Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tridentuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I am currently looking to upgrade my current PC, or purchase a new Mac, and would appreciate some advise before making any decisions.
I currently transfer a large amount of VHS to DVD using Pinnacle Studio 10 software, capturing it with a Dazzle DVC170, but the rendering time is woeful at present, hence the requirement for an upgrade.
Could anyone please advise on the software and hardware I would need to purchase to enable me to perform the same processes on a Mac. The Dazzle DVC170 (USB) is not compatible with a Mac.

PegasusMedia

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
converting VHS

For a low cost converter, try the ADS Tech Pyro AV Link. It's only around $125.
Your mac will come with imovie & idvd. That's all you'll need.

Might I suggest, though, another solution if time matters? Just buy a DVD recorder & hook a VHS deck up to it. Press play, press record. Bada bing. Done. No rendering, no encoding. You can transfer a 2 hour movie in exactly 2 hours!

tridentuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Thanks for the info PegasusMedia. The Dazzle was capable of internal encoding, and burning straight to DVD, so no encoding was needed by the PC, but for any editing/chapters etc. it needed to be encoded. I have had a look at imovie & idvd and for the basics, I think they will fufil my initial needs.

The ADS Tech Pyro AV Link, looks perfect for the job, so off to Apple.com for a browse around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.