Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
Recently got my hands on the Mous Limitless 4 - Aramid Fiber case! That’s not all, I have the Limitless 3 too!
So here’s a not so in-depth review of the same!

Looks:
These cases look absolutely fantastic! Especially the wood! I have been a great fan of their finish form the start, and these continue the trend. The case is high quality and built to last. The Aramid Fiber case has a nice matte look to it but somehow gathers smudges!

Feel:
The grip on the case is just about okay! These aren’t otters that pull your pockets out along with them! At the same time, they don’t slide off your hand either; it’s a fine balance. The Limitless 4 feel significantly thinner than the Limitless 3 (and they are too!) That’s thanks to the missing sim tray inside that I absolutely loved about the Mous cases! But I won’t be complaining about the same since I have both the versions on me! I travel a lot and it has come handy to save my SIM card and ejector in a safe place.

Protection:
I’ve had these cases before and they sure do protect the phone! Period. Trust them.

Fit:
These fit like a glove! On the limitless 3 there is a VERY THIN border of the metal that you can see of the phone which is fixed on the Limitless 4. Both the cases are too tight to be removed and swapped regularly. I would not swap these cases often. The case leaves enough room for most brands screen guards to be installed. There is a raised lip on the top and bottom as usual to keep the screen off the surface

Downsides:
It’s a struggle to get to the mute switch; Case too tight to swap every other day. Pricing? This is one of the more expensive cases, but then, it’s worth the price!

Any more questions? Please feel free to ask!

39F56026-B842-4DFD-822D-85BD69FFAC08.jpeg

04757121-2F27-46E4-B8D9-8969FA14CABB.jpeg

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
nice review and pics. the tight fit and hard to remove is why i won’t buy it. i also read elsewhere that the MagSafe strength is weak. how does it seem to you?

DoorsFreak87

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2020
Does the L 4.0 appear to be a dust magnet? Are the relief cuts(slits) around the volume, eyelet on one of the sides, symmetrical bottom cutouts and other cutouts accumulate dust, lint, and debris quickly? Also is the new tpu internal lining appear to be less protective to the back against scratches as opposed to the 3.0's microfiber internal lining? Lastly, how is the magnet strength. The only youtuber to review the 4.0 claims the magnets are as strong as the Apple cases. Are you finding that to be true?

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
Does the L 4.0 appear to be a dust magnet? Are the relief cuts(slits) around the volume, eyelet on one of the sides, symmetrical bottom cutouts and other cutouts accumulate dust, lint, and debris quickly? Also is the new tpu internal lining appear to be less protective to the back against scratches as opposed to the 3.0's microfiber internal lining? Lastly, how is the magnet strength. The only youtuber to review the 4.0 claims the magnets are as strong as the Apple cases. Are you finding that to be true?
Honestly not, it gathers just as much dust as any other case would. And I’ve seen the only review online, I don’t have other MagSafe accessories for me to try it out sorry! If I get my hands on one, I’ll update this post.

PS: if they did used the same magnets as limitless 3, these were gonna be hell a lot stronger. But I don’t think that’s the case. If I hold a small metal object nearby, I see it’s not as strong compared to previous versions.

Reactions: Spetsgruppa

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
This is true, the lining does not exist anymore, and I don’t see that as a downside, it makes the case thinner.
yes true.but if its hard then if dust gets in between it might scratch the phone.with the suede it wouldnt happen as the suede will hold the dust in place. kinda sort of...

DoorsFreak87

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2020
Honestly not, it gathers just as much dust as any other case would. And I’ve seen the only review online, I don’t have other MagSafe accessories for me to try it out sorry! If I get my hands on one, I’ll update this post.

PS: if they did used the same magnets as limitless 3, these were gonna be hell a lot stronger. But I don’t think that’s the case. If I hold a small metal object nearby, I see it’s not as strong compared to previous versions.
Thank you for the quick response. What about the lining? Does it look as protective as the 3.0's microfiber for the back of the phone? Also, is the gap for the eyelet(lanyard hole) deep? Someone on reddit claims the eyelet is unnecessary and fills up with lint and dust. If that's the case I would be concerned about the sensitive stainless steel frame over time, as the relief cuts and eyelets expose the frame. Do you find this to be an issue? Also, are the relief cuts large or somewhat subtle just for the purpose of providing tactile buttons? Thanks again.

Last edited:

DoorsFreak87

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2020
yes true.but if its hard then if dust gets in between it might scratch the phone.with the suede it wouldnt happen as the suede will hold the dust in place. kinda sort of...
That's my concern. The tech21 evocheck diamonds on the internal lining created permanent markings/imprints on my pixel 2xl. I'd personally be more concerned about the eyelet cutout as dust accumulates over time and the difficulty of removing the case on/off will just cause you to forget about cleaning the case or phone. Therefore, the outline of the eyelet could create an imprint or micro scratch in the stainless steel. However, this is my first iPhone. I'm just going by what happened to my old iPods which also used stainless steel.

