Moving MAIL Messages Between Machines

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nomad01, Oct 5, 2005.

1. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I've got a Power Mac and I want to move the existing email messages from Mail on my Powerbook over to Mail on my Power Mac.

Is it as simple as moving over the /Users/user/library/mail/mailboxes folder?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Steve

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

In my recent experience, if you've got the two hooked up together it would be just a case of dragging and dropping the contents from one folder to the other. It will copy over so there isn't any need to back it up other than being extra safe.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Aah... just to make myself a bit clearer: I didn't mean that the OP should use the info to back up the Mail messages and preferences (even if that isn't a bad idea). I just thought the article would be helpful to identify which files that needed to be moved and where to find/put them on the new machine... :)

5. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

No worries. Thanks to both of you.

That's a BIG help! I did have a look on Apple's site bt I was probably searching for the wrong keywords.

Thank you! :)

Steve

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah that's cool Mith and backing up is rarely a bad thing. :)

Edit: Also, like a few of other people on this forum, you are like a Mac help resource all on your own!

Also, glad you got it sorted Nomad.

7. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

you can also use Apple's Migration Assistant which can be found in the applications->utilities folder on the computer you want to copy TO. This will copy all of the personal settings - pretty much everything in your home account.