Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Is it just me or is it odd that doing a screen record on iPad saves as '.mov', but despite both being Apple, iMovie doesn't recognise it as a useable format and it's not compatible?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Might just be you, it should work. I just tested it out with iMovie on my iPad and Mac to verify. What exactly are you attempting to do? Do you have a screenshot of the error.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Might just be you, it should work. I just tested it out with iMovie on my iPad and Mac to verify. What exactly are you attempting to do? Do you have a screenshot of the error.
No error, I screen recorded an interview for a friend from my iPad and then sent to my MBP for iMovie to edit and it's just not visible and greyed out, as opposed to mp4 etc. when I try to import into iMovie

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
So you also haven't updated your Mac? Or are you saying your Mac somehow supports macOS 13, just not macOS 13.5? That being the system requirements for the most recent version.

So yeah. It's just you. 😏

Or you turn HEVC recording OFF on your iPad? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
So you also haven't updated your Mac? Or are you saying your Mac somehow supports macOS 13, just not macOS 13.5? That being the system requirements for the most recent version. 😏

So yeah. It's just you.
My MBP doesn't go higher than High Sierra is what I'm saying 10.13.6.
And iMovie says there is an update, but has never let me update when I click on their open software update.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
And iMovie says there is an update, but has never let me update when I click on their open software update.
You would have to update iMovie from the App Store. But it sounds like the format from your iPad is too new for an older system like High Sierra. You'll either have to record in a more compatible format with your iPad or convert the HEVC to another format with something like Handbrake.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
This may be the culprit. Another app you could use to transcode the existing video is Handbrake. It's free and it's got a menu of templates for every generation of Apple device. I've been using it for years and it's fantastic.
Thanks, It would be nice to be able to get 9.0.9 iMovie as it asks me to update, but then when opening the app store is either blank, as it's obviously not there anymore, or says you've changed your Apple ID, which I've never ever done.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
You would have to update iMovie from the App Store. But it sounds like the format from your iPad is too new for an older system like High Sierra. You'll either have to record in a more compatible format with your iPad or convert the HEVC to another format with something like Handbrake.
Any sure fire ways to update iMovie, considering this
Thanks, It would be nice to be able to get 9.0.9 iMovie as it asks me to update, but then when opening the app store is either blank, as it's obviously not there anymore, or says you've changed your Apple ID, which I've never ever done.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
macOS 10.13.6 - the latest version is iMovie 10.1.12

iOS 11.4.1 would be the most compatible with macOS 10.13.6

iOS 17.4 would be the most compatible with macOS 14.4

So go with @JonnyMacx86 advice of importing first in QuickTime then export before importing in iMovie or convert it using Handbrake or any other software...

I jumped the gun and did not read the version of iMovie you are using... It was iMovie '11

Here's the App Store link for iMovie - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/imovie/id408981434?mt=12

The latest version requires macOS 13.5 or later but you should be able to download the last compatible version if you have downloaded it using your Apple ID before...

Last edited:

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
macOS 10.13.6 - the latest version is iMovie 10.1.12

iOS 11.4.1 would be the most compatible with macOS 10.13.6

iOS 17.4 would be the most compatible with macOS 14.4

So go with @JonnyMacx86 advice of importing first in QuickTime then export before importing in iMovie or convert it using Handbrake or any other software...

I jumped the gun and did not read the version of iMovie you are using... It was iMovie '11

Here's the App Store link for iMovie - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/imovie/id408981434?mt=12

The latest version requires macOS 13.5 or later but you should be able to download the last compatible version if you have downloaded it using your Apple ID before...
Thanks for this.
I'd LOVE to be able to get that update from your link, but I always get this.
Makes zero sense, I've not had a different ID ever, or refunded or purchased etc etc

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 17.03.20.png

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany

Again: HEVC support came with iMovie v10.1.8. If you're unable to install a compatible version of macOS, which will either be Mojave or Catalina, then you're SOL and need to look for an external app to convert it. OR you simply export it from the iPad in anything but HEVC from iMovie or whatever you have there?

It would be nice to be able to get 9.0.9 iMovie

Which would be of exactly zero use to you in this case.

Simply go HERE, hit download, and see what happens. That'll quickly clear up what you can and can't install. (Spoiler: it won't be 10.1.8 or later if you have macOS 10.13)

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Again: HEVC support came with iMovie v10.1.8. If you're unable to install a compatible version of macOS, which will either be Mojave or Catalina, then you're SOL and need to look for an external app to convert it. OR you simply export it from the iPad in anything but HEVC from iMovie or whatever you have there?

Which would be of exactly zero use to you in this case.

Simply go HERE, hit download, and see what happens. That'll quickly clear up what you can and can't install. (Spoiler: it won't be 10.1.8 or later if you have macOS 10.13)
Putting MOV aside, I'd still like to get the iMovie update, Clicking your link, just showed the same 'cannot update' pop up and that's all, I tried deleting and moving iMovie to a USB so I can put it back, but I still get the same pop up

Going to try again and see what occurs, will report back, thanks

Last edited:

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
if iMovie doesn't work for you, you can always try with the free app Davinci Resolve. It's cross-platform too.

Thanks, I'm not overly technical.. and taken me years to use basic iMovie, but the worst part about it, is the whitening out of everything I import into it, or when it ignores turning off optimization and makes every clip take 5 hours to import. I was hoping the update (that I can't seem to get) may have improved that problem? Will check out the one you recommend, thank you.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Do you still have the install disc for iMovie '11? If yes, delete iMovie (drag from Applications folder to the Trash) then restart macOS... After the restart, download iMovie from the App Store... You should be able to download and install version 10.1.12 for macOS 10.13.6

If you do not have the install disc for iMovie '11 then you will need to use a different software for editing your iPad screen recording...

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Do you still have the install disc for iMovie '11? If yes, delete iMovie (drag from Applications folder to the Trash) then restart macOS... After the restart, download iMovie from the App Store... You should be able to download and install version 10.1.12 for macOS 10.13.6

If you do not have the install disc for iMovie '11 then you will need to use a different software for editing your iPad screen recording...
Good question, I don't remember it coming with any disk, but it was a fair old while ago, Software was pre installed, and I remember questioning that at the time. The iPad screen recording is a rare occasion, but other stuff would probably benefit from an updated iMovie for things I do. Thank you. If I don't have the disc, can I just move app to USB stick and try that again?

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
If I don't have the disc, can I just move app to USB stick and try that again?
I'm not entirely sure if iMovie '11 will work again afterwards and I have only used iMovie from the App Store but you can try... You can create a Time Machine backup or any full system backup just in case a function or feature in iMovie '11 is no longer available in the newer version... Create a backup first before attempting to do that...

However, if you are okay with replacing iMovie '11 with the version from the App Store and don't have any function or feature that you might miss with switching to the newer version, then go ahead... I have never used iMovie '11 so I can't compare the features with the newer one...

Or you can keep your current setup, import and export the screen recording using QuickTime then attempt again to edit in iMovie '11 or use another video conversion software or just use a different video editor entirely...

You can also seek help from an Apple Genius by visiting your nearest Apple Store or contact Apple Support over the phone... Or just check first what others say about your situation...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.