Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
It only happens when I boot up for the first time, sometimes I have to force restart twice to get it back to normal and then it's fine all day.

I've defragged my internal 6Gb drive (System folder/applications drive)

I've also defragged my other hard drive (1 partition for audio/1 for files)

I don't know how to sort this out, I've tried zapping the PRAM to see if that helps but it's like the internal hard drive is stalling when it gets to the desktop or something.

I'm running OS 9.1 with 192Mb of RAM, disk cache set to 512K and Virtual Memory disabled (required setup for running protools LE)

Can anyone help, I'm hoping it's not my internal HD going nuts because I can't really afford to replace it right now ?

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Re: My Beige G3 freezes when it gets to the desktop

Hmm,

You probably went through this already, but maybe you have conflicting extensions, or extensions that don't want to play nice. Or you might have something in your "Startup Items" that's messing up. Have you tried turning all your extensions and startup items off and restarting? If it boots and doesn't freeze it's a long process of eliminating the culprit extension/startup item.

Conflict Catcher will simplify this process, but still will take hours.

Hope this helps.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
ouch! that sucks dude....you know what though...

Sounds like its time for an upgrade. Check out General Cybernetics...see ads on this webpage...they have some really good deals. Plus the guy in charge of the sales is a mac geek and he will work with you to give you the best possible bang for your buck and your needs...I ordered a new PowerMac from him and AM SO HAPPY with the purchase...though its the dual 1.25 and isnt ready yet.

My Girlfriend got an iBook from there and she loves it! Good deal on the thing as well....definately check it out man...Its upgrade season.

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
Re: Re: My Beige G3 freezes when it gets to the desktop

Originally posted by zarathustra
Hmm,

You probably went through this already, but maybe you have conflicting extensions, or extensions that don't want to play nice. Or you might have something in your "Startup Items" that's messing up. Have you tried turning all your extensions and startup items off and restarting? If it boots and doesn't freeze it's a long process of eliminating the culprit extension/startup item.

Conflict Catcher will simplify this process, but still will take hours.

Hope this helps.

He's right. I had the same problem as you are having. I froze at the desktop 2 out of three times. I disabled all but "OS 9 all" extensions and it worked fine. Then began the process of finding the misbehaving extension.

It turned out to be the extension for my ethernet card, after much trial and error.

iN8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.