Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

staticdisaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
McAllen, TX
Is there an app (preferably free) that will move windows by holding down a modifier key + left-clicking the window? This is really common in X window managers. Thanks.

staticdisaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
McAllen, TX
well.. I'd have to scroll all the way up to the title bar for that! :eek:

I think this would be a simple hack to write to enable this feature.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I'm not sure what your talking about. If you hold down the command key you can drag windows that are in the background without bringing them to the front. Is that what you want to do?

rasp

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Easthampton, MA
daveway00 said:
I'm not sure what your talking about. If you hold down the command key you can drag windows that are in the background without bringing them to the front. Is that what you want to do?

That's pretty cool, but not what the OP is talking about, in many X11 window managers (my favorite being fluxbox) you can use modifier keys to drag windows around without clicking on the title bar, also fluxbox lets you use a modifier to resize the windows from anywhere within the window, not just the lower right handle.

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
Yikes!! How bug is your screen that the title bar is a long way away?

But seriously, I haven't come accross anything that does that.

BTW, with safari, you can move the window by clicking on the status-bar at the bottom of the window too. In fact from a quick look, it seems as iff most "brushed metal" windows will let you move them around from the edges, I just tried iTunes and Finder, and they work fine from the edges, top and bottom :)

staticdisaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
McAllen, TX
daveway00 said:

I would like some key+mouse click combination to move any window that's in the background & foreground too without having to have the mouse pointer over the title bar of the window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.