Moveable Type.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development (archive)' started by Moxiemike, Nov 11, 2003.

1. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Anyone here experienced in installing this bad boy?

I'm looking to install it on my server as a CMS for product reviews and whatnot.

Let me know if anyone can lend a hand..

thanks

m

2. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

done it about 5 times!

what are you stuck on?

ps-the main page on my site is moveabletype!

3. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well. I'm not neccessarily stuck on anything.

Just not from a programming background and wanted to have someone walk me through a setup or something.

4. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

it's kinda hard to walk you through it. just move real slow with the documentation included. if you get stuck, just ask.

5. macrumors 601

cb911

hey mnkeybsness nice site. :)

what exactly does moveable type do? i've heard it mentioned a couple of times before...

6. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

it's a blogging script that is extremely flexible. i use kung-log to write my entries on my mac and upload them to the cgi. i honestly think that it's the best blogging stuff out there at the moment.

7. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I finally got everything installed. Just a matter of learning about templates. Shouldn't be too hard.

This script is amazing actually. VEry powerful..

8. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

and what is your site all about ? Just a forum ? About what ?

9. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

hmmmm... you missed the gallery?

that does bring up a good point to me that i really don't have anything on my main page to let the visitor know why they should stay.

thanks CmdrLaForge

10. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn this is good stuff - I'm going to install it on my site as well. Very impressive :D

D

11. macrumors regular

I love Movabletype.... I use it to run Buzzgrinder, a site on music news + useless opinion. If you need any help with MT get in touch!

12. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i'm wondering if your site is *supposed* to display about 400 pixels wide

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

On a related note, for those of you (us) who would like to use Movable Type but aren't so technically inclined, there is TypePad (www.typepad.com). It's a service run by the people who created Movable Type which lets you create and run a Movable Type site with a minimum of technical knowledge. Set up is very simple yet quite flexible. Plans start at $4.95 per month.

I signed up for the 30-day free trial a few days ago, and am really impressed with it.

As an example, Mac Mike runs his site on TypePad.

14. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

OK. I get it. Your site is about the gallery ? Right ? Just to be sure...

And what is the gallery good for ? For nice wallpapers ?

15. macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

It took me about a day or so to familiarize myself with MoveableType and after that it's so easy. It's extremely customizable and easy to work with.

I enter my entries online, I find it easier that way.

Just check my link below.