Mrs. Robinson, Anne Bancroft, is dead

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Jun 7, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Anne Bancroft, 73 yo died Monday at Mt Sinai in New York. Best known a star in "The Graduate" and "The Miracle Worker." Nominated four Academy Awards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/07/movies/07cnd-bancroft.html?hp&ex=1118203200&en=a5ea8752394ac4fb&ei=5094&partner=homepage

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's sad - I loved her in her roles. 73 is not that old... and cancer is such a horrible way to go.

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to her family and friends. May Anne Bancroft now rest in peace. I remember many of her roles well. I was starting to date when "The Graduate" was shown at the movies. Sadly most of the younger generation will probably not know most of her famous roles.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I always thought she was kind of icky in the Graduate - but I haven't seen it lately. Great movie though.

D

5. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I don't know what to say other than, "here's to you, Mrs. Robinson."

6. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

What a pity. And for the record I'm 16 and I have seen the graduate and WDLove HOW OLD ARE YOU? Starting to date... in 1962... that makes you about... my mom's age? no older... she was born in 53. LOL.

Poor Anne Bancroft. She was a GREAT actress. What a shame.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Indeed, as Annie Sullivan, she was miraculous. She and Patty Duke were quite amazing and "The Miracle Worker" was a film to always be remembered.

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Anyone know how her relationship with Mel was over the past years? Were they a loving couple?

irmongoose

9. doug tessler macrumors newbie

my wife an Acupunturist treats Mel Brooks neice !

My wife spoke to Barbara last night who is Mel Brook's neice and she said that she died on tuesday. She said also that her mom would not go to the funeral because Mel didn't go to Barbara's fathers funeral when he died. This is what my wife says is a family feud. Mel I heard is not that nice of a guy ?!
    The weirdest thing is that barbara wrote the sony Hang On Sloopy which was a hit in the 70s ? And the funniest thing was what she told my what the words in the song meant. Real funny if not strange ! lol Anyway if you want more info email me lol

Doug T :cool:

10. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

the Graduate is one of the best films ever, and it couldn't have happened without Bancroft, she was perfect in the role :)

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Doug: Thanks for the "insider info". Too bad for the family feud, but I'm sure Mel still cared for her... he converted to Roman Catholicism just to please her!

irmongoose

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Los Angeles Times quoted people saying they were a long-time loving couple and everyone could tell. It also said Anne Bancroft had a great sense of humor (which many of her greatest acting roles did not showcase), which would of course be necessary to be a long-time partner of Mel Brooks.

I think I caused her death by asking if she was still around. I was channel-flipping Monday night and came across 84 Charing Cross Road, in which she stars with Anthony Hopkins. So my wife and I watched it, even though I had to protest that it had no alien robots or car chases. The next day, we heard this news. I apologize to all of her fans.

Best Anne Bancroft trivia I know: The famous movie poster from The Graduate was based on a photo taken using a "stunt knee" provided by then-unknown Linda Gray, later famous on the Dallas TV show, and who by coincidence or not, later played Mrs. Robinson herself!

13. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I was born in 1948, I'm 57. I wasn't dating in 1962, was only 15 then. It could have been in 1966 or 1967, for some reason the movie was in theaters about that time.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Anne Bancroft's name at birth was Anna Maria Louisa Italiano. She picked "Bancroft" as her movie star name simply because it sounded nice to her.

15. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly she was among the last of the truly great actors. Her generation of actors had real class and refinement. It seemed very common for them to choose another name. Although I think that her real name sounds very nice also. Her long marriage to Mel Brooks is a great testament to her great personality. That marriage was sadly a rarity in Hollywood.

16. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I made a mistake - I meant 1967. You're my Dad's age. He was born in 48.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i remember seeing the graduate and over the years, it's funny how dustin hoffman and katherine ross aged more than anne bancroft

she always looked so young for her age

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

True for sure.

The Graduate is a classic and will be for many years to come.

While not a leading role, I liked her in the Point of No Return. She could turn her demeanor on a dime.

A very talented actress. Sad news to be taken by cancer when so young.

Sushi

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

She was 35 when The Graduate was filmed and Hoffman was 30. Great movie, and so was The Miracle Worker with Patty Duke.

20. anyacat macrumors newbie

Correction to who wrote Hand on Sloopy

Although a poster claims that someone named Barbara wrote the lyrics to Hang on Sloopy, in fact, the lyrics were written by Wes Ferrall. One of these little facts that is easy to check.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Actually, what doug tessler said is that Barbara wrote the song and could explain the lyrics. Perhaps she wrote the music but not the lyrics.

22. doug tessler macrumors newbie

Yes she supposedly wrote the song ! Co Wrote it

And yes she told me what the words meant ! lol

Being that she is the neice of mel Brooks and I can definetly varify that , I think he got her in the industry briefly and then she became quite a succesful business women without his help.

Doug T