Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I generally don't buy from iTunes anymore. Amazon is usually cheaper -- .89 or .99 cents. That's where my business went.

That is what the music companies want. They want Amazon or another competitor to emerge as an equal to iTunes, so that Apple has reduced power - which goes back into the music industries hand.

Then, they can raise prices on all the online stores (since there isn't a dominant one that can say 'f' you').

The record companies, after years of stupid after stupid, are finally playing a smart game.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Raising the price of something during a recession = Dumb. Encourages many to just "take" songs from other sources. These songs are not Apple products that people are willing to pay more for so goodbye music biz... again!

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
At least now there's an easy way to identify the filler tracks on an album.

$1.29 - the good tracks.
$.99 - the filler tracks.

Thanks record companies!

(Of course I'm exaggerating...slightly.)

Freeþinker

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2005
northern Virginia
No improvement in format means no justification for price increase

It disgusts me how all these pimps in the music industry keep trying to win themselves a thicker and thicker cut of the sales. These lumbering mastodons deserve to lose their fortunes because they're not adding anything to the experience of listening to music. Do we really need record companies anymore? Their main responsibility seems to be just writing checks--and mainly to themselves. They're still pissed that iTunes allows consumers to select only the songs they want to buy rather than forcing a customer to buy a whole album, which typically contains about two-thirds dud tracks and about one-third songs worth repeated listening. Thank god iTunes lets you buy most songs a la carte.

I'm not happy about how iTunes' DRM is punishing law-abiding customers, but I do like how it has wrenched the distribution of music away from these parasites.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
I generally don't buy from iTunes anymore. Amazon is usually cheaper -- .89 or .99 cents. That's where my business went.

No kidding - those prices are great! How can Amazon make money selling 100+ songs for only a DOLLAR?

Seriously - decimal points + "cents" == FAIL. Unless you are Verizon and you're billing for international data - then it == WIN (for Verizon).

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I highly doubt that there are many people out there who were readily buying songs on iTunes for $0.99 and now scoff at the idea with prices of $1.29. It is still a throw away amount.

Well, my typical thought process always went like this:

"Ooh, that's a good song. I should buy it. Well, wait... what about the other songs on this album? Maybe I'll like enough songs that it makes more sense to buy the entire album than the one song. OK, so I should probably buy the entire album. Well, wait.. before I buy the album on iTunes, I should see how much the CD costs. If the CD is only a dollar or two more, I'd rather get that instead. Let's check online... hmm, I wonder if this will go on sale anytime soon?"

... and in the end I don't buy anything from iTunes because I wait to see if the physical CD can be had for roughly the same price. You should see my iTunes wishlist. Full of albums that I want to buy, but am waiting to see if I can get a better deal first.

If the song is 99 cents, it's more of a no-brainer -- I'll waste a dollar quite readily -- but if it's more, I semi-subconsciously start to think "wait, is this a good idea?" Similarly if an album is $9.99 online then it's more likely to be "cheap enough to just buy online" compared to say a $14.99 CD, whereas if the online album pricing is say $12.99 then I'd rather spend the extra dollars for the CD.

Cheaper is always better of course but there's a low point where it's cheap enough to go ahead and buy impulsively and conversely there's a high point where I start to think about alternative purchase scenarios.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I could see that, speaking for myself I don't buy as much maybe only about 3/4 songs per month. And the app store maybe around 1 or 2 (for paid apps)

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
MY music purchases have not really changed much. If I only want 1 or 2 songs from an album ill buy them on itunes. If i want more than that I'll just buy the CD and import them.

MOST if my purchases in itunes are music vids and tv shows. I dont even usually buy movies, since a lot of new movies come out for $20 on Blu-Ray, old for as little as $10 on Blu-Ray.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I too went to Amazon....it's a very simple, well integrated-with-iTunes system. Although I still get my iTunes free songs of the week! If it had worked out the way they said where a majority of songs were going to be $.69 maybe it would have worked, depending on how long it took for new releases to decrease in price, but they have practically every song for $1.29.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

aka Supply and Demand. Are you saying basic economics work? Does Obama know about this?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Well, my typical thought process always went like this:

"Ooh, that's a good song. I should buy it. Well, wait... what about the other songs on this album? Maybe I'll like enough songs that it makes more sense to buy the entire album than the one song. OK, so I should probably buy the entire album. Well, wait.. before I buy the album on iTunes, I should see how much the CD costs. If the CD is only a dollar or two more, I'd rather get that instead. Let's check online... hmm, I wonder if this will go on sale anytime soon?"

... and in the end I don't buy anything from iTunes because I wait to see if the physical CD can be had for roughly the same price. You should see my iTunes wishlist. Full of albums that I want to buy, but am waiting to see if I can get a better deal first.

Heh, that's hilarious - you just described my buying process to a T. Actually, to be more accurate my non-buying process, as I typically end up not buying anything. I decide buying the CD (at the same price or less than the digital download) is a smarter way to go, then I don't end up going to the store (virtual or real) to buy it.

Nice job Hollywood, fewer sales for you!

These days I typically buy just a couple of songs here and there based on what I hear (and like) on Slacker Radio on my iPhone - certainly not the ideal buying pattern from the record companies' perspective. Then again, without Slacker I wouldn't be buying songs at all.

What Hollywood really wants is for all of us to be locked into a Zune-like fixed monthly subscription, guaranteeing that 99% of us spend more on music in a year than we would otherwise.

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
I've curbed my spending on iTunes over recent months and have turned to Amazon. Most the tracks I want on iTunes these days are £0.99, when on Amazon they can be as little as £0.29, I can't warrant paying a quid per track. Sure it's only a 20p price increase, but it all adds up in the end.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
It seems like every time I want to buy a song, it's $1.29. OK, so I go to Amazon and that same song is also $1.29. I usually end up buying it on iTunes most of the time just for the convenience.

I rarely buy whole albums anymore because they usually aren't worth the price.

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
Holy Macroeconomics Batman! Higher Prices = Lower Demand Someone give these people the Nobel Prize in Economics immediately!

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
If sales go down 5% because of a 30% per song price increase, and your profit goes up 30% per song due to the price increase - well, you have increased profits by almost 25%. Which is not dumb at all...

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
As one of the earlier posters said, perhaps the music from the last year isn't as good. I know my purchases have decreased significantly simply because I can't find anything I need to have. Then, in the event I do find something, I see that it is $1.29, and I decide I don't like it that much anymore. The bottom line is $0.99 was the sweet spot.

Also, price increases while demand decreases at the same rate, would equal no net gain. So apparently something worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.