Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
hi all

my sony g500 21" crt monitor is on its way out and im just starting to investigate what i should get next... i was thinking of moving to a tft monitor to save space (the sony i have now is HUGE)... but the apple displays are very expensive and there are 100's of other makes and models out there and much cheaper...

should i be saving up and getting the apple display? (i was thinking the 20") or should i be looking elsewhere for something just as good but half the price? (ive been hearing that the dell's are as good)...

thanks for the help......

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
i am with mad_jew, get a dell. if you search around the forums you can find the one that uses that same lcd as the apple one's.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
I'd recommend looking at the Dell's as well. Everyone around here seems to agree they are a better value.

wob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
KittenKrusher said:
I'd recommend looking at the Dell's as well. Everyone around here seems to agree they are a better value.

i was just checking out the dell 20" lcd prices on the dell uk website and its selling at just over £400 so not that much cheaper really.. i was hoping for the £200-£300 mark.. or am i underestimating how much these things cost?

i have a standard shape crt monitor now so maybe its the widescreen thing that's knocking the price up... any comments on standard size dell lcd monitors? or any other brands that folks favour?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Well my 19" monitor was like $400 bucks...

so a 20" should be like $600, 700 at least

and a 24" is over $1,000

MacPassion

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
OZ
i know someone getting rid of a 19'' TFT Dell just to get a 20'' Cinema display...still using a Dell PC tho....

wob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
it seems like i might as well get the apple 20" cinema display.. the fully price is only £150 more than the dell and im holding out for a sale or a bargain anyway so i should be able to get it down to the same price as the dell...

unless...
sombody has reccomendations for non widescreen 19" - 21" lcd's? im just after replacing my 21" crt monster so widescreen or not is fine with me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.