Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macrazy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Oro Valley, AZ
I remember that NeXT OS, X-Window, SunOS have mutliwindow. Anyone know that Apple is working on it? We should have one for MacOS X. It will be neat!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
can someone explain in basic terms how these things work and why i'd want to use them?

thanks
I just find it usefull not having to shrink apps to the dock whilst using others.
For example, you could have one desktop where your email and web browser are allways open, another for photoshop work, another for VPC sessions etc.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
You might also check out CodeTek Virtual Desktop. I played with a beta and aside from typical beta bugs it seemed okay. Downside is it's shareware. I haven't bought a copy because I don't really use virtual desktops all that much, even when I have them.

edit: Note that CTVD has now been released, and presumably the beta bugs have been fixed.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
One thing I miss from OS9 is that when I clicked on a Applications window all the windows come to the front that are part of that Application, where as in OSX only the window you activated comes to the front, anyone know a way of rectifying this?

Ensign

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
One thing I miss from OS9 is that when I clicked on a Applications window all the windows come to the front that are part of that Application, where as in OSX only the window you activated comes to the front, anyone know a way of rectifying this?

Ensign

Actually, when you click on the application from the dock, all the application windows come to the front... :p :D

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
make sense, but that would involved having to move my cursor up to and including 70cm! I just prefered OS9s way, but I am sure I will survive :)

Ensign

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
make sense, but that would involved having to move my cursor up to and including 70cm! I just prefered OS9s way, but I am sure I will survive :)

Ensign

Talk about lazy, sheeeesh :rolleyes: :p :D

Move the doc to a position you like better (sounds like the right position is what you would want) and put links to your favorite applications at the top of the dock. Size it up or down to fit, and you have something close to the same place as under OS 9.x...

Why does it seem like we (people in the US) are always coming up with the solutions for the brit's problems??? :eek: :p :D :cool:

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I just helped one dude from the US on a .mac issue! and a guy from the UK! As for politics GB likes to think he solves our problems but normally makes them more complex :) :) :)

Ensign:p ;) :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Ensign

You could always activate keyboard shortcuts, activate the dock from the shortcut, cursor to the desired application icon, and press <return>. Then, you wouldn't have to move the mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.