Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
As I've posted in September, I've moved to Iceland for an internship. I really like my company a lot, everyone is really nice and helpful. The only problem I had with them is that only the "business people" use Macs. I have been on Macs for three years now - and you know, once you use a Mac you start hating everything about Windows. And gosh, there is a lot to hate (multi-tasking doesn't work, drag and drop is not consistent, too many applications crash, viruses, adware, internet explorer...). Unfortunately, I have to put up with these Windows machines at work. But not for long... My boss ordered a G5 with two 23" Cinema Displays and Final Cut (what an upgrade from Discreet Edit *g*).

I love being an intern :)

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Lacero said:
It would of been cheaper to get it with one 30". :D

Yes, but then again two 23" displays means pretty much a 46" display - or maybe not. But the 30" are way too big, I wouldn't know where to stare at.

And for getting an internship here - just create an "outstanding" application (lots of ppl wanna go here) and apply to a lot of companies - but not years ahead, two to three month should be fine. I got this job applying just three weeks beforehand. Be consistent, call them up and ask about your status, so they know that you are interested in the company. And never expect that they would ever send your application back if you don't get the job.

And, by the way, "We are thinking about taking you" is Icelandic for "We just threw your application in the trash can".

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
sebisworld said:
Yes, but then again two 23" displays means pretty much a 46" display - or maybe not. But the 30" are way too big, I wouldn't know where to stare at.
A 23" Cinema HD has a resolution of 1920x1200 for a total of 2304000 pixels, so two of them have 4608000 pixels. A 30" Cinema HD has a resolution of 1560*1600 for a pixel count of 4096000.

So since the dual 23" has more pixels, won't that make it harder to figure out where to look than it would be with a single 30" display. :p

In reality, some applications work better with 2 screens with all their pallets and such and Final Cut is probably one of them. Other applications will work better with a larger single screen. One of the questions that would define which setup would work better for you, is do you need more vertical resolution or more horizontal resolution? And which way will work better for placing the windows you're working with. For some people it might not matter much wich way they go.

In anycase, have fun with it and don't freeze yourself in Iceland. :cool:

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
hehe

i never had these problems?
sounds like user error ;)

sebisworld said:
As I've posted in September, I've moved to Iceland for an internship. I really like my company a lot, everyone is really nice and helpful. The only problem I had with them is that only the "business people" use Macs. I have been on Macs for three years now - and you know, once you use a Mac you start hating everything about Windows. And gosh, there is a lot to hate (multi-tasking doesn't work, drag and drop is not consistent, too many applications crash, viruses, adware, internet explorer...). Unfortunately, I have to put up with these Windows machines at work. But not for long... My boss ordered a G5 with two 23" Cinema Displays and Final Cut (what an upgrade from Discreet Edit *g*).

I love being an intern :)

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Bear said:
A 23" Cinema HD has a resolution of 1920x1200 for a total of 2304000 pixels, so two of them have 4608000 pixels. A 30" Cinema HD has a resolution of 1560*1600 for a pixel count of 4096000.

So since the dual 23" has more pixels, won't that make it harder to figure out where to look than it would be with a single 30" display. :p:cool:

I must say that I have never used a 30" Display for a long period of time, but the one time I did use it for a little longer was literally overwhelming. It was too big. By having two screens, however many pixels they may have, I can keep things more organized. I can, for example, use the calculator on my left screen only. So I would only have 2 million pixels to search and not 4.

Just thing about having two boxes. Two boxes allow for a lot more organization than just one big one.

And, by the way, those 30" displays are enormous. Way enormous. You can put a PowerMac next to one and get that special iMac G5 feeling: "Where did the computer go?"

Code:
|                                          |
|               30" Screen                 |
|                                          |  ______
|                                          |  |PMG5|
 \________________________________________/   |____|

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
sebisworld said:
I must say that I have never used a 30" Display for a long period of time, but the one time I did use it for a little longer was literally overwhelming. It was too big. By having two screens, however many pixels they may have, I can keep things more organized. I can, for example, use the calculator on my left screen only. So I would only have 2 million pixels to search and not 4.

Just thing about having two boxes. Two boxes allow for a lot more organization than just one big one.
That is why I said it would depend on what applications you are using. With photo editing, I can get more of the photo on a 30" screen when viewing it at a 100%.

I do agree that having 2 seperate screens can help localize apps so you only have a small place to look at. Where it is a pain is when you have applications that you need to use the menu on. Those if they aren't on the screen with the menu strip make for a lot of extra mousing. So here again, it depends on what applications.

