Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Greetings,

My workplace has just switched me to Verizon, and given me the new Motorola e815 phone. I used to have the SE t637 on Cingular. I want to be able to sync my calendar with iCal like I could before over Bluetooth. I know iSync does not easily support Moto, and that Verizon has crippled its BT. Are there work arounds for the e815? Do I have to modify both iSync and the phone itself?

Any suggestions for getting this phone to work happily with my Macs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

thumb

btw, if this proves easy to do, I would certainly recommend this phone to others. Great price for a big screen, BT, and some on board memory + transflash.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I would like to know as well, as i might need to buy a new phone because my LG, the hinge broke, making it hard to open/close.
What BT features does it have?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
did you get it work?
can you download the pictures from the phone to your computer with a USB cable or BT?

Indohottie

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
The linked thread above is mine over at hofo..

I did get the metaclass edit to work and i can sync my address book and calendar.

Frank

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Let me just tell you that you are one lucky person!

I have the V710, which is ultimately the same as the e815, but worse camera wise, .1 mp less, worse front screen, worse software, core is older, phone os is more buggy, and has a worse keypad, and doesnt have V-Cast or email support.

I would do anything to trade my V710 to Verizon for an e815, but I need to wait two years. I guess they'll have a new phone by then.

But to answer the question:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=670243

And proof it works:

browse8ad.png

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
dotdotdot said:

I have the V710, which is ultimately the same as the e815, but worse camera wise, .1 mp less, worse front screen, worse software, core is older, phone os is more buggy, and has a worse keypad, and doesnt have V-Cast or email support.

I would do anything to trade my V710 to Verizon for an e815, but I need to wait two years. I guess they'll have a new phone by then.

And proof it works:

browse8ad.png

That's good news, you can sync everything. on the E815, can you take an MP3 and use it as a ring tone

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Well, it now looks like iSync 2.1 supports the e815, so that should at least cover iCal and contacts.

Has anyone tried it with 2.1. Until it is verified I might keep this hack going.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
puckhead193 said:
That's good news, you can sync everything. on the E815, can you take an MP3 and use it as a ring tone

Yes, if its like the V710. The V710 has an mp3 player built in and you can buy an adapter to use your headphones with it.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I downloaded the iSync update last evening, and sync'd my calendar to my e815 via bluetooth just fine. Even can surf the internet on my PB using the phone as a bluetooth modem.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
skybolt, did you have to do any of that crazy seem editing stuff for your phone and isync to work, or did it just work on its own? It seems like letting you use the phone as a bluetooth modem would be something Verizon would work very hard to not let you do. Is that an option you're paying extra for? Or (again) did you just go ahead and modify your phone? thanks.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
absurdio -- I'm reluctant to do seem editing, so the answer is no. I just paired the phone to the PB using the bluetooth setup in Sys Prefs. I made sure I have the latest update to iSync, and it worked just fine for sync'ing. Then I enabled DUN by entering ##DIALUP on the phone. Then I set up in Internet Connect using QNC as username and password. Number to dial is #777. I used a generic motorola modem script I got from Ross Barkman's homepage (google will find). That's all! By not doing the seem editing, I am unable to transfer files, etc. from phone to PB and vice versa, so am somewhat limited there. I have no data plan except TXT, PIX and FLIX which is just for text messaging from the phone. Don't think that has anything to do with the other. According to the bill I got yesterday, this just uses minutes.

Good luck!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
dotdotdot said:

And proof it works:

browse8ad.png
Ha, that's my thread on HowardForums! :D I've been using my E815 since it came out a few weeks ago very smoothly with OS X. I've got OBEX working and iSync over BT. Very cool phone.

You've just got to seem edit it with a Windows box to get OBEX transfers over BT working.

M3Addict

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
Not iSyncing with my E815 here....

