Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
So, I decided to get a 15" TiBook. No more waiting, it'll be perfect for me. Now I'm looking for my list of "must haves" for my new laptop. I've never had a laptop before, so I figure there's a few things I'll need.

I'm already getting:

Applecare
Airport
Extra Power Adapter (one to leave home, one to go with PB)
Lind Auto/Air DC adapter (for use on the road)
Kensington PocketMouse
Marware Sportfolio (I want a Waterfield RacerX, but they're not making any more until the new 15" PB comes out. Can anyone recommend something that's RacerX-like?).
Final Cut Express
iKlear Apple Polish Kit

I have read that I should get something to protect the screen when closed against the keyboard. Marware sells a little pad for like $7, will that do the trick, or is there something much nicer?

I don't suspect I'll need an extra battery just yet, as I don't think I'll be too far from a power plug for too long most days.

Anything else?

Thanks!

...Jim

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
sounds good to me...

if you haven't, get the biggest ram you can afford.

if you'll be traveling a lot (flying), i recommend getting a kensington usb light. i don't use it much because i don't fly much now, but it works great in dark places.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Yup

Yup, 1 Gig memory already coming.

Don't fly that much, if at all, so I don' t think I'll need the USB light.

Thanks!

...Jim

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
I picked up a white swiveling base that I use at home.

I bought it as an impulse buy (it was by the register at TechServe, NYC, and I was already a little distracted because Sam Waterson was next in line), so I don't know who makes it, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it does three things quite well:

1. it allows the PB to rest at an incline for more comfortable typing
2. it lets me turn my PB like a monitor to show someone the screen
3. it allows air to flow underneath the base, keeping it cooler -- my fan almost never comes on unless I'm Photoshoping+iTunes importing+....

Much more useful and effective than I had expected it to be.

And I'd also recommend the extra battery in the event that you ever deign to fly in steerage...er...coach. In general, you can't plug in when you fly with the herd.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Originally posted by idea_hamster
... I was already a little distracted because Sam Waterson was next in line...
My wife is a big Law & Order junkie and she would be envious. Hmmm, maybe I can use this as leverage the next time we're visiting New York, for a reason to go to the TekServe store ("But honey, I've heard that Sam Waterson shops there...") ;)

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
<concedely OT>

It was a neat David Letterman brush-with-greatness type of moment...and for someone who's spent as much time in NYC as I have, it was (surprisingly) my first time really rubbing elbows with a celeb.

I've seen celebs in restaurants and accidentally wound up chewing the rag in a bar with the producer of the 10th Anniv. Les Miz., but this was the first time seeing a celeb. doing something every-day.

FYI, he's taller than I thought from watching L&O, maybe 6'-4"/5", and his features are _much_ more chisled -- if you think his face has character on screen, it has even more in person.

</concedely OT>

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
All looks good.
The 4 most important on my list are:
AppleCare, extra batteries, extra power adapter, and a good sleave.

A good neoprene sleave (but something like this) and a water resistant bag.
I have a Timbuk2 bag and a Darth Megalopolis from Boblbee. The Boblbee has traveled the world and is a perfect backpack for such. I have many of the modular add ons. It isn’t very good if you have to toat a lot of books though. It does meet airline carry on restrictions. Timbuk2 bags just rock. They can also make a custom sleeve.

I would get a good USB floppy drive. There pretty inexpensive.

A USB flash media drive, for quickly exchanging files between non WiFi competitor. Also good for school, as you can plug it in at the labs and save your preferences. They work cross platform and USB is fairly universal. Most don't require drivers, so it's plug and play. I bought a Lexar 128MB for $39 dollars. I also store my digital keys, bookmarks, FTP and security software on it.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Can you guys tell me anything more about Timbuk2 bags? I've never used a messenger bag. I need a new backpack for college that can safely hold the new powerbook I will be getting. I think the El Ocho looks really cool, and it's not that expensive. Any comments or suggestions?

nick_s

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
K2 Snowboards has a great bag- the Jiver- it has a suspended computer section, cd pockets, etc. I've had a couple models and they work very well.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Re: Must haves for Powerbooks

Originally posted by plutnicki

I have read that I should get something to protect the screen when closed against the keyboard. Marware sells a little pad for like $7, will that do the trick, or is there something much nicer?

