Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebelbear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
Hello All,
I recently purchased a new iMac and would like to move some files off of my old beige G3 MT to it. I'm particularly concerned about my iTunes and iPhoto files (and am not exactly sure where the actually songs and pix are).
Does anyone have any suggestions, a link to a web page, or a reference to a magazine article that will provide tips for moving from an old to new Mac? Thanks!

Does Target mode work with an old G3 that has Firewire?

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Moving files from old Mac to new

Originally posted by rebelbear

I don't think it works if you have a Firewire upgrade card instead of a built-in Firewire port.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: Re: Moving files from old Mac to new

Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I don't think it works if you have a Firewire upgrade card instead of a built-in Firewire port.

It will work if you put the iMac in FW Disk Mode, then plug into the the FW upgrade card on the G3. Same thing at the end of the day.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa

Hello All,
I recently purchased a new iMac and would like to move some files off of my old beige G3 MT to it. I'm particularly concerned about my iTunes and iPhoto files (and am not exactly sure where the actually songs and pix are).
Does anyone have any suggestions, a link to a web page, or a reference to a magazine article that will provide tips for moving from an old to new Mac? Thanks!

Just use a crossover cable. Plug it into both the iMac and the Beige G3. After you set up the G3 to share its files (System Preferences - Sharing) you can go to the 'Go' Menu in your iMac's Finder and select 'Connect to Server' (or just hit OA-K), select your G3 in the subsequent list and type the password you entered in the G3's Sharing Section of System Preferences.
As for the iTunes, the default location of your files is ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/ iPhoto also stores it's stuff in your home folder, at ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• green.jpg
    green.jpg
    840 bytes · Views: 872

RooBen

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2003
San Diego

I just moved to a new drive and used Carbon Copy Cloner. The program runs very smoothly and there is a fairly helpful forum link on their website which helped me along. People there might be able to provide further answers for you.

I connected the two iMacs I used with Firewire Target Disk Mode and it worked like a charm. There is a list of compatible computers on the link and yours does not appear there:( sorry.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
If you have the firewire card in the beige g3, definately put the iMac into firewire target disk mode. The beige's came with 10baseT ethernet, so firewire will be MUCH faster for transfering.

You should have no problem getting it to work, and Carbon Copy Cloner is a GREAT app. I personally don't know what I would do without it. But I would be very cautions about copying the whole system over, iTunes and iPhoto libraries should be drag-copyable.

rebelbear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
Thank you, all!

I ended up using a cross-over cable and things went super-smoothly. Thanks for all of the great advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.