Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
I've got a Power Mac and I want to move the existing email messages from Mail on my Powerbook over to Mail on my Power Mac.

Is it as simple as moving over the /Users/user/library/mail/mailboxes folder?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Steve

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
nomad01 said:
I've got a Power Mac and I want to move the existing email messages from Mail on my Powerbook over to Mail on my Power Mac.

Is it as simple as moving over the /Users/user/library/mail/mailboxes folder?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Steve

In my recent experience, if you've got the two hooked up together it would be just a case of dragging and dropping the contents from one folder to the other. It will copy over so there isn't any need to back it up other than being extra safe.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
AlBDamned said:
It will copy over so there isn't any need to back it up other than being extra safe.
Aah... just to make myself a bit clearer: I didn't mean that the OP should use the info to back up the Mail messages and preferences (even if that isn't a bad idea). I just thought the article would be helpful to identify which files that needed to be moved and where to find/put them on the new machine... :)

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Aah... just to make myself a bit clearer: I didn't mean that the OP should use the info to back up the Mail messages and preferences (even if that isn't a bad idea). I just thought the article would be helpful to identify which files that needed to be moved and where to find/put them on the new machine... :)

No worries. Thanks to both of you.

That's a BIG help! I did have a look on Apple's site bt I was probably searching for the wrong keywords.

Thank you! :)

Steve

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Yeah that's cool Mith and backing up is rarely a bad thing. :)

Edit: Also, like a few of other people on this forum, you are like a Mac help resource all on your own!

Also, glad you got it sorted Nomad.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
you can also use Apple's Migration Assistant which can be found in the applications->utilities folder on the computer you want to copy TO. This will copy all of the personal settings - pretty much everything in your home account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.