Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It is a G4...

Originally posted by MacDuffer

It sure is. And Apple is in a real pickle with processors. THAT's the darned problem. And, I agree that SOMETHING has to be done to make a bigger distinction between i and TiBooks WITHOUT havig to use the G3, but duallies are hot hot hot! Applee is in a real jam ("pickle", "jam"... I gotta go eat!).

Things will get better this year, when that new IBM processor comes out. Until then, we'll be squirming in our seats! :(

The new 7457 G4 consumes only 7.5W of power vs. at least 12W or so for the curent 7455. So maybe dual-G4 PowerBooks are actually a possiblity? The 7457 is supposed to come out in February, but maybe Apple will announce at MWSF and start taking preorders?

Then again, if they put in dual-G4s in the PowerBooks I think they will put a G4 in the iBook at the same time - which gets back to your point about not enough difference between iBook and PowerBook. But it would just be like the iMac is to the PowerMac: the "Power" line would have Dual CPUs, better components, and greater expandability (not that the PowerBook has that much expandability, but at least it has a card slot whereas the iBook doesn't).

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: Re: Re: It is a G4...

Originally posted by -hh

The "problem" I was referring to was the cannibalization of Powerbook sales if the iBook is moved up too far in performance.

if apple could make a faster, cheaper ibook, i think they would since it's time for apple's consumer lines to catch up to the pc, regardless of what it does to the tibook's reputation

the pc laptops, like dell's consumer 2650 series vs their top of the line 8200 series, has a lot of overlap...a maxed out 2650 costs more than a simply outfitted 8200

same with compaq and their budget 900 series and their higher end 1500 series

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It is a G4...

Originally posted by lmalave

The new 7457 G4 consumes only 7.5W of power vs. at least 12W or so for the curent 7455. So maybe dual-G4 PowerBooks are actually a possiblity?

I don't know who was talking about this before, but I've heard this several times over. I think it would be a miraculous feat if Apple were able to put two G4s in their PowerBook without making the damn thing glow red-hot when you power it up. Just because the 7.5W is the rate for the newer chip doesn't mean it's going to be drastically cooler in there. You have hard disks, batteries, optical drives, etc. heating everything up.
I'm going to go with 'not possible' on this one.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It is a G4...

Originally posted by arnette

I don't know who was talking about this before, but I've heard this several times over. I think it would be a miraculous feat if Apple were able to put two G4s in their PowerBook without making the damn thing glow red-hot when you power it up. Just because the 7.5W is the rate for the newer chip doesn't mean it's going to be drastically cooler in there. You have hard disks, batteries, optical drives, etc. heating everything up.

Agreed, Apple would have to improve the cooling system. But look, at 7.5W even dual G4s consume less power than any single Pentium 4 mobile or whatnot chip (I think I read something like 20W for a P4-M?). Of course, PC's run hot and sometimes have loud fans. But look, from all the stories of how hot the PowerBook gets, it's not like it's even in Apple's strategy at all to have a PowerBook that runs as cool as my iBook. If Apple gets better cooling and a slightly better battery, they can build a dual-G4 PowerBook that doesn't run any hotter and gets just as much battery life as the current PowerBooks. Would it be a marvel of engineering? Sure. But look at Apple's winning streak lately (TiBook, iPod, FP iMac).

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It is a G4...

Originally posted by arnette

Huh?

If the CPU itself consumes/emits 7.5W of power, then having two CPUs instead of one adds exactly 7.5W to the power-dissipation requirements. Assuming Apple doesn't add a heating coil in there just for kicks, if the current single CPU is dissipating 12W and the dual-CPUs are together dissipating 15W, that's a 3W difference. Which isn't all that huge (considering that, as you rightly pointed out, there are many other components which generate more heat than the CPU collectively ... and of course Intel PC vendors somehow manage to dissipate the 50-70W radiating from their P4 chips like a blast furnace ... I think Apple might be able to swing an extra 3W of dissipation if it means a second CPU on a laptop, which noone on the Intel side it even dreaming of ...)

I'm going to go with 'definitely possible, assuming the 7.5W dissipation figure is accurate' on this one.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It is a G4...

Originally posted by jettredmont
I'm going to go with 'definitely possible, assuming the 7.5W dissipation figure is accurate' on this one.

And I'm going with the "definitely desirable, assuming I can think of an excuse to get one"!! :)

Nemesis

macrumors regular
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It is a G4...