Reactions: Spetsgruppa

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
That's my concern. The tech21 evocheck diamonds on the internal lining created permanent markings/imprints on my pixel 2xl. I'd personally be more concerned about the eyelet cutout as dust accumulates over time and the difficulty of removing the case on/off will just cause you to forget about cleaning the case or phone. Therefore, the outline of the eyelet could create an imprint or micro scratch in the stainless steel. However, this is my first iPhone. I'm just going by what happened to my old iPods which also used stainless steel.
Reminds me of Rhinoshield Solidsuit. Pretty case but it leaves marks all around.

Reactions: DoorsFreak87

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
Thank you for the quick response. What about the lining? Does it look as protective as the 3.0's microfiber for the back of the phone? Also, is the gap for the eyelet(lanyard hole) deep? Someone on reddit claims the eyelet is unnecessary and fills up with lint and dust. If that's the case I would be concerned about the sensitive stainless steel frame over time, as the relief cuts and eyelets expose the frame. Do you find this to be an issue? Also, are the relief cuts large or somewhat subtle just for the purpose of providing tactile buttons? Thanks again.

I added in more images for you! The lanyard eyelet would not hold a lanyard with a thick cord, and I would not use a lanyard with a thin one if I really wanted it to help and not break out in a few months.
There is a significant amount of pocket lint all over the phone (that being said, I'd win an award for pocket lint collection, my pockets just tend to have too much in them). The cuts do not bother me as much, yes they *could* let dust in, but I dont feel it would damage my stainless steel frame beyond a few minutes with a cape cod cloth! (I have polished my SS Apple Watch with it before).

Reminds me of Rhinoshield Solidsuit. Pretty case but it leaves marks all around.

This one potentially could, after a few years of use, but by then, I'd have hit the end of life of this phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,226
  • IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 648

DoorsFreak87

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2020
I added in more images for you! The lanyard eyelet would not hold a lanyard with a thick cord, and I would not use a lanyard with a thin one if I really wanted it to help and not break out in a few months.
There is a significant amount of pocket lint all over the phone (that being said, I'd win an award for pocket lint collection, my pockets just tend to have too much in them). The cuts do not bother me as much, yes they *could* let dust in, but I dont feel it would damage my stainless steel frame beyond a few minutes with a cape cod cloth! (I have polished my SS Apple Watch with it before).

This one potentially could, after a few years of use, but by then, I'd have hit the end of life of this phone.
Thank you for the quick response and the pics. These are the clearest pics of the lint and dust buildup I've seen online. I can see it's slightly dusty around the eyelet. Someone on reddit had the same complaint. It's a great looking case though. Keep us updated on the life of the case. Hopefully the dust doesn't create imprints and scratches when pressed between the phone and case. Someone on the Nomad rugged thread mentioned there was a dust imprint(though it did rub off) from the ring on the lining of the case. I'm curious if this going to be problem for the mous as it uses TPU and the Nomad uses microfiber suede. Thanks again!

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Yeah for me, those relative wide slits for the buttons are deal killer. Yes, the slits make the buttons buttery smooth….but too open and will let dust/sand/dirt to get between case buttons and phone.

This is why i will not buy Mous or Spigen or other cases with slits for buttons.

DoorsFreak87

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah for me, those relative wide slits for the buttons are deal killer. Yes, the slits make the buttons buttery smooth….but too open and will let dust/sand/dirt to get between case buttons and phone.

This is why i will not buy Mous or Spigen or other cases with slits for buttons.
Yeah, that's my concern. I wish there was someway you could cover up those cutouts, especially the large eyelet on the side. Maybe with a D-brand skin on the inside and outside of the case? Unfortunately, a lot of case brands like the two you mentioned above and even D-brand and Pitaka offer that. I am currently using a Catalyst Influence in Pacific Blue. It covers everything except the camera module and lightening port. It's awesome. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer a magsafe magnet and I've been looking for a decent case that has a strong magsafe connection as well as offering good dust and debris and shock protection.

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Yeah, that's my concern. I wish there was someway you could cover up those cutouts, especially the large eyelet on the side. Maybe with a D-brand skin on the inside and outside of the case? Unfortunately, a lot of case brands like the two you mentioned above and even D-brand and Pitaka offer that. I am currently using a Catalyst Influence in Pacific Blue. It covers everything except the camera module and lightening port. It's awesome. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer a magsafe magnet and I've been looking for a decent case that has a strong magsafe connection as well as offering good dust and debris and shock protection.
I am currently using Apple Clear case. It has its issue (faint stress cracks on the inside at bottoms). But the fit is fantastic…with minimal dust intrusion. Buttons could be better…but relative to other CLEAR cases from 3rd party, the buttons are on the good side.