I downloaded the iSync update for both my MacMini and PB. iSync recognizes my phone, but states "iSynch can not connect to this device"... The BT device setup app will recognize the phone but all the services are grayed-out and therefore not selectable. Any thoughts or solutions are greatly appreciated!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
M3Addict said:
I downloaded the iSync update for both my MacMini and PB. iSync recognizes my phone, but states "iSynch can not connect to this device"... The BT device setup app will recognize the phone but all the services are grayed-out and therefore not selectable. Any thoughts or solutions are greatly appreciated!
Have you done any seem edits? Some of the seem edits disable iSync syncing. There is a seem floating around on HowardForums that includes OBEX and allows BT iSync syncing.

Also, you need to be running iSync 2.1, which is Tiger only. Try deleting the pairing, deleting all the iSync preferences, then pair again. See if that solves the problem.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
So, MoparShaha...

1) do i understand correctly that you've got evertything working as it should? i sync updating AND obex file transfers both over bluetooth? And in a way that Verizon doesn't charge you for or anything? If so, that sounds great.

2) How easy is the necessary modding...and how easy would it be for someone who has absolutely no experience at all? i mean i'm not even a beginner. i'm pre-novice. heh. But i'd very much like to have all that stuff working. And on a related note: how easy is it to undo the the changes you make if you make a mistake (as it seems i'd be likely to do).

Sorry if this is an amateur-ish waste of time, but the whole world of cell phones - never mind the modding of them - is new to me...so i can use all the help i can get.

M3Addict

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
Still no go...

Moparhaha,

Nope, no seem edits done. Tried deleting the preference files, but still no go...

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
M3Addict said:
Moparhaha,

Nope, no seem edits done. Tried deleting the preference files, but still no go...
You're sure you're running iSync 2.1? That's very strange that it doesn't work on a stock phone then. Unless your phone is defective, there's gotta be some preference file on the Mac that's screwing things up. Delete the pairing. Then, create a new user account on your Mac and pair again. See if iSync works then.

absurdio, it's not too hard to do the seem edits. You do need a Windows PC and the necessary software. As long as you make backup copies of the seems from your phone, you can always revert back to a stock configuration. Check out this thread for info on the editing. You need to download the seem on this page to get OBEX AND iSync working (scroll down a bit, it's called 2742_0001_obex_isync_v2.zip). There are some other 2742 seems floating around that enable OBEX, but they break iSync syncing.

It's not too hard, but can be intimidating for a newbie. Seem editing isn't too bad though, because you can't really destroy your phone (well, if you try hard enough). It's not the same as flashing it, which can quickly render your phone a brick if you don't know what you're doing. Just do as much reading as you can to try to get a feel for it.

Oh, and BTW, VirtualPC will not work for this. You need a real PC.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
skybolt said:
absurdio -- I'm reluctant to do seem editing, so the answer is no. I just paired the phone to the PB using the bluetooth setup in Sys Prefs. I made sure I have the latest update to iSync, and it worked just fine for sync'ing. Then I enabled DUN by entering ##DIALUP on the phone. Then I set up in Internet Connect using QNC as username and password. Number to dial is #777. I used a generic motorola modem script I got from Ross Barkman's homepage (google will find). That's all! By not doing the seem editing, I am unable to transfer files, etc. from phone to PB and vice versa, so am somewhat limited there. I have no data plan except TXT, PIX and FLIX which is just for text messaging from the phone. Don't think that has anything to do with the other. According to the bill I got yesterday, this just uses minutes.

Good luck!

I can't seem to get it to work. I can iSync fine over bluetooth and enable dialup networking on the phone but I can't get the computer to connect with it.

This is what I did, tell me if I am doing anything wrong. I opened the Network preferences pane in System preferences. Chose to show bluetooth. Set the modem to the Motorola script I got from Ross Barkman's homepage and put in the number and passwords that you gave. When I click dial it opens Internet connect with the same info in it and I click connect.
At this point I get the error "Could not open the communication device." I have tried all of the Motorola Modem scrips from that site.

Any ideas, because I would love to be able to use DUN.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Nevermind, I got it. I had to go back and configure the phone in the Bluetooth Setup utility to allow it to be used as a network connection.