...Jim

I've been partial to these 8.5 x 11 white protective sheets. iPaper. Or maybe it was just paper. Who can remember....
:D

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by Phatpat
Can you guys tell me anything more about Timbuk2 bags? I've never used a messenger bag. I need a new backpack for college that can safely hold the new powerbook I will be getting. I think the El Ocho looks really cool, and it's not that expensive. Any comments or suggestions?

A guy here at work uses one to tote around his 17. They seem sturdy enough if you've got the cash.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Re: Timbuk2

Good sturdy construction.
I like the look of waxed canvas, so that's what I have, but the guts of the bag are synthetic. Heck, the company lets you make an ugly bag and return it if you don't like it.
I have yet to run into anybody that has warn a Timbuk2 bag out yet. I have the commuter, which was just discontinued. If you get a messenger bag, find some ditty bags to go into it or you'll loose stuff.

Worth the money. The Jand Esk is also very good. And Patagonia also makes good rugged and ugly bags. http://www.Ebags.com often has savings on all of these company's products. I have used them all. The Jand Esk is a big bag with lots of pockets, Patagonia makes large and small bags that are absolutely ugly, and Timbuk2.

rundevilrun

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2002
I splurged and bought the Brenthaven backpack. I really like it and think it's well worth the money. It has a removable padded sleeve so you have more room for other stuff when you don't need the powerbook. (mine doubles as my camera gear bag) Yes it's pricey but when it fell out of my truck onto the pavement and didn't give my new 17" pb and digital camera even a scratch in my mind it's paid for itself already.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
What about Acme?

Anyone use one of the acmemade screen covers. Theirs is a pretty nice looking wrap around design. Seems like it might help protect the outside of the TiBook a bit as well (if the paint is as delicate as many people seem to think).

The case advice is cool. I have a bag fetish, so I'm sure I'll end up with more than one, but the Marware should cover my short term needs until I get something bigger...

Thx,

...Jim

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
The iKlear Apple Polish Kit comes with a dozen large cloths, polish and several individually wrapped sets of polish and smaller cloths. I make one cut on the large cloths and use the cloth as my screen cover. Throw it out when it gets dirty, 12 cloths should last a year. 15" TiPB screen stays nice.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i would check out radtech.us and iskinprotect.com they both have some cool products

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I've been looking at Timbuk2 cases. I think the Commuter looks good; it's the one Apple sells on their website. I also checked out the El Ocho and Dee Dog. I need this for school and don't really have a sense of size. What's a good volume for a bag w/ a powerbook and college books and supplies? Thanks

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Re: Must haves for Powerbooks

Applecare <- definately!
Airport <- ditto
Extra Power Adapter (one to leave home, one to go with PB) <- hmm, i'm not so sure. i just have the one and i can't see a 2nd one would help me that much

Errr.... that sounds like a pretty stupid buy - i'm still using the foam-clothy thing that came between the screen+keyboard when i bought my iBook and mine's fine.

before you buy Office:mac (if you're thinking about it) i would seriously look at other alternatives, like OpenOffice (completely free and completely compatible). I really don't think its worth the money you pay for it; very slow, pretty buggy too. Entourage is a massive con. What can it do that Address Book/Mail/iCal can't? I used it for a while and then switched to the apple combo.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Already have Office v.X

Got a great deal on it through a friend that works for Microsoft... I only use Excel and Word really tho'.

Sounds like there's all sorts of solutions to the screen cover/keyboard thing.

Thanks,

...Jim

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
I bought the Timbuk 2 bag at the Apple store. It's the fourth messenger bag I've owned and will likely be my last.

After several years of longing for the Holy Grail of bags, this may finally be the one.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
you bought a timbuk2 at the apple store? Why didn't yo0u customize your own on thier website...Thats oen of the coolest features

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.