Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
And what is the difference with not using the Cmd key ?

(what you say does not work for me : "moving" these folders actually copy them).

EugeneH

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
And what is the difference with not using the Cmd key ?

(what you say does not work for me : "moving" these folders actually copy them).

Using the CMD key Moves the directory to a new location. Not using the CMD key just duplicates the data in a new location.

You must HOLD the CMD key and drag the folder in your finder to the new location in a different finder window.

EugeneH

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
Must be a new feature in Yosemite.

Does not work on Mavericks and Mountain Lion.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Last 3 items on the page.

"Command key while dragging:
Move the dragged item to another volume or location (the pointer changes while key is held)"

"Option key while dragging:
Copy the dragged item (the pointer changes while key is held)"

"Command-Option key combination while dragging:
Make an alias of the dragged item (the pointer changes while key is held)"

Doesn't specify which OS X version just that it is an OS X feature.

I read this a while ago so it should work fine.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I do know this for years... BUT (not tested in Yosemite) for me it does NOT work for the OS X user's native folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, etc..)

EugeneH

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
I do know this for years... BUT (not tested in Yosemite) for me it does NOT work for the OS X user's native folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Download, etc..)

What year and model mac are your running? And what OS version. Have you tried holding the other CMD key?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
MBP 13" Early 2011, Mavericks 10.9.5

This does work for any file or folder in my account, but this does not work for the user's OS X folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, etc..).

Yes I tried with both Cmd keys.

EugeneH

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
MBP 13" Early 2011, Mavericks 10.9.5

This does work for any file or folder in my account, but this does not work for the user's OS X folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, etc..).

Yes I tried with both Cmd keys.

After my iTunes directory finishes copying I will boot into my old backup partition of Mavericks.

Do you intend on updating to Yosemite ?

I have the same exact MBP! I took the Optical disk drive out and put a 2nd HDD caddy in its place and put a 1TB HDD in there and I put a Intel 530 240GB in the reg HDD compartment.

Last edited:

dollygal

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
I can confirm that CMD + drag works on Yosemite. However it really isn't any different than doing the symbolic link in terminal. When you move these user directories, you loose the icons they had. I can replace the icons on the folders themselves as listed above, but the little icons for the shortcuts on the favorites bar are lost and each one just looks like a plan folder.

Does anyone know how to change these shortcut icons?

JJJJ D

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2017
Wonder if anyone knows answer to this???

This is A LOT easier than you might think.

1. Go to the folder that you want to copy the icon from and right click > Get Info
2. Hover over the image of the folder that you want to copy (within the Get Info window), left click on it, and then right click > copy
3. Open the folder that you want to copy the image to and right click > Get Info
4. Hover over the image of the folder that you want to replace (within the Get Info window), left click on it, and then right click > paste

FYI #1 ... I am uncertain if you need to left click on the icons that you wish to copy and replace... I have always just done it that way. Perhaps hovering over the images will do the same thing.

FYI #2 ... You can paste images that you copy from other places such as preview or even online. If you only want to use a piece of something that you find online then you can just save that image to desktop, open it in preview, crop it how you like, copy the new image, and paste it over/on the folder image that you want to replace. I've used it a few times and it can be quite handy.

Regards,

JJJJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.