Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Not really annoying to me, but kind of interesting...

When someone prefaces their next statement with:

"Truthfully..."
"Honestly..."
"Being frank..."

So basically everything else you said to me up until now was a lie... OK, I see. ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
"...you know what I'm sayin?"
Ooh, that's a good one, but I'm guilty of that occasionally same w/ "... ya know what I mean?"

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
IJ Reilly said:
Annoying, but considered grammatically correct, irregardless. ;)
Ugh, that one drives me crazy too. The word is "regardless." "Irregardless" is like a double negative.
I have a client who does seminars for writers. His "catch phrase" is "Let's rock 'n roll!" I want to punch him every time I hear it.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
IJ Reilly said:
"I could care less" (used when the opposite is meant)

A friend of mine and I make fun of this one all the time, choosing to say both, just to cover ourselves. "I cound care less, or, I couldn't care less, if you're so inclined, what he thinks."

I'm a huge soccer fan, so I play a lot of it, and watch a lot of it, and it annoys the heck out of me when my friends and family members say "offsides." It's "offside." Get it right, 'cause otherwise you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

OOOOhhh, I also HATE it when people misuse the word "literally." As in...

"Gas literally cost me an arm and a leg yesterday."
"It is literally hot as hell outside."
"I literally died laughing at that joke."

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Dont Hurt Me said:
One phrase thats bothered me is the Bloody this, Bloody that, the Brits use all the time...
I don't mind hearing "Brits" use this expression, but it really bugs me to hear Americans use it in an attempt to "sound British". :rolleyes:

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
This probably isn't going to resonate unless you're one of the two or three people from the Huntsville area that hang out at MacRumors, but there's a local radio talk show host who frequently uses the expression "happy horse-hockey". For example: "People like to fuss about the economy but I think it's all a bunch of happy horse-hockey".

I've lived in the south all my life and never heard this expression until this guy got his radio show recently. Makes me want to shoot the radio out like you wouldn't believe.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
toontra said:
H pronounced "haich" - like nails down a blackboard to me!

LOL me too...

Especially when those people say HBO!!

::EDIT:

I think for a while the digitized voice on VH1 said "H" like this back in the late 90's. I HATED it!!

image.php

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I guess to add a word that bothers me I would have to say it would be "Orientated".

I don't mind when a Britt, Ausie, or otherwise say it because it sounds good in their accent. Hearing "Orie-an-tay-ted" with a deep midwestern accent sounds really hick to me. It should be a banned word for anyone with a deep midwestern (US) accent to say. They should only use "oriented" :)

image.php

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
"Let's DO lunch. Let's DO a burger....etc"

Lunch and burgers are things you EAT and/or HAVE, not DO.

I HATE! that saying!

Listen...you can go ahead and "DO" a burger, but I don't want to be around when the authorities show up....

or, commonly heard in the office:

"Touch base with me..."

"I'm the liaison..."...First off, pronounce it right...secondly, you're not part of spoken French sentence, so never say that...ever.

"I'm so delinquent..." When someone is late. Just say "late"...surely delinquent isn't a word you should use in an attempt to sound intelligent.

Dude, I could go on forever, but it makes me mad just thinking about these things.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Josh said:
"Let's DO lunch. Let's DO a burger....etc"

Lunch and burgers are things you EAT and/or HAVE, not DO.

I HATE! that saying!

Listen...you can go ahead and "DO" a burger, but I don't want to be around when the authorities show up....

or, commonly heard in the office:

"Touch base with me..."

"I'm the liaison..."...First off, pronounce it right...secondly, you're not part of spoken French sentence, so never say that...ever.

"I'm so delinquent..." When someone is late. Just say "late"...surely delinquent isn't a word you should use in an attempt to sound intelligent.

Dude, I could go on forever, but it makes me mad just thinking about these things.

DO NOT drink water while reading this post!

Yeah I almost spit on the person next to me at Dunn Brothers (coffee shop)

image.php

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Any deeming of a negative to mean a positive, something like "that's sick", really annoys me. It just sounds foolish and uneducated somehow.

I hate reading the their/there/they're mistakes, although spoken you cannot tell. I also hate it when someone jumps between using "cannot" and "can't" in speech or in writing. Choose one and stay with it already!

"Is that okay?" following most any comment or question made by a non-confident.

The "izzle" and "ezzy" comments are plain annoying, as are "your-momma" jokes and "wanna" instead of "want to".

Dozens more, but those are high on the list for me :mad:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Oh, and anyone referring to something as being 'gay' when they really mean awful deserves an ice-pick through the forehead...

No... make it two icepicks through the forehead.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
"bless you" or "gesundheit" ("salud" in my case). It's just Idiotic :mad: :D It is SOOO dark ages to think that speaking such a word after someone sneezes is going to make that person healthy. Here in Mexico it is considered to be very impolite to ommit the word when someone sneezes. I hate it :(

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
840quadra said:
What are the most annoying phrases you commonly hear in your part of the world?....

"No"

"I like you as a friend"

"It's not you it's me"

"Stop following me or I'll call the Police"

"Hello. It's 4am who is this?"

"Hello. I Know it's you stop calling, I've already reported you"

"Oh please no! I never meant to lead you on or hurt your feelings, we can work this out"

"We have the house surrounded, let the girl go"

I hate those. Is it just me? :confused:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I agree with Josh, office-speak is some of the worst. Which is why Dilbert is so funny.

"downsizing" a person

"headcount"

"Human Resources" (very Matrix-sounding)

katchow

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
floyde said:
"bless you" or "gesundheit" ("salud" in my case). It's just Idiotic :mad: :D It is SOOO dark ages to think that speaking such a word after someone sneezes is going to make that person healthy. Here in Mexico it is considered to be very impolite to ommit the word when someone sneezes. I hate it :(

at work we say "pepper!"
:p

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Lord Blackadder said:
I agree with Josh, office-speak is some of the worst....
"Please cascade this information to your department"
"Rentalize" to realise rent from a previously unrented area.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Management-speak

Anything that comes out of the mouths of my managers...

"We needed to shoot that in the head." - referring to a bad idea

"Put together a deck on that." - referring to building a presentation

"We need to deskill the process." - referring to reducing the required skillset to perform job functions

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
emw said:
Anything that comes out of the mouths of my managers...

"We needed to shoot that in the head." - referring to a bad idea

"Put together a deck on that." - referring to building a presentation

"We need to deskill the process." - referring to reducing the required skillset to perform job functions

Management bollocks speak may lead me to jail.If I get close enough to Blair and happen to have a icepick I'm in trouble.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
When someone says, "Shut-up!", meaning do go on!

Sentences that have the word "teefs" in it. As in, " I went to the dentist, and he said my teefs had a cavity". Actually, that word cracks me up.

RIF=reduction in force=layoffs Or, "We need to have a RIF to prevent a loss this quarter".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.