Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Wow 200MB/s seq read and write. Not bad for a platter drive!! Ive filled up 1.5TB now and it is running like an all SSD Mac :)

I am starting to regret not getting the 3TB Fusion Drive.

And it appears there's a real good reason why Apple did not offer a 4TB option. Seagate aint making 7200.14 one.

Based on Newegg's pricing selecting out a 1TB HDD for a 3TB is a $50 difference. It would've been nice if the flash drive used was 256GB at $250.

Last edited:

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Looking at the cost... it becomes a 50/50. Neither right for me or wrong for me.

$80 - 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003
$90 1TB Western Digital Blue WD10EALX

$170 - 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM003

Source: Newegg.com

$150 1TB to 3TB upgrade

Source: Apple.com

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
If the backlight bleeding doesn't bother you then that's fair enough, but as others have said that appears to be some pretty severe backlight bleeding. My 21.5 inch 2011 has almost none, it's barely visible at full brightness on a black screen. My 27 inch 2009 model was pretty good too, with almost nothing. I wouldn't accept anything less than that, personally. If you were to watch a movie with black borders (or play a game with dark graphics around the edges), would that not bother you?

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
It is possible that the perceived backlight bleeding may be a result of a overzealous camera trying to expose a room that has no light? :)

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
It is possible that the perceived backlight bleeding may be a result of a overzealous camera trying to expose a room that has no light? :)

Exactly.
For comparison, everyone should take the photos say at ISO 100, F5.6 with exposure of say 1s for example. In a dark room it should give an image good enough to compare to other peoples images...

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Exactly.
For comparison, everyone should take the photos say at ISO 100, F5.6 with exposure of say 1s for example. In a dark room it should give an image good enough to compare to other peoples images...

If it does not bother the thread starter then I wouldn't get bothered on his behalf.

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012

I would say thats a 99% chance

I have a cannon 7D and if i try to take a oic in a dark room it will over expose any light part of the pic to an extreme amount.

the only way to do this is with a black rgb setting of 0,0,0 then with a normal room lighting natural light preferred hen with your back to the iMac take a direct light reading lock that in and face the iMac and expose the shot

anything else is completely meaningless most of the pic posted hear are completely over exposed with any light bit blown out as can be seen with the menu bar shown in some posts

I am not saying that there is not a problem with the iMac but there is certainly is with the posted shots

IMHO the question is what does it look like in normal lighting at normal viewing distance if its ok then its OK

yes I know Apple have had a few problems with this in the past but I do think people are looking for the least fault

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

My second picture looks almost exactly like it does out of my eyes. I would love to see a 21" or 27" with no backlight bleed like some people are claiming!!! Ive owned many LCD and LED tv's and panels in my life and they all have the same kind of backlight bleed. I popped down the local Apple store today aswell to grab another wired keyboard and all the new imacs there have the same issue.

If someone can show me a 27" with no backlight bleed im going to take it back, but until then im happy.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Well, here is the thing (have 2008 Imac) and Dell u2711.

IPS, comes with trade offs just like every other display technology. Not even OLED will be perfect, and people are paying outragous prices for that. The 55-incher that Samsung and LG are launching here soon, will cost the same as a decent car. That's a lot for something that is cool, but not perfect.

IPS, like Plasma have colors that pop much better than what we had before. The viewing angles are fantastic. So it has Backlight bleeding and some of them are prone to ghosting, but in the grand scheme of things they are amazing.
The only time I noticed bleeding was during dark loading screens when gaming. I didn't even notice it watching movies, unless the lighting conditions were completely unacceptable, but the 2008 Imac had so much glare that it was crazy.

Plasma looks better than LCD, but even that has it's annoying quirks. I have a 3000 dollars high end LG 60 inch hdtv that looks amazing. It's fabolous and just a hair under the legendary Kuro in image quality. However, it still comes with freaking annoying image rentention. stay on the same news channel for 1 hour or play the same game for an hour, and logos and HUD elements are stuck in the screen for a while. It sucks, but why would you expect perfect?

stuff is as good as it is. If you took a 4 year old MBP and compared its screen against the new Imac, I think it's clear to see what sort of improvements they have mate to deeper blacks, contrast etc.

As for the glossy. Well, it sells machine in the stores. It is not practical and annoying but under the well lit surroundings of retailers it makes colors pop even more. The older Imacs at least had their color gamut tampered with. increased saturation to make it more colorful. Apple actually designed it to not give an authentic experience, but just make it that bit more colorful. It messes with your brain, but so what? it looks wonderful.

it's the graphics designers who perhaps should go with the Dell or NEC screen, as color accuracy is important. Maybe this is not the case on new Imacs.

TL;DR - It's as good as it is - Louis CK.

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Can you not run Boot Camp on the Fusion Drive???

You can run Boot Camp on the HDD if it is 1TB.

You can run Boot Camp on the HDD if it is 3TB too, but only if you do a special partitioning of the HDD :mad:

You cannot run Boot Camp on the Fusion drive itself and get SSD speeds in Windows. Windows has to run off the HDD.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
You can run Boot Camp on the HDD if it is 1TB.

You can run Boot Camp on the HDD if it is 3TB too, but only if you do a special partitioning of the HDD :mad:

You cannot run Boot Camp on the Fusion drive itself and get SSD speeds in Windows. Windows has to run off the HDD.

