Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Estabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
This is probably a pretty stupid question, but I just downloaded a program and it says that there are "no mountable file systems". What does this mean and how do I get a mountable file system?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm assuming you're downloading either a demo or a legit patch, as opposed to a CD rip of a game you don't own.

What that means is just what it says--that the disk mounter can't find any valid filesystems on the image. Usually what this means is that it's a corrupt disk image. It might be in a format that the MacOS doesn't recognize, but that's unlikely.

Worth noting that there are a few circumstances under which the OS can freak out and refuse to mount perfectly valid disk images. I've seen this happen once or twice under 10.3.9, although in my case a restart fixed it. Other people have had more severe and difficult-to-figure out problems with the same symptom, but you'll have to Google for suggestions on that topic if it's your issue.

RubberAphexTwin

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2007
oh you respected gentlemen, and your internet vigilante attitudes. I can see fingers get pretty tired of "assuming it was purchased" 200 times in different forums.
Why don't we find a solution, I like this problem, it's one of those underrated and ignored ones.

oh, don't worry, it's not a stupid question at all, have faith, the answer will come.

I vote for "no mountable file systems" in top 10 mac issues!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.