Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdn_chill

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2005
M3 Summit

Well, if you're really eager to see this phone, I know that they will be showing it to the tastemaker crowd at the M3 Summit in Miami, March 23 until 26.

Motorola is a sponsor of the event, and has used it in past (and again this year) to hype their new products.

http://m3summit.com/main.php

Someone should get tickets and snap some pictures of it. Apparently Motorola is spending huge money to fly in key people for this underground launch.

Misplaced Mage

macrumors regular
Maestro64 said:
Yes, sad but probably true,

Do not forget they want to be able to charge for DL bandwidth, as well as charge for the ability to use your songs as a ringtone and while you are at it have the song expire after so many uses and have to buy and DL it all over again

You all might want to blame Moto for this, but the problem is Moto and other cell phone companies made a pack with the devil here. As soon as they allowed the PC to give phones way to users it took all the value out of the phone and put it on the services the PC provides. Companies like Moto have no real power here as evident with what just happen.
Got it in one. We tend to forget that, unlike Apple, Motorola doesn't normally sell consumer products directly to the end consumer, or at least doesn't sell many. Motorola's primary customers are the cell phone carriers, so if they don't want to see a feature in a phone these days, Motorola doesn't have a huge choice in the matter. After all, "The customer is always right." :eek:

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
B-52 Macer said:
As if you don't pay for data transfer already? Or maybe you mean that they want an extra iTMS fee! :eek:
ehm.. vapour ware.. ehm...
This is getting really embarrassing.
Why don't do it Apple style, show the god damn thing when you have it. Maybe you can't ship the first units until several months later, but don't go around and talk about products you don't have! What was the meaning of showing the wrong phone with iTunes recently? All Motorola has done is to create confusion!

Exactly, Steve Jobs talked about the in the MWSF keynote in January, and Motorola has already demo'd the features at some other conference. I don't really understand what they can't just show the phone, bask in the ooo-aaa, and say that it will be available in June?

If Motorola is just worried about curbed sales between now and release, they shouldn't have been talking about it so much to begin with.

Misplaced Mage

macrumors regular
Porchland said:
Exactly, Steve Jobs talked about the in the MWSF keynote in January, and Motorola has already demo'd the features at some other conference. I don't really understand what they can't just show the phone, bask in the ooo-aaa, and say that it will be available in June?

If Motorola is just worried about curbed sales between now and release, they shouldn't have been talking about it so much to begin with.
FUD and stock holders, most likely. Remember, Motorola sells to the carriers, not us, and the carriers buy from multiple phone vendors on what has to be substantial lead times so they can orchestrate sales plans, promotions, gauge demand, etc. Verizon buys heavily from LG and Samsung, for example. And, of course, you want your stock holders to know that you're not sitting idly by while your competition introduces new products that won't ship in six months or more. It's a Catch-22 situation any way you look at it.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
Porchland said:

I do not think this has anything to do with curbing present sales, I think it has more to do with the Service Providers having some say in how this all works. I suspect they do not want Moto setting any sort of expectation of how it works and whether you can use a USB cable to upload your own songs or not. Most of the time Moto and other companies make products to the Service providers specifications, however, they do development on new products without input from the service provider and try to sell them directly to the public as well as offering them though the normal channels, the Razor is such a product.

I bet in the end, if you want a fully functional version of this phone, you will have to buy it from Moto, by if you by from a service provider as part of a contract it will be limited and costly.

maveness

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2004
Another article on this...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050310/eu_motorola_itunes_3.html

Most salient quotes...

Motorola spokeswoman Monica Rohleder: She asserted that the last-minute change in plans was no reflection of a dispute with carriers who offer Motorola phones in their handset lineups.

"Absolutely nothing went wrong," she said. "It was solely our decision to hold off the announcement."

and

Volker Haebel, marketing director of Motorola's German division, said a launch could come in the United States within a few weeks.

"The partners have to dance together," he said, referring to the marriage of Motorola's cell phones with Apple's music platform. "You have to find the rhythm."

He said the iTunes program would work just like the version available to computer users. The software would be compatible, and people who download iTunes to their phones would then be able to transfer the songs to their computers and portable iPod music players.

Yeah, with dance partners the question is generally "Who's leading?" Looks like SOMEBODY feels that their toes are being stepped on.

Things that make you go 'hmm.'

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
Well, if Vodafone aren't interested (as per the article) then that's a big deal, as they are the biggest. Personally this pisses me off, because I find VF a terrible provider and I'm itching to change. I just need a nice phone / package to change to.

I think even if Apple/Motorola only got sign-up from a smaller carrier, it would make people switch carrier! I mean, what other 'big' reason do people have to go with one provider over another? It's only cost, and most gadget-freaks don't give a knat's **** about that - everyone is just waiting for the killer app...

lalcan

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Left of the center
Am i the only one to see the heavy hand of M$ twisting carrier's arms to offer those aweful "smartphones" instead of iTunes-moto mobile?

You all know in the old days M$ menaced PC companies to either sell OS/2 and pay premium price for Windows or drop OS/2 and receive Windows for a VERY small price, you all also know how it turned out. That was the day i realized how a screaming minority can actually push a silent mayority into the dark path.

Be aware, be very aware.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
lalcan said:
Am i the only one to see the heavy hand of M$ twisting carrier's arms to offer those aweful "smartphones" instead of iTunes-moto mobile?

