Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fromgophonetoiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Over the years I have received ~30GB of iMessages. It's a lot. Photos, videos, some documents. I want to move them to another account (long story).

What's the best way? I initially thought to try this on my Mac. It's the most powerful machine. With access to ~/Library/Messages, I can see the full folder is 32GB or so of files, matching what it says I use for Messages in iCloud storage. I copied this folder as a backup just in case anything goes wrong and I signed out of my main account and signed into the new account. Along the way I also turned off iMessage for my phone number and turned it on for my new account. I left my Mac sync overnight and tried some combination of turning on and off Messages in iCloud to get the syncing to go and after a whole night I see 0KB used for iMessages in my new account.

Any better way to do it? Would it be better to try on an iPhone or iPad?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
See what others have to say, but I do not believe messages can be transferred between accounts.

fromgophonetoiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
The only way I have managed so far is to get an iDevice (iPhone, iPad, etc.) to sync. It seems to take forever but overnight I saw my iMessages go from 0 bytes to 29.5 GB.

1. Download all iMessages from the previous account
  2. Disconnect from previous account, connect to new iCloud account
  3. Sync Messages in iCloud

It's still frustrating because the offline amount of Messages is 34 GB so I'm not sure if it got everything or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.