Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
xsnightclub said:
However, it is reassuring to know that you have personally sat in on the marketing meetings for this new product and are able to give first hand knowledge of the target demographic.
Before you go off on someone, maybe you should read up a bit on the news: "What we've talked about is a something that is valuable for the mass market," [Apple VP Eddy] Cue says. "It has to be a phone in the middle-tier of the market, not a $500-tier phone.

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
Apple //e said:
i think it would be cool if it had a mechanical scroll wheel that you used to dial like the old phones

It might be a nice feature to be able to switch to from the default touch-tone interface. A cool look at what I can do with my phone feature. Cell phone features are rarely out of necessity or a matter of form following function.

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
dongmin said:
Before you go off on someone, maybe you should read up a bit on the news: "What we've talked about is a something that is valuable for the mass market," [Apple VP Eddy] Cue says. "It has to be a phone in the middle-tier of the market, not a $500-tier phone.

So you are assuming that that they cannot make a phone similar to the E680 with iTunes for under $500, I don't know where you live, but $300 phones are the high-end- Moto razor is $349.00.
If the Apple phone does not impress people with Style as well as function, then it will fail, and it will be their own fault.
People expect Apple products to be cutting edge and stylish, not re-hashes of typical Motorola generic phones. Which is why Moto lost it first place market dominance, they need this to be a hit as well as Apple.

So before you go off on people going off, do some market research other than reading posts on a rumor board.

Attachments

• razr.jpg
    razr.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 155
  • rzrdet.jpg
    rzrdet.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 113

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
virividox said:
g5 cell phone :) hahah

im still a big lover of cell phones that allow me to call and text :) simplicty

so what, that would be cooled the breath of god?

dnnx

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
combination ipod flash & moto phone???
sounds intersting.

My Moto V710 has a mini sd slot and can play MP3's. So the techonology is already there. It will probably be the first Non Apple Fairplay device.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
iPhone

This article refers to the Motorola phone as the "iPhone" in the headline.

However, there is no explanation of the basis for calling it that, and it could be an episode of idiocy.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
xsnightclub said:
So you are assuming that that they cannot make a phone similar to the E680 with iTunes for under $500, I don't know where you live, but $300 phones are the high-end- Moto razor is $349.00.

The Motorola Razr V3 can be purchased for $350 only with a new contract. You get it at that price because it's subsidized by the carrier.

The retail price for the phone, without subsidies, is $650-$700.

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
frozenstar said:
The Motorola Razr V3 can be purchased for $350 only with a new contract. You get it at that price because it's subsidized by the carrier.

The retail price for the phone, without subsidies, is $650-$700.

Have you ever paid full retail for a cell phone? Your point is moot.
Your sufficient level of common sense is amazing. Good thing companies no longer need marketing commitees, because common sense is sufficient.

Full retail for a moto v60 is 229.00, no one is gonna pay that.

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
SiliconAddict said:
*shrugs* Weeee a phone that can play music. Talk about a gimmick. Anyone want to hazard a guess on battery life? So you are bopping to your tunes for an hour and get a call. Suddenly your phone dies because your music ate the majority of your battery before you took the call. Joy.

Can't flash players from companys like Creative go 12 hours on a single AAA battery? A cell phone battery has more juice than that. A lot more.

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
With prices like this who needs a contract

Here is the Moto E680, $579.99 priced as shown WITH-OUT contract requirement.
List price is $649.99
Obviously this phone will be cheaper with service contracts.

Given the %50 discount with service contract for the Razor phone, that would put the e680 at about $325.00 with 2yr contract.

Attachments

• e680.jpg
    e680.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 141

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Such a phone's success here will depend if the carriers here will offer the usual discounts for first time connectors & switchers with this phone. No one I know pays full price for new phones.

BruinJohn

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2004
Bay Area, CA
cool picture

malibux said:

I think that this photo is cool, even though it is just a model for presentation purposes. I can't wait for the real one because it seems that since most phones now have color screens, this motorola/apple phone might be just a simpler version of an iPod Photo. Personally, I hope it is as small as the razor because phones like the treo are too big and clunky for me. But I do think that bluetooth is a must. Oh well, can't wait for Tuesday.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
frequeniquity said:
that's just weird and sad and kinda gross :D

Yah what’s even worse is I'm one of them. :eek: I would pay the penalty fee to break my contract with Nextel if one of the carriers came out with a Apple PDAPhone. :D

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
AirUncleP said:
Can't flash players from companys like Creative go 12 hours on a single AAA battery? A cell phone battery has more juice than that. A lot more.

The parent post is right. Playing MP3's will kill battery life.

Using BT on My SE P900 eats battery life - streaming music will murder it, if this were possible. I won't even talk about using GPRS and the effects on the battery life...

You will have very poor battery life when downloading your music and to play them on your phone.

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
But still relatively ugly, IMO

is that antenna looking thing on top of inset phone is a charger cable or something.

Attachments

• motoitunes.jpg
    motoitunes.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 719

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
xsnightclub said:
Looking closely at the inset photo you can see the two phones in the picture are different models.
But still relatively ugly, IMO

Uhm, maybe not, if that antenna looking thing on top of inset phone is a charger cable or something.