Thanks for the info.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
What a timely thread...

I'm interested in the e815 as well, and just came across this page while Googling. (I read MR a lot, BTW.) So just to be a noob, let me get this straight.

The e815 can sync with iSync right out of the box?

With seem editing it can be used as a network interface?

What do I pay to Verizon for this privilege? Is there a monthly fee? Is the airtime charged any differently than normal airtime?

If I was going to use it to check e-mail on the road, how easy is it in OS X to open and close the connection in order to save minutes while reading and responding to messages?

Thanks--

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
MoparShaha - thanks for the links. The how-to seems really well laid out ...and the successful posts that follow it are pretty encouraging. My e815 should be arriving in at most another day or two (along with a legit copy of MPT and the USB cable) and then i can begin editing and/or mangling it (yeah, I'm excited). The only thing I'm not clear on (and again, forgive me if this is too amateurish) is where/how the 2742_0001_obex_isync_v2.zip file fits into the tutorial. It's important to me that isync functionality be maintained, so I'd happily follow your advice and use that file, but I don't see anywhere in SClark10000's quick-start/tutorial to incorporate that file. This is a shot in the dark, but do I just do "Load from file" and "Save to phone" (as mentioned here ) instead of making the individual changes manually? Perhaps it'll become clearer when I actually have the phone in front of me, but I'm trying to figure out as much of this as I can in advance. Thanks for your help (and patience).

[edit: the site that has the 2742_0001_obex_isync_v2.zip file also talks a lot about "the BFEINZIMER edit" and it's not exactly clear to me how much of that I have to have done before using that 2742_0001_obex_isync_v2.zip file. ...Or maybe I just disregard BFEINZIMER's approach if i'm following SClark's guide? I'm just not totally sure which parts of which guides to use and how exactly to piece them together...]

jLog

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2005
Was able to sync via bluetooth once....

:confused:

first off thanks to all who've posted on this thread, i got a lot of info out of it and it helped me decide to switch from the vx8100 to the e815.

i got the phone yesterday went home paired it with my g5 imac, with isync 2.1, the phone came up on isync, was able to sync my contacts and part of my calendar (only two weeks for some reason).

i was so excited that it worked without any hacks or edits, but when i tried to sync again it says conection can't be made. did any of you experience this? what am i doing wrong and how do i fix it?

also (i'm new, if you haven't noticed) this ##DIALUP to enable your phone... how do i do that? i tried just entering ##342587 (dialup) and hitting send but it just tries to dial the #.

any help is appreciated.

J

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
jLog said:
:confused:

first off thanks to all who've posted on this thread, i got a lot of info out of it and it helped me decide to switch from the vx8100 to the e815.

i got the phone yesterday went home paired it with my g5 imac, with isync 2.1, the phone came up on isync, was able to sync my contacts and part of my calendar (only two weeks for some reason).

i was so excited that it worked without any hacks or edits, but when i tried to sync again it says conection can't be made. did any of you experience this? what am i doing wrong and how do i fix it?

also (i'm new, if you haven't noticed) this ##DIALUP to enable your phone. how do i do that i tried just entering ##342587 (dialup) and hitting send but it just tries to dial the #.

any help is appreciated.

J

as for isync 2.1, I have had no troubles getting them to sync well. I would recommend deleting the pairing on both the phone and the computer. restart both. enable the dialup (type it in fast and don't hit send, it should then say "dialup enabled"). then set up bluetooth device as mobile phone. it will let you set up both isync and modem pref at same time. for modem script, choose Verizon PC 5220 (or something like that).

restart both again.

now both should work.

as for the dialup tethering (phone as modem), be careful, no one really knows how Verizon is going to charge for this service or if at all.

go to
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=294 and search around for "DUN pricing" and "force 1x" for more information.

good luck

thumb

jLog

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2005
A big thank you to all!!

thumb,

i did exactly as you said and viola... syncing perfectly!! :D

thanks!!!

peace,
j

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.