Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I'm hit and miss with my old AppleTV preset movies as well. A few work, most still don't. I wish they were still grey'd out. Now you just have to try and get told no.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I'm hit and miss with my old AppleTV preset movies as well. A few work, most still don't. I wish they were still grey'd out. Now you just have to try and get told no.

It would be interesting to see the encode logs from the ones that aren't working to see if we could figure out why. So far I haven't found a single AppleTV encode that hasn't worked, but I don't have many yet (most were encoded with various versions of what is now the Universal preset).

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
It would be interesting to see the encode logs from the ones that aren't working to see if we could figure out why. So far I haven't found a single AppleTV encode that hasn't worked, but I don't have many yet (most were encoded with various versions of what is now the Universal preset).

I don't have log files, but I will try to figure out by bitrates and handbrake version. These were all my earliest encodes, so there are some which were on a previous version of Handbrake. My earliest encodes were done earlier this year on a Windows laptop, and somewhere in that timeline I switched from XP to Vista as well. Lots of variables and I can't pinpoint all the changes. Of course these movies being the first I encoded were my favorite movies and now they can only play on the ATV. I would redo them, but I'm hoping to get them all in HD before long... If only Disney/Vista would release Tombstone already!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I don't have log files, but I will try to figure out by bitrates and handbrake version. These were all my earliest encodes, so there are some which were on a previous version of Handbrake. My earliest encodes were done earlier this year on a Windows laptop, and somewhere in that timeline I switched from XP to Vista as well. Lots of variables and I can't pinpoint all the changes. Of course these movies being the first I encoded were my favorite movies and now they can only play on the ATV. I would redo them, but I'm hoping to get them all in HD before long... If only Disney/Vista would release Tombstone already!

Agreed -- that is a favorite movie of mine as well, and the Tombstone Vista series DVD has been re-encoded more times than I'd like to admit. :)

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Looks like those encoded in Handbrake 0.9.3 with ATV preset will work on iPhone. Those using 0.9.2 with ATV preset will not work on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.