Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kris5455

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
I don't know what the problem. I run version 10.3.9 with 1.25GHz PowerPC and 512MB DDR. I have a LaCie 160GB Firewire External HD. I just moved my music files to the LaCie for more storage space and now my music skips to the next song after 10, 20, 30 seconds, etc. I don't know what the problem is. Someone please help!!!!!!!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Are you saying the songs only play for the first thirty seconds before moving on or that the songs starting skipping after thirty seconds (like a broken CD)?

If it's the former, then I'd check that the song finish time isn't set to thirty seconds and then I'd check the external disk using Disk Utility.

If it's the latter, then I'd play some of the original files on the external drive using QuickTime and see whether they still skip. :)

kris5455

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
The problem is the latter...they just skip to the next song after a varying period of time. Sometimes is 5 seconds, sometimes it's 37 seconds, etc. They play fine from the external hard drive using Quicktime. Thanking you in advance for your help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Click on one of the songs that behaves like this, select Get Info from the File menu and head to the Options pane. Now, check to make sure there isn't a short stop time selected. :)

Also, when you get this, are you transferring files to or from the external drive? Is it possible that the Firewire port isn't keeping up?

Hopefully we won't have to reimport your music (and lose play counts and play lists). :(

kris5455

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
thanks mad jew...i think the problem is with the external hd. it's making some funky noises. it was a refurbished model anyway. i'm going to get a new one and see if i have the same problem. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.