Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have a Motorola V551 and a bluetooth USB adapter on my iBook. Using BT to transfer data between the iBook and phone works fine. However, I'd like to setup my computer and phone so when I'm on vacation, I can use my phone as a modem. My university provides us with free dial up, so that, plus free nights and weekends through Cingular means that if I'm not home, I can still surf the web (very slowly).

So Ive been messing around with it on my PowerMac trying to get it to work. I tried going through the wizard, and when I go to Internet Connect to have it dial, I get this error:
"Failed to open an RFCOMM serial channel. Check if authenticication needs to be enabled in your device."

Thanks

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
You need to pay for this service through Cingular.

Also, it will be VERY slow and if you exceed the bandwith limit or if you use it for too long then Cingular may do stuff like turn that feature off, etc.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
You have to go through your cell phone privider to get online. You can't just go on liek you would with a computer. Plus it's extremly sloooowww.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
dotdotdot said:
You need to pay for this service through Cingular.

Also, it will be VERY slow and if you exceed the bandwith limit or if you use it for too long then Cingular may do stuff like turn that feature off, etc.

Thats for GSM or whatever its called, correct? I'm talking about dialing a regular phone number that is an ISP access number, wouldn't that just take away from your plan's monthly minutes (or count towards free nights and weekends)?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
yg17 said:
Thats for GSM or whatever its called, correct? I'm talking about dialing a regular phone number that is an ISP access number, wouldn't that just take away from your plan's monthly minutes (or count towards free nights and weekends)?

Cingular may have blocked normal data calls (14.4k analog) through your phone to make you pay for their data access plan.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Oh, you meant the calling THROUGH your phone? I have news for you - sending mail through the postal service is basically faster than trying to send an email through a cell phone, and since Cingular offers it of up to speeds of over 110 KBPS (doubt it...), its better just to use that.

Also, just buy a wireless card and snoop around for a hotspot...

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I dont think its got anything to do with Cingular so far, I can't even get the phone to dial. I click connect and the phone doesn't do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.