The other option with MagSafe is Otterbox Defender XT case…very good dust & debris protection (best of its kind)…BUT it makes the phone much wider…and the camera cutout is just lazy.

Delissioo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021

So I thought I would chime in because I have had the Mous case on my iPhone X since launch. It does not have any suede inside and there are cut outs.

my experience has been incredibly positive. I have dropped this thing at least 20 times for real… not the whoopsie off a chair, but while talking it’s been knocked out of my hand onto concrete, my kid has thrown it several times, and it’s fallen off the top of my car when I forgot I had left it there. Yes, I need to be more careful, but fortunately this case has saved my phone on every occasion. Zero screen cracks, zero mechanical issues with the phone. I have to pay extra for the case living in Canada, but it’s well worth it given the cost of the device/repairs/Apple care. The one negative I’d have to print out is that only recently I had the corner start to separate a little bit because of taking case off too many times over the past 5 years or so. This is incredibly minor given the abuse and time I have had it.

I get the lint concern, and there is absolutely some build up over time. But you could make the same argument about build up between the case and the screen (goes for any case obviously). Any build up of lint, food/drink from my kid, grime, etc has easily come off with water on a paper towel. No scratches. So, honestly it is not an issue aesthetically.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned are the speakers. I don’t know how many people use the speakers, but build up has made the sound more muffled and I have had to delicately clean them from time to time. However, this goes for any case that doesn’t cover the speakers which would be ridiculous anyways.

in my opinion, if you want your phone in prestige condition leave it in the box and don’t use it. If you want a case, get the Mous and put a glass screen protector on it and your investment will be safe.

lastly, I have the walnut finish and it has worn beautifully. It’s taken a lot of hits and there’s some very minor dents in it, but I never notice it and if anything adds character.

Mark Aznar

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
Thank you for the quick response and the pics. These are the clearest pics of the lint and dust buildup I've seen online. I can see it's slightly dusty around the eyelet. Someone on reddit had the same complaint. It's a great looking case though. Keep us updated on the life of the case. Hopefully the dust doesn't create imprints and scratches when pressed between the phone and case. Someone on the Nomad rugged thread mentioned there was a dust imprint(though it did rub off) from the ring on the lining of the case. I'm curious if this going to be problem for the mous as it uses TPU and the Nomad uses microfiber suede. Thanks again!
Get the casetify leather case with MagSafe as that’s what I bought. No unnecessary cut outs and even covers the entire frame of the iPhone unlike Apple cases which leaves the rim exposed. The volume cut outs are also asymmetrical making them smaller. Plus the suede lining on the inside is soft

Quarric

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
I’ve got the black speckled one, it’s my first Mous case and I do like it. Enough I’ve ordered a matching case for my AirPods Pro. I haven’t found the mute switch any harder to access than the Apple leather case for example. Magnets seem about as strong too. The speckled material has a nice texture to it imo, and gives it some grip on the back.

Raajj

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2019
I’ve got the black speckled one, it’s my first Mous case and I do like it. Enough I’ve ordered a matching case for my AirPods Pro. I haven’t found the mute switch any harder to access than the Apple leather case for example. Magnets seem about as strong too. The speckled material has a nice texture to it imo, and gives it some grip on the back.
Could you comment on grip on the sides please when compared to tpu case per say ?

Raajj

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2019
@darrinS
Thanks for the reply. I currently have the tech 21 evo check for my 13 max model. I am quite happy with it .the case is quite thin and grippy. however,
I am quite fascinated by these Mous drop tests. I tried the clarity for new days . Case is quite grippy but the buttons are quite hard to press and more over the camera protection is not adequate in my opinion .I don’t want to touch the infinity due to the tpu colouring issues.
The next grippy Mous case left to consider would be the speckled fabric of the limitless series.
So in your opinion all the limitless versions are slipper is it?

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
@darrinS
Thanks for the reply. I currently have the tech 21 evo check for my 13 max model. I am quite happy with it .the case is quite thin and grippy. however,
I am quite fascinated by these Mous drop tests. I tried the clarity for new days . Case is quite grippy but the buttons are quite hard to press and more over the camera protection is not adequate in my opinion .I don’t want to touch the infinity due to the tpu colouring issues.
The next grippy Mous case left to consider would be the speckled fabric of the limitless series.
So in your opinion all the limitless versions are slipper is it?
i have a wood backed and had a carbon fiber backed and a leather backed limitless cases. i find them all slippery. but don’t get me wrong, i like the cases.

Raajj

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2019
i have a wood backed and had a carbon fiber backed and a leather backed limitless cases. i find them all slippery. but don’t get me wrong, i like the cases.
Ah you pretty much tried all versions then.
Even though I got a good deal via voucher codes in Mous website. I ordered my case via Amazon in case I have to send it back. Fingers crossed I will update my experience with the speckled fabric.
Have a Good day !

Reactions: darrinS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.