Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
d_saum said:
And when I did have to call apple about the iBook issue they were EXTREMELY helpful!!!! Click that and read it! Good story! Peace!
Is Applecare in the US outsourced offshore? Or is it US based? Sadly Apple seems to have dumped all their European tech support to India. At least that's what I've had the last few times I've rung.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Is this guy extremely unlucky or what?

Short answer: * YES *

Long answer: Seven Macs, only three ever died. One was my old iBook 466.. The video RAM chip went bad (blame ATI?). Replaced free of charge. The other two were both Quantum hard drive failures on iMac G3s. Those are wear parts anyways and my Macs sit running folding at home 24/7, so I can hardly blame Apple for that.. so my luck has been vastly better than yours I would have to say.. (and even the poor iBook survived being backed over by my mom's Cadillac and stuck for a half minute or so wedged between the pavement and that hot burning exhaust pipe... yet it lived through it without a scratch or a stuck pixel!)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
caveman_uk said:
Is Applecare in the US outsourced offshore? Or is it US based? Sadly Apple seems to have dumped all their European tech support to India. At least that's what I've had the last few times I've rung.

Not having called Apple tech support, I don't know. Though I am a little surprised - it's only 3 years or so that they built the tech support centre in Cork, and moved all the European tech support there. It would seem a bit wasteful to move on so soon.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
caveman_uk said:

Actually, Im almost positive it is in the US. The first guy I spoke was named Asim, but after that it was Robert and Monika, and one other English name. and they were awesome!

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
Let's see...
Mac Plus: new power supply @ age 6, otherwise no problems
Performa 578: no problems over 5 years
PowerMac 7500/100: some software issues, but no hardware problems
iMac G3/500: dead hard drive @ age 3, otherwise no problems
iBook G3/900: Dead power adapter. Dead logic board and hard drive. Dead logic board. Dead logic board. Dead logic board, replacement issued.
iBook G4/1.2: video cut out. Video cut out (likely a video cable issue; video cable was replaced after the second time it happened, so I'm hoping it holds up for a while).
Brother's iBook G4/1.0: dead hard drive.
iMac G3/233: blown video card @ age 6.5, otherwise no problems.

Sister's PowerBook G4/1.5 15": no issues.
Sister's PowerMac G4/733: no issues, aside from the power supply or something (PMU?) needing to be reset after a power outage.

I can understand the dead hard drives, being that Apple doesn't make them. As for the rest, well, I haven't had much luck with my iBooks. :p

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
I've had problems, of course, but I've never had to send *anything* back for repairs. You sound extremely unlucky, unless there's some hidden factor here. Maybe bad power company, or bad reseller?

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
savar said:
I've had problems, of course, but I've never had to send *anything* back for repairs. You sound extremely unlucky, unless there's some hidden factor here. Maybe bad power company, or bad reseller?
I always buy direct from Apple. The only common factor is that, and that I've bought everything in the last 24 months. I have an ACD and two iPods that have had no problems!

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
caveman_uk said:

US based. I have called several times and always talked to someone with an American accent. And they have always been quite friendly. I would be really upset if they pulled a Dell and outsourced their support to India.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.