Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2001
Does anyone know how to mute lyrics from a MP3 or AIFF so all you get is the background music and beats??? What program(s) can be used for this?

Thanks,
MB

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
macboy said:
Does anyone know how to mute lyrics from a MP3 or AIFF so all you get is the background music and beats??? What program(s) can be used for this?

Thanks,
MB

This question has occorred before, try searching. The short answer is: No.

The slightly longer answer, is that some degree of removal is possible, but the process damages the music track so badly as to be useless.

The comment about the MIDI file is a good one, or you could try looking of a kareoke version of the song

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yep it is not easily possible. The best you can do is use a 30+ band equaliser to try to 'drown out' the vocals but it'll probably sound rubbish.

Audio codecs like AIFF, MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, etc. do not use separate tracks so the vocals are not recorded separately. Therefore you cannot "unmix" them.

Bob Morabito

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2004
There is hope!

If you have a Mac, (I do!) try Audacity--it works, with varying degrees of success, and is free.

If you have Windows, I've seen many mentioned--YoGen, Vogone,AnalogX (I think these are the right names--a search on Google will help!) and many more.

The procedure is:
1)split stereo track
2)highlight one
3)Invert it
4)make both mono
5)Do "Quick Mix"

It helps--and like I said, with various degrees of success.
Hope this helps!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Oh ... my ... f***ing ... word ... Stay the blue freakin' HELL away from the program named Audacity. It is the most unstable P.O.S. audio editor (or maybe even an excuse for one, since it's also damn slow for a "simple" audio editing app) that I've ever used. When I used v1.0.0 in 10.1 (and I think a little in Jaguar), most often, the program crashed if I performed two operations in less than 1.1 or 1.2 seconds. Such operations would be selecting a point in the waveform, then clicking on the menu at the top of the screen. So more than 50% of the time I used the program (from double-clicking it, then quitting it), I had to force quit the f***er. Thus, I completely refuse to touch that program ever again. So be at least halfway helpful to yourself and grab Sound Studio (get the 2.1.1 beta, it's much more stable than 2.1 final). Download page

Now, removing lyrics may or may not be possible. Every time I want to edit out something, I look for an area of the song that has already been provided (such as a back beat or real quick sound effect overlapping) and do a copy and paste (not a cut and paste, I copy the part of the song I think will work) over the lyric that I want to "remove." Now, this is a fairly tedious trial and error process, because not only does the beat have to flow perfectly (every audible beat and all audible rhythm must flow in perfect synchrony), but also (A) the part of the audio clip that you paste (saved to the clipboard) to the part of the waveform where the lyrics is can't be too much louder or quieter than the waveform around it, and (B) the copy/paste content can't have more/fewer beats going on at the same time. Failure to comply with any one of these three conditions will make the paste-over highly obvious to the listener and offending to the audiophile.

In some cases, in which these is no way to make the paste-over perfect, then you are screwed. So enjoy Sound Studio.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
King Cobra said:
Oh ... my ... f***ing ... word ... Stay the blue freakin' HELL away from the program named Audacity. It is the most unstable P.O.S. audio editor (or maybe even an excuse for one, since it's also damn slow for a "simple" audio editing app) that I've ever used. When I used v1.0.0 in 10.1 (and I think a little in Jaguar), most often, the program crashed if I performed two operations in less than 1.1 or 1.2 seconds. Such operations would be selecting a point in the waveform, then clicking on the menu at the top of the screen. So more than 50% of the time I used the program (from double-clicking it, then quitting it), I had to force quit the f***er. Thus, I completely refuse to touch that program ever again. So be at least halfway helpful to yourself and grab Sound Studio (get the 2.1.1 beta, it's much more stable than 2.1 final).

Now, removing lyrics may or may not be possible. Every time I want to edit out something, I look for an area of the song that has already been provided (such as a back beat or real quick sound effect overlapping) and do a copy and paste (not a cut and paste, I copy the part of the song I think will work) over the lyric that I want to "remove." Now, this is a fairly tedious trial and error process, because not only does the beat have to flow perfectly (every audible beat and all audible rhythm must flow in perfect synchrony), but also (A) the part of the audio clip that you paste (saved to the clipboard) to the part of the waveform where the lyrics is can't be too much louder or quieter than the waveform around it, and (B) the copy/paste content can't have more/fewer beats going on at the same time. Failure to comply with any one of these three conditions will make the paste-over highly obvious to the listener and offending to the audiophile.

In some cases, in which these is no way to make the paste-over perfect, then you are screwed. So enjoy Sound Studio.

so i guess king cobra says dont use audacity...

i asked a question similiar to this a while back... glad to see there still isnt a way to do it...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
g30ffr3y said:
i asked a question similiar to this a while back... glad to see there still isnt a way to do it...

Just be glad you asked here on MacRumors and not at the Syntrillium forums (before they sold out!!)...otherwise, you would have been cast out like a troll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.