Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattmower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Berkshire, UK
I have an M2 Max Studio running macOS 13.6.1 with a Logitech MX Master mouse connected via the Logitech universal receiver plugged directly into the back of the studio. It's been working fine for months since I got the studio back in September until the last few days when the mouse has been showing some lag/stuttering. It's not continuous, just every now and again. But often enough to annoy.

Other than the mouse becoming faulty what else can I check for?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Plug the universal receiver into the FRONT of the Studio.
Use it that way for a couple of days, and note if there's any difference.

mattmower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Berkshire, UK
Plug the universal receiver into the FRONT of the Studio.
Use it that way for a couple of days, and note if there's any difference.
I will need to get some kind of converter since it's USB-A connector on the universal receiver but worth a shot, thanks.

Hoople611

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
This worked for me. I had stuttering on my old iMac and also on my Studio with my Mx Master. Get a short USB extension cable like this for example;

USB Extension Cable

Plug the receiver into the female end and then plug the male end the Mac Studio. The cable can hang off the desk. Should clear it up. The receiver doesn't like to be plugged directly into the Studio.

Reactions: drrich2

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
I have an M2 Max Studio running macOS 13.6.1 with a Logitech MX Master mouse connected via the Logitech universal receiver plugged directly into the back of the studio. It's been working fine for months since I got the studio back in September until the last few days when the mouse has been showing some lag/stuttering. It's not continuous, just every now and again. But often enough to annoy.

Other than the mouse becoming faulty what else can I check for?
I would say that the metal construction of the Mac Studio is blocking the signals between receiver and mouse.

For testing rotate you Studio for 180°. If there is no stuttering anymore, you get your answer.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You could get something like this:
(numerous items shown).

Plug the cable into a USBa port on the rear of the Studio.
Plug the unifying receiver into the other end of the cable.
Now... "loop it around" towards the front, away from the electrical interference at the back of the Studio.
That should work much better.

I, too, have a Logitech mouse that uses the unifying receiver.
In my case, I have an old wired USB keyboard that has a couple of USBa ports on the end.
I just plug the receiver into that, works fine.

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Fishrrman has it. I have always plugged the universal module into a USB extension you them place the Logitech radio module up and out of the way, ot place out on the desk somewhere out of the way.

With this said I only use a wireless trackball, My Keychron keyboard is directly plugged into my Mac Studio.

mattmower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Berkshire, UK
OP:

You could get something like this:
(numerous items shown).

Plug the cable into a USBa port on the rear of the Studio.
Plug the unifying receiver into the other end of the cable.
Now... "loop it around" towards the front, away from the electrical interference at the back of the Studio.
That should work much better.

I, too, have a Logitech mouse that uses the unifying receiver.
In my case, I have an old wired USB keyboard that has a couple of USBa ports on the end.
I just plug the receiver into that, works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, as much as I like this answer, it doesn't explain why it only became a problem in the last few days, when it worked for the couple of months since I had the studio. Nevertheless, I've moved the receiver onto a USB dongle plugged into the studio but with clear line of sight to the mouse and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'm wondering if maybe the receiver has gone bad.

M

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Thanks for the suggestion. However, as much as I like this answer, it doesn't explain why it only became a problem in the last few days, when it worked for the couple of months since I had the studio. Nevertheless, I've moved the receiver onto a USB dongle plugged into the studio but with clear line of sight to the mouse and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'm wondering if maybe the receiver has gone bad.

M
Mmmmmm

Tested on different USB ports? Did you add new USB devices in this time?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I was looking at Logitech website and they have Logi Options for your mouse that has been upgraded on 15 November 2023 to Version 1.58.484418, have you upgraded?

Last edited:

mattmower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Berkshire, UK
Okay, I was wrong.

I got a USBC->USBA dongle and plugged the receiver into that and put it in one of front USB ports on the studio and that seems to have cured the problem. No stuttering since I did that.

I'm not sure why it didn't work plugged into the USB dock. It's not obscured by the studio and only about a foot further away but, go figure. I'm also still not sure why the problem didn't exist for 2 months in (so far as I can see) the same setup.

While I don't care for this solution, I don't like having a dongle poking out the front of the studio, I do like having a working so I guess I can live with it for now.

Thanks, everyone.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Okay, I was wrong.

I got a USBC->USBA dongle and plugged the receiver into that and put it in one of front USB ports on the studio and that seems to have cured the problem. No stuttering since I did that.

I'm not sure why it didn't work plugged into the USB dock. It's not obscured by the studio and only about a foot further away but, go figure. I'm also still not sure why the problem didn't exist for 2 months in (so far as I can see) the same setup.

While I don't care for this solution, I don't like having a dongle poking out the front of the studio, I do like having a working so I guess I can live with it for now.

Thanks, everyone.
I have had similar problems with these Logitech Unifying modules in the past. The solution for me what to go bluetooth. I have a Logitech MX Ergo BT trackball that has given me zero problems.

Luis Glez

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2014
I have the same stuttering issue with the MX Master 3S when connected through the Logi Bolt dongle. Dragging a Finder window across the desktop is perfectly smooth when using the Magic Mouse or a cheap HP wired mouse, but the MX exhibits a sluggish, jittery behavior.

Also tried with bluetooth and it's even worse. Tested with and without the Logi Options+ software. I've also tried with a USB extension cable plugged into the back of the Studio and with a USBc to USB adapter at the front. No difference.

The weird thing is that I've tested the polling rate with the BetterMouse app and a few mouse testing websites, and the MX shows 120-130 Hz, while the Magic Mouse caps at 90. Even so, the MX stuttering is clearly perceptible, while the MM is smooth as silk.

At this point, I don't know what else to try.

I think I'll return the MX Master and go back to the good old Magic Mouse, while keeping the wired mouse for 3D work, since I need 3 buttons for that.

P.D. Bought a Logitech M650 just to try, and it shows exactly the same behavior 🙁

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Re the stuttering Logitech mice above...

What happens if...
- You remove the Logitech software
and then
- Install either "Steermouse" or "USB Overdrive"
???

Reactions: Luis Glez

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
This is probably somewhat unrelated to the OPs specific problem, but since it involves mice, bluetooth, and lagging/flakey connection, I'll put it here. Might help someone.

First time I've experienced this. I have, believe it or not, three magic mouse and two Magic keyboards around the room, plus one wired keyboard. A couple of weeks ago I added another keyboard, an older apple wireless, but with AA batteries. It has worked fine, even though I seem to have a limit on the # of devices that can be connected simultaneously; 4.

Anyway, today all my connected bluetooth mice were very jumpy and seemed to have bad connections. Strange. Never seen that. I started to switch them off and on, didn't help - until I turned off the old battery driven keyboard, and instantly all the other devices were fine, just like that. It's batteries were almost dead. That's what had caused it.

Luis Glez

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2014
Re the stuttering Logitech mice above...

What happens if...
- You remove the Logitech software
and then
- Install either "Steermouse" or "USB Overdrive"
???
Thanks. I'll try those apps to see if they can get rid of the stuttering. Right now I'm using 'BetterMouse' to tweak the DPI and sensitivity values, as well as switching off any other device nearby that could cause interference...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.