Moving to the UK... advice needed

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by whocares, Oct 29, 2005.

1. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Oxford area.

So what do you guys and gals recommend for:

1. DSL
    Best ISP?
    I don't won't any USB modem sh*t. Do any ISPs offer Ethernet modems or do I need to purchase one seperatly?
    What about DSL+phone deals?

2. Mobile phone
    Which operator would you recommend? I would need a max of 2hours/month - no text.

3. Who's a good bank?
    I've been told HSBC and RBS are good. Do you agree?

4. Any advice on insurance (car + home)?

Thanks for your help/advice. Anything else you think might be useful to know is most welcome. :)

I understand the closest Apple Store is in London? :D :cool: :cool:
  2. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2005
    Try demon BB i think you need a seperate ethernet modem.
    Use RBS/Halifax
    Use T-Mobile
    Cant help on insurance though.
    Any other questions jsut ask away.
    Also where are you moving from?
  3. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2005
    Oh and use the oxford circus tube station t get to the Apple Store
  4. jonme macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2005
    I use Demon myself and they are pretty much ok, they dont cap downloads as most isp's here do. If you are in a cable area, then NTL and Telewest seem to be the best option in terms of speeds. I think they are moving to 10mbit connections.

Most ISP's supply a usb modem as standard so best to buy one yourslelf.
    Netgear DG834G is good all in one solution.
    A good site for this stuff is

As for banks, depends on whether you want a high street bank or internet/telephone bank. If the latter, I would recommend First Direct for helpfullness and decent rates, they are part of the HSBC group.

Insurance - Direct Line has always been cheapest for me for car/home insurance, they are one of the biggest insurers.

Mobile Phone - O2, Vodafone and Orange have the best coverage, with T Mobile an also ran in my opinion. Very competitive market over here so difficult to give a preference. O2 usually best with inclusive minutes/text.

Not many Apple stores over here at the moment so i guess London would be the nearest.

5. whocares thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    France. Am used to >10Mbit+ DSL + ethernet modem + unlimited bandwidth + unlimited national phone calls for .... [drum rolls] .... 29,90 €/month (circa £21). :eek:

thanks for the advice. Keep it coming :D :D
  6. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    If you want fast dsl check out ukonline, if normal, then Pipex or Demon are good. Phone.. I always like 02 or Orange. Bank.. suprisingly often the best deals can be found with Halifax. Enjoy the UK.. :)
  7. whocares thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Thanx. I could be snobbish, chauvinistic and French and say that the UK will suck after France, but I am in fact British and know what to expect. Just haven't lived there for the last 20 years... Should be fun. :)
  8. Ryvita macrumors member

Oct 26, 2005
    We have Telewest for "all"...TV, Internet and Telephone. Can come cheap...but the best is their broadband service. Since I started I got updated for "free" two or three times. From 500ish to 4meg now.
    They offer (as others I guess) packages for cheap international calls...
    I heard of some website, that could help to chose...but can't remember now. Something with switch us...???

Wow! What a helpfull post! :eek:
  9. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Don't do it, I hope it's not too late. :( j/ks ;) :)

Enjoy your new future, and hope the move goes as smooth as possible. I just moved recently and I wish it could have been more smoother. :eek:

Best of luck. :)
  10. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    Oxford...hmm nice area but Newcastle is where its at. You'd love the Jordies living nearer inner city.
  11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005

I thought you lived in Vietnam?