Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
You should post that that top link is a download link. I know personally I hate when people don't tell that, I click on it to learn more, and it starts downloading by itself.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Is it just me, or does that look a heck of a lot like Netscape....google "Mozilla Seamonkey" to see screenshots.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
ITASOR said:
Is it just me, or does that look a heck of a lot like Netscape....google "Mozilla Seamonkey" to see screenshots.
That's because it is Netscape, or rather the old Mozilla Suite. It was discontinued, then revived under a new name.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
iMeowbot said:
That's because it is Netscape, or rather the old Mozilla Suite. It was discontinued, then revived under a new name.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification!

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
so what do you think the purpose behind having firefox, camino, and seamonkey as browsers? why not just one brand ?

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Camino is smaller, faster and lighter than Firefox, but does not support the extensions/plug-ins etc. (some plug-ins do work such as Adobe/PDF, Flash, Flip4Mac, etc.) Camino is exclusively a Mac OS X browser.

Firefox is the main browser for *all* platforms (Mac Linux Windows). Basically the same on each.

SeaMonkey is the new life breathed into the old Mozilla suite that was discontinued. It supports all 3 platforms. It includes email, chat, browser, etc. whereas Firefox is ONLY a browser (complimented separately/optionally by Thunderbird, the e-mail program).

Mozilla the brower is discontinued (but is now SeaMonkey, see above).

slackersonly said:
so what do you think the purpose behind having firefox, camino, and seamonkey as browsers? why not just one brand ?

OK I fixed it, better? :)

ITASOR said:
You should post that that top link is a download link. I know personally I hate when people don't tell that, I click on it to learn more, and it starts downloading by itself.

Mozilla's SeaMonkey website is now showing the 1.0.4 release as official as I said earlier. :) Thanks all, just trying to be helpful.

"Due to a bug involving playing of media in the browser that slipped into SeaMonkey 1.0.3, it was necessary to release an updated SeaMonkey version. All users should upgrade to SeaMonkey 1.0.4. More information can, as always, be found in the release notes."

Release notes:

"A bug introduced in SeaMonkey 1.0.3, which caused problems with plug-ins has been fixed (Bug 346167)
Improved stability
Several security fixes
A bug was introduced in SeaMonkey 1.0.2 that sometimes caused the URL bar to stop working properly when switching tabs. This has been fixed. (Bug 332874)
If you have more bookmarks on your personal toolbar than there is space for, the ">>" overflow icon will now display more reliably (Bug 338803
If you choose to update SeaMonkey when it notifies you that an update is available, the update page will load in a more useful browser window (with navigation buttons and toolbars) (Bug 334903)"

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
slackersonly said:

Because choice is good.

I would guess there are separate teams working on each of the different browsers, trying to make it the way they think it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.