You all know in the old days M$ menaced PC companies to either sell OS/2 and pay premium price for Windows or drop OS/2 and receive Windows for a VERY small price, you all also know how it turned out. That was the day i realized how a screaming minority can actually push a silent mayority into the dark path.

Be aware, be very aware.

Which smartphones run a MS OS?

Misplaced Mage

macrumors regular
lalcan said:

Be aware, be very aware.
Oh, they're very aware, which is why Intel and Microsoft have made so little inroads to date in controlling the cell phone market the way they do PCs. They don't call the shots in the cell phone market, the carriers do. Windows Mobile (or whatever they're calling it this year...) only runs in a relative handful of high-end smart phones, and the carriers offer them because they see a market for them. Same thing with Blackberry. Same thing with Palm. All are overshadowed in marketshare by Symbian-based phones, and we're still only talking about the smart phones, a small, expensive (but high-margin) niche market. The vast majority of low- to mid-range cell phones still run various proprietary, well-entrenched operating systems, or, more recently, Linux variants. PC manufacturers originally got locked into using Microsoft because they really had no viable alternatives (i.e., they wouldn't run popular MS-DOS and Windows-based productivity applications, or games) prior to Linux (remember, Apple hasn't licensed for quite a while now). This is far from the case with cell phones at this time.

As far as hardware goes, Freescale (formerly Motorola's semiconductor arm), Nokia, Texas Instruments, Qualcomm, and others supply the bulk of the CPU/DSP chips in use in cell phones. Intel's a newcomer to the market for these. I think the only cell phone I've seen to date that actually had an Intel CPU was a Windows smartphone -- what a surprise. Intel's going to have to make it worth the cell phone manufacturers' while to scrap their existing developmental and manufacturing infrastructures to change architectures, and you can bet the other CPU/DSP vendors aren't going to take it lying down.

I'm far more concerned about which DRM scheme/file format will dominate among the carriers for online cell phone music stores. This is the reason Apple made an alliance with Motorola so early in the game. The problem is that it's the carriers that really call the shots these days; they're simply not going to buy a phone (or a phone feature) today that doesn't contribute to their bottom line somehow. Google a bit for the V710 Verizon bluetooth crippling class action suit to get an idea of how far this has already gone. If Microsoft's Janus DRM for WMA gains a foothold with the carriers, that's potentially a bigger problem for Apple than Windows smartphones ever will be, because the DRM can be platform agnostic. The iTMS could be shut out by carriers who only want to deal with Microsoft's DRM -- or are given a deal on it, initially. It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft's used a loss-leader strategy to gain marketshare.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Neuro said:
Well, if Vodafone aren't interested (as per the article) then that's a big deal, as they are the biggest. Personally this pisses me off, because I find VF a terrible provider and I'm itching to change. I just need a nice phone / package to change to.

I think even if Apple/Motorola only got sign-up from a smaller carrier, it would make people switch carrier! I mean, what other 'big' reason do people have to go with one provider over another? It's only cost, and most gadget-freaks don't give a knat's **** about that - everyone is just waiting for the killer app...
This is why you (and anyone else that wants the iTunes phone) should go into Vodafone stores and keep asking when the Moto iTunes phone will be available. If everyone keeps asking for it, they'll have to offer it. Let them know that you would change carriers if someone else offered it.

I don't know how the cell phone business works in Europe and England, but in the US, you get locked into a contract and can't switch until the contract is up.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
What I want to know is if the iTunes software will be extensible in some way. That is, possibly can take on additional modules for more functionality. In particular, I'd like to see a Salling Clicker type feature on the Motorola phones so you can control iTunes on your computer via Bluetooth. It's the one thing that makes me jealous of Sony/Ericsson (aside from the crap Motorola tries to pass of as a "phone book"). The higher-end Moto phones like my V600 and Razr have a higher build quality and much more sophisticated design. It's the software that needs help.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
ftaok said:
This is why you (and anyone else that wants the iTunes phone) should go into Vodafone stores and keep asking when the Moto iTunes phone will be available. If everyone keeps asking for it, they'll have to offer it. Let them know that you would change carriers if someone else offered it.

I don't know how the cell phone business works in Europe and England, but in the US, you get locked into a contract and can't switch until the contract is up.

Nice idea, but I doubt that the spotty teenagers who work in phone shops are really going to give a toss about what you ask for, and are unlikely to feed the request back to anyone who does...

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
I agree. I think it would take a great bit of effort to get EVERYONE to go to a phone dealer and keep asking for it. I doubt that would have any impact at all on how fast it comes out. By the way this was my 500th post :D

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Could I care less about this new Moto phone?....erm....No. Do I give a rats a** about this phone?.....No. Do I want Apple to finally bring iSync support to the Nokia 7610 and many other SyncML phones?..........YES :mad:

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
CaptainCaveMann said:
I agree. I think it would take a great bit of effort to get EVERYONE to go to a phone dealer and keep asking for it. I doubt that would have any impact at all on how fast it comes out. By the way this was my 500th post :D

Does anyone even know what service providers even carry Motorola phones?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Sunrunner said:
Does anyone even know what service providers even carry Motorola phones?
In the US, Verizon Wireless, SprintPCS, Cingular & AT&T Wireless, T-Mobile, Nextel, US Celluar, Boost Mobile ...

Pretty much all of them (at least in the US).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.