Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I have an 1GB mpeg file that I want to import into iMove and then put on DVD. iDVD willl not let me drop it direclty into itself so I have to import it via iMove and then export to iDVD. However, it converts it to an mpeg4 file but drops the audio completely out! I have imported .avi files created on a digital camera into iMovie and then exported it to iDVD without audio loss but it always drops the audio out of these two 1GB files I am trying to import. Can anyone help me? PLEASE?! Thanks.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Sounds like you have a "muxed" mpeg movie. Muxed mpegs embed the audio track into the video track. (You can verify that by opening it in Quicktime and using the get info command. If you have 10.4, you can also do a spotlight search for "muxed" and spotlight will show you any muxed mpeg movie you have on your hard drive.)

You'll have to demux it before importing in iMovie. Demuxing separates the audio and video tracks so it will import correctly into iMovie and be in an editable state. You need a program called Mpeg Streamclip It's free.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
That's exactly what I would do too, but there are some more suggestions from this .

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
VanNess said:
Sounds like you have a "muxed" mpeg movie. Muxed mpegs embed the audio track into the video track. (You can verify that by opening it in Quicktime and using the get info command. If you have 10.4, you can also do a spotlight search for "muxed" and spotlight will show you any muxed mpeg movie you have on your hard drive.)

You'll have to demux it before importing in iMovie. Demuxing separates the audio and video tracks so it will import correctly into iMovie and be in an editable state. You need a program called Mpeg Streamclip It's free.

OMG! Thank you so much... I was just about to post a question like this.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Just wanted to thank everyone. You were correct. I downloaded a program and demuxed the mpeg and it worked great! Thanks!

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
What about .mov files?

I'm now trying to import .mov files into iMovie. It get an "error unknown" message everytime. Any advice? Thanks.

casperk87

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
San Jose
wow i had this exact same problem just the other day when using final cut. I wish i would have known this earlyer. You should have seen what I did to put audio bakci n the file. I recorded a completly new clip that sounded simliar to what i originally had. For some reason it actually sounded better than before. But it was all bad because I almost resorted to useing a PC to convert it to .MOV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.