MP: Power down internal drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tyr2, Nov 27, 2006.

1. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I would like to power down an internal drive immedietly following boot. It's just a scratch disk so doesn't need to be powered up when I'm not using it, it's also quite loud which is an irritation.

I've done the 'noauto' change to /etc/fstab so the volume doesn't automatically mount but at the moment I have to wait until the energy saving stuff kicks in and spins it down.

Is there any way to power down a disk from the command line? (edit: or indeed anywhere else)

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

possibly by going to disk utility and saying "eject" that disk, it won't physically eject, but that might work.

3. tyr2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Hmm, it seems 'eject' is grayed out for internal disks unfortunately.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. tyr2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Unmounting is fine in that it does power it down eventually. I was just wondering if they was a way to force it to power down following the unmount, rather than waiting for the energy saver to kick in.

6. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I too would like to accomplish something like this.

I have 2 drives and 3 partitions in my MP. One drive I rarely use, and one partition is my windows xp partition. I would love to be able to automatically unmount the 2 when I start up. If i ever need to access them, I could open disc utility and mount them.

7. tyr2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tyr2

There's a guide here, that explains how to set your volumes to 'noauto' so they don't automatically mount at boot. The remain available for mounting in disk utility.

It still takes a while for the disks to power down tho, even when they're fully unmounted.