Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I would like to power down an internal drive immedietly following boot. It's just a scratch disk so doesn't need to be powered up when I'm not using it, it's also quite loud which is an irritation.

I've done the 'noauto' change to /etc/fstab so the volume doesn't automatically mount but at the moment I have to wait until the energy saving stuff kicks in and spins it down.

Is there any way to power down a disk from the command line? (edit: or indeed anywhere else)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
possibly by going to disk utility and saying "eject" that disk, it won't physically eject, but that might work.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK

Unmounting is fine in that it does power it down eventually. I was just wondering if they was a way to force it to power down following the unmount, rather than waiting for the energy saver to kick in.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I too would like to accomplish something like this.

I have 2 drives and 3 partitions in my MP. One drive I rarely use, and one partition is my windows xp partition. I would love to be able to automatically unmount the 2 when I start up. If i ever need to access them, I could open disc utility and mount them.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I would love to be able to automatically unmount the 2 when I start up.

There's a guide here, that explains how to set your volumes to 'noauto' so they don't automatically mount at boot. The remain available for mounting in disk utility.

It still takes a while for the disks to power down tho, even when they're fully unmounted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.