And, by the way, those 30" displays are enormous. Way enormous. You can put a PowerMac next to one and get that special iMac G5 feeling: "Where did the computer go?"
They are big, but another factor is that one large screen takes a lot less desk space than two smaller screens. Especially when talking about the 23" and 30" Cinema HD displays. The 23" is 21" wide so two of them would take about 42 inches of desk space while the 30" takes only 27". I would need to buy a new disk to use two 23" screens.

So, it just boils down to what people like, have space for, can afford and such. As well as what works for the applications the person is using.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
JesseJames said:
I MUST KNOW.
Are the Icelandic women really that hot?
Now I'm not talking Bjork; even though she is cute. Nuts but cute.

Well, if you consider San Francisco a Dell DJ, then Iceland is the iPod Photo. And no, I'm not kidding. Just remember never to stare at any of them, though. Because if you stare at one, you are going to miss all the others passing by.

I'm still hoping for a woman's soccer, badminton, or beach volleyball match between Iceland and Sweden, as well.

And in other news, I still need to find a girlfriend... :)

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
sebisworld said:
Well, if you consider San Francisco a Dell DJ, then Iceland is the iPod Photo. And no, I'm not kidding. Just remember never to stare at any of them, though. Because if you stare at one, you are going to miss all the others passing by.

I'm still hoping for a woman's soccer, badminton, or beach volleyball match between Iceland and Sweden, as well.

And in other news, I still need to find a girlfriend... :)

Holy @#$*.

Guess what my next vacation plans are going to be.
Hot geothermal springs and blonde beauties- (Homer Simpson drool).

Hey dude, if you have a digital camera please take pictures of the "scenery" there.
You can start a "Icelandic women" thread. I'll be a regular.
Along with everyone else I'm sure. :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Finland is pretty close to IceLand right? I will own a finnish wife one day.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
edesignuk said:
Come on, is that all you got edesignuk. Where is a nice picture with OW3ED on someones forehead.

I'm looking to change our computer systems at work. Only thing keeping me from doing it is I don't know if there is a LexusNexus client like we do now for Windows, QBTimer for Quickbooks, an Access Database (which I could move to FileMaker), and a good Exchange Client (even though I do want to get rid of Exchange since the public folders, that only has contacts, has been a pain in my ass. Rather setup an iDisk with all 10 computers connected to share contacts though the address book and word documents.)

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Lacero said:
It would of been cheaper to get it with one 30". :D

IMNSHO: 2x 23" is far more useful for editing than 1x 30". 1x 30" is good for compositing though - cause you can see the entire 2K frame and still have access to your node-flow.

Personally, I'd consider 2x20" + 1x23" for the money. Use the 23" as a HD display with HDLink and use the 2x20" as my working area.

Stu.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
varmit said:
Come on, is that all you got edesignuk. Where is a nice picture with OW3ED on someones forehead

He is too busy calling his travel agent. :p

The different monitors depends on what you are doing. Me? I'd go with two 30" displays...

But really, that's neat. To show up to work and have your boss order a brand new G5 with dual monitors? That's service. :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
sebisworld said:

Well I know lots of Swedish girls. Not bad.

Are Icelandic people generally blonde, or do they have darker hair. Sorry, my only reference is Björk, and she's not even sane. :p

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Lacero said:
Finland is pretty close to IceLand right? I will own a finnish wife one day.

Well, Finland is bordering Russia and thus it could be pretty unicelandic (have never been here, but heard that it's real nice nonetheless). The thing with the closeness to Russia, though - well, I've talked to a few Russians about their lives and I, in fact, have gotten the conception that they own their wives over there. A friend of mine is from Russia and he not only treats and talks about his mother like he owns her, but he also treats his sister like a slave (he makes a list of things she has to do for him) and sees absolutely no problem with it - and neither do they. When you say something negative about some Russians wife, though, they get mad at you. Not the kind of "sorry, that remark was unnecessary"-mad, but the violent kind. Weird. I guess it's called culture.

By the way, I love Russia. Some of the greatest website are hosted there. *g*

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Abstract said:
Well I know lots of Swedish girls. Not bad.

Are Icelandic people generally blonde, or do they have darker hair. Sorry, my only reference is Björk, and she's not even sane. :p

Well, there are a lot more blonde beauties than in any other place I have ever been to. But there is also a lot of "good stuff" with dark hair, so Sweden might still top it. What all Icelandic women have in common though is their high cheek bones, I guess all that incest finally paid off.

But then again, this is the "General Apple and Tech Discussion" board...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.