Originally posted by skunk

And I'm going with the "definitely desirable, assuming I can think of an excuse to get one"!! :)

I'd like to think in a different way.

For example: A year ago, 98% of rumorz predicted G3 flat panel iMac. G4 iMac was considered to be a dream, because all ProMacs were using G4. Well, so what if ProMacs use G4?

Apple proved that even rumorz and those loyal to the platform and those who spend hours and hours in analysing things were wrong! Remember those updates at Apple's web site few days before MWSF 2002? ;)

And not only G4 in iMac -- no one actually couldn't imagine how new iMac would be marvelously designed machine! Floating screen!? Did you hear anything about that in rumorz? All I remember were those funny kiddish concepts exhibited in web boards but nothing as completely different and radical as new iMac.

I like the way Apple denies common logic and "linear" anticipation of things coming. All rumorz are in vain, because simple deduction and trend analysing don't suit Apple's way. They, however, suit Wintel world more accurately, because that world is not driven by invention, passion and radical new improvements.

So, think different. Expect the unexpected. Anything is possible, because that's Apple's way. In fact, all creative people are driven by this simple truth.

And also, all wars are based on deception. IT and Hi-tech industry are the same battlefields as those described in Sun Tzu's masterpiece few millenia ago.

For example, in early 2002 Apple touted that Jaguar will be released somewhere in September/October 2002, but, au contraire: it was released in August! That was a great surprise for both customers and software industry and everyone cheered Apple! Great! All that coupled with outstanding new features Jaguar has, produced a winner -- and that's Jaguar, because the atmosphere surrounding Apple's big cat was auspicios and cool.

But Apple knew that, they did this on purpose and everything was directed carefully. If you analyse this, you'll eventually conclude that all was a big, cool, marketing perfomance.

So, in few days, again ... expect the unexpected. Because the ammount of deception is very high now and the best thing is move our asses out of the foggy valley. :)

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
my prediction is that apple will alienate even more design professionals like myself. yeah i'm using a PEECEE now.

by the time i need to upgrade, i truly hope apple get it's act together.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Jookbox
my prediction is that apple will alienate even more design professionals like myself. yeah i'm using a PEECEE now.

by the time i need to upgrade, i truly hope apple get it's act together.

besides speed, what advantage does a pc have for designers?

imamacguy17

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
Jookbox is using a PC

so jookbox said he's using a PC and hopes apple gets its act together before its time to upgarde.
so that means jookbox is expecting apple to get there act together like three weeks ago, or the
day after he bought his P(retty)C(rappy) box. If you are running into speed bottle necks thats impressive
because i've never ran into any problems. and as always remeber how tolerant designers where to running
photoshop on Power Mac 6100s. I think people "switching" to PCs and then whinning about having to do it
is rediculous and mundane. Apple can not help what components they get. it is not Apples fault. They give
us the best that they can at the time. Its not like they whipped motherboards out of their @$$es every time
something new comes out. so we see high volume of the 970 early second half of this year. expect to see it
in the Xserve in July and Power Macs in January 04. BECAUSE IT TAKES TIME TO IMPLEMENT NEW TECHNOLOGY!
This is the year of the Mac. Every year Apple seems to be doing better. with that in mind quit feeding into the
megahertz myth and use your 2+ ghz PC and whinning about Apple and its 1.25 dualies when ghz doesnt matter.
It mattered back in the day of the 68K chips not anymore 100 megahertz and such dont make a difference any more.
its all about the parts talking to eachother. Rumors I bet we wont see. Apple branded phone (maybe partnership with Sony Erickson but no Apple phone) No Tablet. These things are stupid and fairly useless. Definately no Apple on intel or AMD. it aint going to happen until microsoft palladium crap happens. I for one cant wait for tomorrow and am always impressed.

Mac Addict since my dad brought home a MAC SE in '87.
God Save the Queen because she needs all the help she can get

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Re: Jookbox is using a PC

Originally posted by imamacguy17
If you are running into speed bottle necks thats impressive
because i've never ran into any problems. and as always remeber how tolerant designers where to running
photoshop on Power Mac 6100s.

I remember running PS 1.0 while I was in school on LC IIs and Mac Color Classics. 68020 and 030 processors at a whopping 10-15 mhz with no math co-processors. Talk about Zen-like patience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.