks much

apersianboyCOM

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
London, UK
did anyone try this clearguard on macbook pro, the early 2008 version, not the UNIBODY. I saw the description on their website said all about the UNIBODY but nothing about the earlier 2008 version of the mac book pro.

Thanks much

I think it should fit because my friend has a early 08 MBP with a iskin keyboard cover and we went into the Apple store and she put it on the unibody MBP and it fit so I think they have the same keyboard as unibody!

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
my clearguard finally shipped from jowow, blah, but not really since today is a holiday for mail so I guess it's really going out tomrrow. suckass

ScottCocoaBeach

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
my clearguard finally shipped from jowow, blah, but not really since today is a holiday for mail so I guess it's really going out tomrrow. suckass

Does anyone have a link on where I can order this? I can't find it on the Jowow website - I only see the palm guards listed.

Any help appreciated, alternative sites would be fine.

j3tang

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Toronto, Canada
i want this for my apple wireless keyboard but i'm not sure i can live with the overhang .. i guess i could trim the left, right and bottom sides to fit the keyboard .. has anyone tried doing this?

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
i want this for my apple wireless keyboard but i'm not sure i can live with the overhang .. i guess i could trim the left, right and bottom sides to fit the keyboard .. has anyone tried doing this?

It doesn't look like it'd be too hard. A metal ruler and a new Exacto blade would do.

Maybe even a paper cutter? I've never got a straight line out of one though. Perhaps you could use double stick tape on the bottom shear.

Yokomo

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi Guys,

I live in Sydney, I want to find out where I can get Moshi stuff for my old generation UMBP 15inch?

After Clearguard and Palm Guard. Best price of course..

Thanks.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Hi Guys,

I live in Sydney, I want to find out where I can get Moshi stuff for my old generation UMBP 15inch?

After Clearguard and Palm Guard. Best price of course..

Thanks.

I assume that's Sydney, Australia? I live in Melbourne, I just bought Clearguard straight from the company, Aevoe.com, $5 USD shipping and arrived within a week. Not bad at all considering it's shipped from US.

kim6ball

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2009
Are keyboard covers bad for your laptop? And does a silicone keyboard protector touch the screen when it closes?

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
Are keyboard covers bad for your laptop? And does a silicone keyboard protector touch the screen when it closes?

I've found no increase in heat from my testings. Because there are no cons, the pros far outweigh them. No shiny keys, protection from spills and dirt, quieter typing.

Yes, my Clearguard, when dirty enough, leaves some marks on the screen. I don't notice them unless I'm in direct sunlight or see them when the screen is off.

I still love my Moshi Clearguard. It's only gotten better after breaking it in.

It no longer sticks to my fingers, the keys are a little easier to press and I can't type on an uncovered keyboard anymore. I like the stiffness.

kim6ball

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2009
I've found no increase in heat from my testings. Because there are no cons, the pros far outweigh them. No shiny keys, protection from spills and dirt, quieter typing.

Yes, my Clearguard, when dirty enough, leaves some marks on the screen. I don't notice them unless I'm in direct sunlight or see them when the screen is off.

I still love my Moshi Clearguard. It's only gotten better after breaking it in.

It no longer sticks to my fingers, the keys are a little easier to press and I can't type on an uncovered keyboard anymore. I like the stiffness.

Thanks for your feedback. How about silicone covers? And whats a good price to pay for them?

TheAverageJoe

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Sry to revive an old thread, but are people still happy with their Moshi clearguard? Has anyone found a way to make it adhere to the keyboard better? Or is there a better product that will seal out spills/dirt better? Thanks.

For reference I plan on using it with my 13' MBA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.