Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linjac951

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
The "z" part numbers are CTO computers and the "LL" ones are standard models.

thats good to know, thanks. But my previous 2012 model didn't have CTO model number and it had i5 with 8Gb. weird

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
My model number on my box is weird too. it is z0nz0001u instead of the usual one that starts with md...ll/a

Also, for those who wanted a picture, there you go. geez.

I bought a mid-2013 MacBook Air a month ago, and just checked my manual. It also says Thunderbolt 2. It is base model, here are a couple pics attached (got the magsafe and receipt bundled because I'm getting ready to sell it since I got a retina macbook). How do I tell that my Mac has TB2? I don't own any TB devices. :( Sent from my MacBook Pro.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 337
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:

linjac951

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
I bought a mid-2013 MacBook Air a month ago, and just checked my manual. It also says Thunderbolt 2. It is base model, here are a couple pics attached (got the magsafe and receipt bundled because I'm getting ready to sell it since I got a retina macbook). How do I tell that my Mac has TB2? I don't own any TB devices. :( Sent from my MacBook Pro.

Sorry pal, I have heard some people were getting these manuals mistakenly, but unless in your about mac says early 2014, you probably don't have it. I also heard they were packaging it with Refurb macbook airs with those manuals.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Sorry pal, I have heard some people were getting these manuals mistakenly, but unless in your about mac says early 2014, you probably don't have it. I also heard they were packaging it with Refurb macbook airs with those manuals.

Ah ok, I see. I couldn't find anything else about it, but got me excited there for a while! Sent from my MacBook Pro.

linjac951

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
I was actually thinking about this a lot lately and it could be Apple sampling because intel could have stopped production on thunderbolt 1 since the release of thunderbolt 2. Apple is probably sampling the Thunderbolt 2 controllers. Probably to avoid confusion because some people were getting the fresh from the factory thunderbolt 2 controllers and the thunderbolt 1 controllers on the original MacBooks they got rid of the thunderbolt 2 from the manuals. I think they way you can find out if you got it is to test if you can. I think it would be most likely will be on 1.4GHz model because they are new and they have to solder it to a new motherboard and i7 models may be sampled. If yours was built to order CTO models, you may have it. But don't count on it. i7 models are most likely come from what already is built meaning thunderbolt 1. I was probably lucky. I blame this soley on intel, they couldn't update their broad well chips on time.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I was actually thinking about this a lot lately and it could be Apple sampling because intel could have stopped production on thunderbolt 1 since the release of thunderbolt 2.

So I just got a brand new MBA 11" with i7 processor. Funny enough, my manual also says Thunderbolt 2!

However.. Comparing 'lspci' output between my older 13" Haswell MBA and the MBA 11" - I don't see any differences (other than SATA controller being made by Samsung vs Toshiba).

Here's lspci out from from older MBA:

lspci-mba2013_zpsa7cd8de7.jpg

And this is from the one with "Thunderbolt 2" manual:

lspci-mba2014_zpsdbfb540e.jpg

As you can see - Host bridge controller is identical. So it appears that I still have TB1 controller, despite the fact my manual says "Thunderbolt 2".

Would you be able to post your lspci output? I am very curious to see it.

linjac951

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
So I just got a brand new MBA 11" with i7 processor. Funny enough, my manual also says Thunderbolt 2!

However.. Comparing 'lspci' output between my older 13" Haswell MBA and the MBA 11" - I don't see any differences (other than SATA controller being made by Samsung vs Toshiba).

Here's lspci out from from older MBA:

And this is from the one with "Thunderbolt 2" manual:

As you can see - Host bridge controller is identical. So it appears that I still have TB1 controller, despite the fact my manual says "Thunderbolt 2".

Would you be able to post your lspci output? I am very curious to see it.

i deleted my ubuntu partition because i needed some space, when I have time Ill reinstall it and show you. Or maybe ill try a live usb. Sometime next week. Also, you have to connect something in ur thunderbolt port to see the thunderbolt controller. Thats the only time you could see what you have.

And I said they maybe sampling i7 with thunderbolt 2, they may or may not have it. It depends when they manufactured your logic board. Mine was manufactured Early May and was shipped directly from China. Also, I am not sure with the i5 but i speculate that they have thunderbolt 2. But I could be wrong... I really hope you have it, so people could stop bugging me. Seems I am the only one to report having thunderbolt 2. Im apparently the only one to also have early 2014 on my i7 in my about my mac.

Anyways. I got my 3rd monitor, didn't work... So that sucked. Was so Happy for a sec. I can still do with 2 external monitors.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
i deleted my ubuntu partition because i needed some space, when I have time Ill reinstall it and show you. Or maybe ill try a live usb. Sometime next week. Also, you have to connect something in ur thunderbolt port to see the thunderbolt controller. Thats the only time you could see what you have.

Ah, good point. Well, mine is DSL3510 Cactus Ridge - so it's most certainly TB1.

tb-mba2014-2_zps3de4a577.jpg

And since you seem to have been banned - I guess we will just have to keep wondering ;)

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
I think it would be most likely will be on 1.4GHz model because they are new and they have to solder it to a new motherboard and i7 models may be sampled. If yours was built to order CTO models, you may have it. But don't count on it. i7 models are most likely come from what already is built meaning thunderbolt 1. I was probably lucky. I blame this soley on intel, they couldn't update their broad well chips on time.

Actually these chips are exactly the same for 2013 and 2014 models. They are only clocked different, that is, different BIOS/EFI/SMB (different firmware) was used on these MBAs. Maybe (just maybe) the rev of these chips differs, but I'am still 100% positive that the old ones could handle additional 100mhz. However I do agree that it's possible Apple is silently udating the boards on some (not all) of the new MBAs to optimize their production line.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
He's banned for being a complete troll and treating users like trash.

I read his other post on the MBA gaming benchmarks and I understand that his posts lacked logic and basic analysis - but I don't see trolling or treating people like trash. Despite his incorrect and shallow interpretation of empirical benchmarks - he did, after all, perform a benchmark on his MBA, which expands our overall knowledge of the 2014 model.

But perhaps he shouldn't have been banned - what if the hardware report from Ubuntu really told us that some 2014 MBAs had TB2? Now he's probably offended and won't come back. You can read this thread with a great degree of skepticism - and even fabricating truths here would have done less harm as compared to him being removed from the forums.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
I read his other post on the MBA gaming benchmarks and I understand that his posts lacked logic and basic analysis - but I don't see trolling or treating people like trash. Despite his incorrect and shallow interpretation of empirical benchmarks - he did, after all, perform a benchmark on his MBA, which expands our overall knowledge of the 2014 model.

But perhaps he shouldn't have been banned - what if the hardware report from Ubuntu really told us that some 2014 MBAs had TB2? Now he's probably offended and won't come back. You can read this thread with a great degree of skepticism - and even fabricating truths here would have done less harm as compared to him being removed from the forums.

He called myself and another a retard and a dick, because we had a different opinion, in a different thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.