1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Moving files from and to external disks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by east1999, Apr 26, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Hey everyone,

Since the latest MBA doesn't carry an ethernet port, I'm guessing most people move files to other PCs either via external disks or Wifi. Most benchmarks say that moving files WITHIN an SSD is really fast, but what about moving files from and to an HDD? Is it slower or is it the same?

I'd also like to know if using an SD card to move files between computers is even faster than using USB/Wifi.

Thanks!

As the transfer to an external HDD is limited by the interface you use, USB being the prominent one in the MBAs, you will only get transfer speeds of around 35MB/s for read and write processes using an external HDD.
    An SD card will be slower, as the flash memory used in them is cheap and not fast, unless you buy an expensive SD card. But then again, the transfer speed is limited by the interface.
    If you transfer files via the network, you are limited to the wireless AirPort in the MBA, which will have transfer speeds of around 10MB/s.

3. macrumors member

So.. you mean that backing up, say, three Blu-Ray rips (18gb or more) will be as long and painful as it is now? I guess anytime you get huge files and need to get them off your MBA due to space concerns, you will go up against that bottleneck, right? Does anyone how much of a difference the new MBP antenna does? Is FireWire still faster than all of these options?

Firewire 800 is faster, and Gigabit Ethernet is even faster.
    I don't know about the MBP's antenna though, I still use wires to transfer large chunks of data. But the 2011 MBA will have Thunderbolt included, and that will be faster than Firewire 800 times Gigabit Ethernet.