True. And Moto have 6 models out IIRC in the first half, and success of the Razor suggests to me a few flips itunes/ipod phones will also appear...I hope...

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
SiliconAddict said:
*shrugs* Weeee a phone that can play music. Talk about a gimmick. Anyone want to hazard a guess on battery life? So you are bopping to your tunes for an hour and get a call. Suddenly your phone dies because your music ate the majority of your battery before you took the call. Joy.

I think someone else mentioned this already, but a flash mp3 player uses much less battery than a cell phone. It might be that listening to music for an hour would only take up a few minutes of talk time (or something like that.)

How about going were we need the most innovation? How about Apple takes the smartphone / PDAPhone to the next level? Palm’s OS on the Treo sucks. For the love of god its almost a 10 year old OS that can't even multitask or even has protected memory!??! Too cludgy. Windows Mobile or even their Smartphone software blows. It wasn’t designed for the phone. Its been shoehorned into it and it does a particularly crappy job. Apple needs to fill this gap with an Apple branded iPhone or iTalk or whatever. The industry has a million solutions all over the board. Some have some good ideas behind them. Some of them just plain suck. It’s a mess. Sort of sounds like the portable MP3 player before Apple jumped into the fray doesn’t it? Come on Apple. You have your iPod. Release the hounds and get another consumer oriented device on the market!

I never considered this, but you are absolutely spot on here. I haven't seriously believed the iPhone and Apple PDA rumors, but you have me thinking. The 3 main smartphone OS's- Palm, Windows Mobile, and Symbian- were all originally PDA OS's (I would say Symbian has been modified the most though.) We're all sort of used to that interface approach, but there's a great chance for Apple to revolutionize the smart phone interface like they revolutionized with the iPod. How? Who the heck knows, that's for Apple to figure out. Who would've anticipated the scroll wheel, or even the click wheel, before it came out?

I'm sure that Apple has at least discussed this with Motorola, and considered working with them on more than iTunes compatibility. Maybe they even have a bunch of different prototypes in their respective labs. Also, doing this iTunes-compatibility thing first gives Apple some real-world experience into designing cell phone interfaces- it's not like they can waltz in with no prior working experience and design the ultimate smart phone. The devil is always in the details with this sort of thing, and Apple should be gaining some valuable experience here (just as the iPod has gone through multiple iterations over the years.) Actually, even their experience with the iPod helps since it is also a handheld device.

This could be a real coup for Motorola as well. It seems that competition in the cell phone market is really tough. One day you're up with the hottest models, a year later you're in the dumps because you didn't anticipate the next trend. If they were to lock in some sort of partnership with Apple, it could really differentiate their products.

I'm still long on Apple stock for the long run (have you seen the price today!), because in addition to iPod and the Halo effect for the Mac, you never know what new product category they could bust out in next. Over the next couple of years I am sure we will see at least one or maybe 2 totally new products from Apple. If even one of them is a minor hit, then Apple stock will continue to rise.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
SiliconAddict said:
Yah what’s even worse is I'm one of them. :eek: I would pay the penalty fee to break my contract with Nextel if one of the carriers came out with a Apple PDAPhone. :D

I have to say I'm one of them, too. I love my Tungsten T3, and I'm very happy with the Verizon service on my LG phone, but I'd dump them both in a hot second if Apple came out with a PDA/phone done the way only Apple can do it.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
powermac666 said:
I have to say I'm one of them, too. I love my Tungsten T3, and I'm very happy with the Verizon service on my LG phone, but I'd dump them both in a hot second if Apple came out with a PDA/phone done the way only Apple can do it.

The funny thing is I dumped my Palm Tungsten C after I got an iPod Mini, because I just store my PIM information on that. I had recently bought an iBook, and the awesome sleep feature sort of eliminated my need for the Palm (in combination with the iPod Mini.)

I think any discussion of an Apple smartphone would begin with what actual features or uses that Apple would anticipate users wanting/needing. Would it mainly be accessing info (PIM, text/email, text updates/information from the web) or manipulating info (all the myriad things you can do on a Palm.) I think Apple would stick to a reduced feature set that is done very well. The problem with PDA's in general is that the makers have added tons of features over the years, but that they are shoehorned into a format (small screen, slow user input methods) that is not ideal for many computing tasks.

The way I might imagine an Apple smart phone is something with a supremely simple interface- default mode is to talk, but otherwise you have a list of choices up front- iTunes, iPhoto (or equivalent), Messages (text or email), .Mac, News, Weather, Stocks, Sports, etc...Make your selection, and boom- you're instantly there without any significant delays or having to drill down through too many obscure menus. I think Sherlock would be the type of interface used for accessing info (simple, targeted, elegant), rather than a web browser (more versatile but not as clean or organized, problematic on a small screen.)

It's a common adage that 90% of PDA users only use the pre-installed apps, so Apple would focus heavily on that, rather than worry about developing a complete mobile computer OS. It would have some expandibility, but not as much as Palm or Windows Mobile.

I think a smartphone like this would also be more attractive to Apple than a PDA. A lot of people would use a smartphone like this, while not nearly as many people want a PDA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.