Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I am convincing my grandfather to buy an iMac G5 because he believes his P4 2.8ghz is 'outdated'.

Can you guys help me out with some convincing arguments to help ease the switch over?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
First off, I'd just show the iMac form factor. Live anywhere near an Apple Store or Apple retailer? The fact that that slim-as-a-monitor (almost) package is the entire computer and that it comes with wireless and Bluetooth (so, aside from the power cord, there would literally be no cords if you get a BT KB and mouse and wireless router) is, in my mind, very powerful. It's small, quiet, powerful, and attractive.

OS X is, of course, simpler and more powerful. It might, though, take time to convince a Windows user that it's easier to use OS X. However, the lack of adware/spyware is a plus. Exposé is a cool touch. Dashboard is actually more useful than I originally gave it credit for. Basically, it's a great, safe OS running in a powerful yet unobtrusive computer.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
All you have to do is get them in front of an iMac and they'll be hooked. No more viruses, or spyware and everything 'just works'. The only issue I had when switching an 'over 50' was that she said it was hard to see the text at the max resolution for the iMac - which is really the only resolution that looks good IMHO. She changed it to something funky and jacked her text size way up in Safari as well :eek:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Cooknn said:
... The only issue I had when switching an 'over 50' was that she said it was hard to see the text at the max resolution for the iMac - which is really the only resolution that looks good IMHO. She changed it to something funky and jacked her text size way up in Safari as well :eek:
Another option would be to use Zoom (F7/F8, be sure it's set up in System Preferences->Universal Access, and use the options to set the min/max zoom (you need to set the min slider - the lower one - first, else the "max" one won't slide) to something small like 2X so hitting F8 won't immediately zoom you into giant-pixel land. When she needs to see, tapping F8 gets her a close-up view, but the rest of the time she has full-res access.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
jsw said:
Another option would be to use Zoom (F7/F8, be sure it's set up in System Preferences->Universal Access, and use the options to set the min/max zoom (you need to set the min slider - the lower one - first, else the "max" one won't slide) to something small like 2X so hitting F8 won't immediately zoom you into giant-pixel land. When she needs to see, tapping F8 gets her a close-up view, but the rest of the time she has full-res access.
Sweet :D Thanks for the tip!

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
damn, you lucky they know nothing about computers lol... To bad my Grandpa isn't alive still he would buy me a Laptop or Powerbook :D he used to buy me expensive things and my parents hatted it lol... One chritmas he bought be a Very expensive Fish tank..

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
BKKloppenborg said:
damn, you lucky they know nothing about computers lol... To bad my Grandpa isn't alive still he would buy me a Laptop or Powerbook :D he used to buy me expensive things and my parents hatted it lol... One chritmas he bought be a Very expensive Fish tank..

Heh yeah there computer now is NOT outdated at all. But it has ALOT of problems lol it had them out of the box. Talked to him about a 20" iMac and he likes the idea.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
paperinacup said:
Heh yeah there computer now is NOT outdated at all. But it has ALOT of problems lol it had them out of the box. Talked to him about a 20" iMac and he likes the idea.
My kids' grandma (my ex mother in-law) sold me her old 2.53GHz Pentium 4 for $500 when she bought her new 20" iMac :eek: Although my 14 year old has an iMac, the P4 is in my 10 year old's room. Works fine for Warcraft, heh. Bottom line is that when Grandma saw my older son's iMac, it didn't matter to her that she just dropped $2K on that PC. Mac's draw you in and all of a sudden money is no object :D

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Cooknn said:
My kids' grandma (my ex mother in-law) sold me her old 2.53GHz Pentium 4 for $500 when she bought her new 20" iMac :eek: Although my 14 year old has an iMac, the P4 is in my 10 year old's room. Works fine for Warcraft, heh. Bottom line is that when Grandma saw my older son's iMac, it didn't matter to her that she just dropped $2K on that PC. Mac's draw you in and all of a sudden money is no object :D

Heh yeah he is GIVING IT AWAY!!!!!!!!! $2000 computer and $500 monitor being GIVEN AWAY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.