Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9hundred

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
Does the Mac have a multi-channel sound output?

Are there any options for it and is it properly supported by Apple?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Depends what you mean, if you mean surround from a DVD, then the Apple DVD player only supports stereo, although you can but 3rd party soundcards with outputs up to 7.1. You'll need a player that'll talk to the outputs though, I think VLC does. Games are supported ny the 3rd party cards.

If you mean surround in a recording/MIDI sense, then Apple supports multi output via a 3rd party interface like MOTU's 828 FireWire, or emagics EMI 2/6 USB, and pretty much all of the audio/MIDI sytems (Logic, CubaseSX, DP) support multi-channel output. ProTools obviously does, but only in the expensive HD system.

All Macs come with stereo audio output as standard, and most have stereo input as well.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I've still got that problem, Boston Acoustic 5(v):1 speakers, SPDIF input (similair to headphone plug).

Looking at M-Audio, but haven't made any decisions.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
7.1 nice card

check out the forums at http://www.insidemacgames.com they have all the info and reader reviews on the m-audio rev 7.1..
i bought one for $69 at compusa it supports 7.1 output at 24 bits/192hz, sounds great, be forwarned though apple's core audio in itunes, imovie etc. is only 16 bit, still sounds much clearer though, it records at 24 bit/96hz, however would not input on most apps except bias deck 16bit only and peak. as a matter of fact if the app you are using does not implicitly say 24 bits expect 16bit always with this card. must use vlan to output dolby digital not apple's dvd player.
As it stands apple has not upgraded it audio engine for almost a decade since the av's and those were higher quality with real rsc inputs and outputs, rumor has it that the new powermacs may have an maudio 24bit part, since the os is written for it.
It also works great in OS9 just not for most games (distortion)
this is a great buy at under $100 and pci has the bandwith to handle all those channels, i doubt if the usb version can though.
for pro audio the $149 audiophile is a better buy because it works with virtually all pro apps at the input level, has more mature drivers and pro rca jacks instead of mini jacks and midi/

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Originally posted by 9hundred
I mean mostly for dvd and games with an i-mac fp.

You are limited to USB or FireWire 3rd party interfaces then, the pci cards are no use to you.

I believe there are USB stand-alones out there, I use the eMagic EMI 2/6 at home for music/audio production, but I've never tried playing games through it, as I don't have a multi-channel system at home.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
There is this, but the S/PDIF is optical. I know what kind of connector you need, though. Maybe there is an optical to miniplug converter or something...

You could also try the external sound blaster extigy or audigy, or whatever it is called...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.