Move from PC to Mac setup advise.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tridentuk, Aug 14, 2006.

1. tridentuk macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2006
    I am currently looking to upgrade my current PC, or purchase a new Mac, and would appreciate some advise before making any decisions.
    I currently transfer a large amount of VHS to DVD using Pinnacle Studio 10 software, capturing it with a Dazzle DVC170, but the rendering time is woeful at present, hence the requirement for an upgrade.
    Could anyone please advise on the software and hardware I would need to purchase to enable me to perform the same processes on a Mac. The Dazzle DVC170 (USB) is not compatible with a Mac.
  2. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Mar 29, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    converting VHS

For a low cost converter, try the ADS Tech Pyro AV Link. It's only around $125.
    Your mac will come with imovie & idvd. That's all you'll need.

Might I suggest, though, another solution if time matters? Just buy a DVD recorder & hook a VHS deck up to it. Press play, press record. Bada bing. Done. No rendering, no encoding. You can transfer a 2 hour movie in exactly 2 hours!
  3. tridentuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2006
    Thanks for the info PegasusMedia. The Dazzle was capable of internal encoding, and burning straight to DVD, so no encoding was needed by the PC, but for any editing/chapters etc. it needed to be encoded. I have had a look at imovie & idvd and for the basics, I think they will fufil my initial needs.

The ADS Tech Pyro AV Link, looks perfect for the job, so off to for a browse around.