Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
i need to make a certain MPEG into a .mov so that i can use it in a MIDI sequencing program. however i can't seem to find a way to do this. i thought maybe iMovie might be able to do it, but it ended up doubling the size of the frame among other things i couldn't quit tell i'm sure, turning a 22 MB file into a 1.something GigaByte file. this just sucks. so does anyone know how to make the switch without making it unusable?

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
wait a second.... wait a second... i'm going to check out this "share" thing. if i'm not back in 5 minutes, don't come after me.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
1) Buy Quicktime Pro if you haven't already ($20 for an enabling code from Apple, worth every penny).

2) Open the mp4 in QT Player.

3) Select "Export", and save it as any format you want, including a .mov with any of a wide variety of audio and video codecs.

There are also free/shareware tools to do this, but that's the easiest way. You could import into iMovie and then re-export in another format, but that's time consuming and not likely worth it.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Changing the extension to .mov might do the trick. It could make your midi app recognize it and play it, since it will probably use quicktime anyway for movieplayback. It won't hurt trying, if it fails just change the name back to the way it was.

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
IL
cc bcc said:
Changing the extension to .mov might do the trick. It could make your midi app recognize it and play it, since it will probably use quicktime anyway for movieplayback. It won't hurt trying, if it fails just change the name back to the way it was.

that wont work. you need to download divx doctor II. it will convert mpeg4 to quicktime .mov. this was just posted a couple days agao. next time do a search. peace. :)

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
well yeah i was thinking i was going to have to buy QT pro, but the "Share" menu command in iMovie had all i really needed. i guess when you import a file into iMovie it changes the format to DV (guessing) which results in huge files. "Share" is pretty much like exporting in QT (i assume) only it's made a little easier. there are presets for web, email, DVD etc. that would automatically adjust the quality and size accordingly, but there's also a quicktime option that can actually export in quite a number of different formats and adjustable settings. kinda like a little bit of QT pro snuck into iMovie (shhh don't tell). so if someone wants to change the file type or quality settings of a movie clip, it can be done on a program that comes installed and ready on your mac.

About2SwitchOvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2004
Boston
But, how long does this EXPORTING take?

Makosuke said:
1) Buy Quicktime Pro if you haven't already ($20 for an enabling code from Apple, worth every penny).

2) Open the mp4 in QT Player.

3) Select "Export", and save it as any format you want, including a .mov with any of a wide variety of audio and video codecs.

There are also free/shareware tools to do this, but that's the easiest way. You could import into iMovie and then re-export in another format, but that's time consuming and not likely worth it.

(First off, I'm so glad I found this thread...didn't want to flood this forum with dupes.. ya know?)

I have a 20" iMac (768 ram, 1 gighz) and was trying to EXPORT an MPG (about 600mbs) into a .mov (so I can import it into iDVD), but after about 75% is complete... QT PRO just dies and I have to Force Quit it....
Is anyone else having this problem? Granted, with all of the other apps running in the background, plus this exportation, the CPU was nearly maxed out at 85%...
Can anyone throw in their input on this one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.