Just delete the fusion logical drive, create a 20gb partition on the SSD for windows and then create a fusion partition again using the remaining space. With some simple steps you get windows on SSD on the 3TB fusion.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Good stuff. However, OP didn't mention anything at all about the performance of the GPU, his top-of-the-line 680MX. How's that working out, and how does it compare to desktop GPUs?

I cant use my 680mx until Apple release an update for 3TB fusion drives and bootcamp or i install my 512GB SSD.

----------

Just delete the fusion logical drive, create a 20gb partition on the SSD for windows and then create a fusion partition again using the remaining space. With some simple steps you get windows on SSD on the 3TB fusion.

You cant do that, DU automatically fuses the drives back together when you try to partition the HDD or SSD after breaking the logical volume.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
From what I know it does not join the two without asking if you want to fix the "errors", on the command line I can't see why it should not be possible....

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
From what I know it does not join the two without asking if you want to fix the "errors", on the command line I can't see why it should not be possible....
Yep and without fixing the errors you get no other choices, its either fuse the drives back together or nothing lol.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
Using the graphical interface I understand but I doubt that it is not possible using only command line.

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
If it does not bother the thread starter then I wouldn't get bothered on his behalf.

I agree, but you do realize that he is much more bothered than what he's ready to admit.
The only pictures he sent about his first impressions are about the bleeding, preemptively mentioning that he's fine with it, while later admitting that he's OCD. I can't see any OCD person like myself not getting crazy about this problem.

To me it sounded more like this post was about finding people to tell him that his screen was fine, that he should not worry about the bleeding on his $2k+ new machine, that every piece of LCD out there was indeed like that...
And I would say those things, because I am a nice person, but I just can't... the bleeding on that screen is just horrible and I would return that thing before it's too late...

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I agree, but you do realize that he is much more bothered than what he's ready to admit.
The only pictures he sent about his first impressions are about the bleeding, preemptively mentioning that he's fine with it, while later admitting that he's OCD. I can't see any OCD person like myself not getting crazy about this problem.

To me it sounded more like this post was about finding people to tell him that his screen was fine, that he should not worry about the bleeding on his $2k+ new machine, that every piece of LCD out there was indeed like that...
And I would say those things, because I am a nice person, but I just can't... the bleeding on that screen is just horrible and I would return that thing before it's too late...

You made a bad assumption there my friend, the OP was not to get people to judge the backlight bleeding issue, it was a genuine first impressions thread. LCD panels have backlight bleeding, its a downfall of the technology. The photo is not a proper representation of how it actually looks and irl it looks just fine. Im yet to see proof of a 27"+IPS panel with no backlight issues, feel free to post a photo.

If it really bothered me i would ring Apple and get it exchanged, but i know the next one will be the same and could have other issues. I went though this whole thing with my 2008 iMac, it has much worse bleeding issues and i swapped it out 3 times looking for a better one but gave up and accepted it for what it was. I think it has more to do with the fact the iMac you have ordered will have the same issue and you will not be able to stand it, am i right lol?

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Wow 200MB/s seq read and write. Not bad for a platter drive!! Ive filled up 1.5TB now and it is running like an all SSD Mac :)

That's an excellent drive. I have one in the Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Thunderbolt disk, and I get 185MB/s read and 185MB/s write in there. It really is very quick for a spinner.

----------

You made a bad assumption there my friend, the OP was not to get people to judge the backlight bleeding issue, it was a genuine first impressions thread. LCD panels have backlight bleeding, its a downfall of the technology. The photo is not a proper representation of how it actually looks and irl it looks just fine. Im yet to see proof of a 27"+IPS panel with no backlight issues, feel free to post a photo.

If it really bothered me i would ring Apple and get it exchanged, but i know the next one will be the same and could have other issues. I went though this whole thing with my 2008 iMac, it has much worse bleeding issues and i swapped it out 3 times looking for a better one but gave up and accepted it for what it was. I think it has more to do with the fact the iMac you have ordered will have the same issue and you will not be able to stand it, am i right lol?

It cracks me up. All these people with 27" iMacs on order are going to be very disappointed if they think your backlight is "unacceptable."

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012

You're right that if the iMac I ordered (and should be receiving in the next 5 hours if UPS doesn't lie this time) has the same issue, I will not be able to stand it. I think I said that already, nothing new...
I am repeating myself, but out of my dozen LCD screens in the house, one has that issue and it drives me crazy, so no more....
I have got all generation iPhones and iMacs, a 2009 macbook pro and a 2008 iMac, I noticed bleeding on my iPad 2 when I first bought it and got it replaced right away, but other than that none of my devices has any bleeding.
You might be right that all new iMacs have that issue, I don't know, but if that's the case I have no problems admitting that it is a huge letdown.

I don't understand why you would even test the light bleeding in the first place to be honest. If you don't take it back after that amount of bleeding, I am not sure what was the point, it can't really get any worse than that... can it?

----------

It cracks me up. All these people with 27" iMacs on order are going to be very disappointed if they think your backlight is "unacceptable."

I don't see the humor in it. It's sad that people are willing to accept any defect, just because they love the brand...
I love the brand, but I plan to work on these things 12 hours a day, so yes I will be extremely disappointed if that 2012 screen (which is supposed to be fabulous based on all the reviews) can't even match the quality of my 2009 Macbook Pro!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.