Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Reading the various threads on the Air, it has become obvious that there are a handful of individuals that have become compulsive Air haters.

Maybe a few are. It's also apparent there are a number of hopeless fanboys who can't bear to read anything critical about an Apple product. You would appear to be one of them.

But for you folks that don't own one, yes you have the right to post here, but I have the right to post that you are becoming fairly tiresome and irrelevant, at least to me personally.

You know some would call that trolling. If you don't have anything to add other than "Waa! waa! waa! I don't like it when people criticise Apple!" then just don't read the threads. You're not being forced to at gunpoint are you?

Most people actually like to know the good, the bad and the ugly about a product before they lash out substantial amounts of cash on it. If some people aren't happy I want to know why.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
If some people aren't happy I want to know why.

I do too. Unfortunately most of the negative posts are from people who don't own it, and most haven't even held it. Someone giving their negative impressions isn't a problem at all. It's when they post those negative impressions in every other thread, and then feel they need to come back day after day to let everyone know that they still don't like it, that it becomes ridiculous.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Most people actually like to know the good, the bad and the ugly about a product before they lash out substantial amounts of cash on it. If some people aren't happy I want to know why.

No harm in getting to know all of the angles before purchasing something as expensive as a MBA. I think it is safe to say that as someone who owns a MBA it is getting annoying when people who don't have a clue about the MBA, much less own one, are exposing their expert opinions about the failings of the machine. As owners I think we are aware of the positive and negatives of the MBA. If someone is having problems with their machine then I would be the first to say ask (search first) for help or suggestions. We want to know what people are experiencing good or bad. People popping off that the MBA is a piece of junk because of X, Y, Z was annoying the first few times. When people say it now they just look like stupid trolls.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
No harm in getting to know all of the angles before purchasing something as expensive as a MBA. I think it is safe to say that as someone who owns a MBA it is getting annoying when people who don't have a clue about the MBA, much less own one, are exposing their expert opinions about the failings of the machine. As owners I think we are aware of the positive and negatives of the MBA. If someone is having problems with their machine then I would be the first to say ask (search first) for help or suggestions. We want to know what people are experiencing good or bad. People popping off that the MBA is a piece of junk because of X, Y, Z was annoying the first few times. When people say it now they just look like stupid trolls.

I think most of the people that comment that don't own one are going off the specs. That basically means its just not a machine for them. I haven't posted anything negative, but this machines specs aren't for me. I just think some people state it in a non-pleasant way. However they are entitled...

Honestly, once the hype about the Air settles down it will all stop. Once (if) the announce new MBPs (and whatever else SJ has up his sleeve) the attacks will start on that..

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Well put!!

I do too. Unfortunately most of the negative posts are from people who don't own it, and most haven't even held it. Someone giving their negative impressions isn't a problem at all. It's when they post those negative impressions in every other thread, and then feel they need to come back day after day to let everyone know that they still don't like it, that it becomes ridiculous.

I agree 100%

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008

Agree. I'm interested in what people who have actually used one for, say, a week at least have to say about functionality. Being honest, at the moment I don't see it as the machine for me but you never know...

kanon14

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Agree. I'm interested in what people who have actually used one for, say, a week at least have to say about functionality. Being honest, at the moment I don't see it as the machine for me but you never know...

I bring it to work, I bring it to class and I take it almost everywhere I go to now. Before when I was using the Macbook I'd only leave that at work because it's kinda heavy if I have to carry it *all* *the* *time*. The performance is on par with my Black Macbook, and even better, the startup time and applications load time is better.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida

I agree with this 100% - but the issue many have (I believe) is when negative comments are made by non-owners who seem to be missing the facts.

Oh sure, there are some fanbois who will say anything to give a positive spin (the whole 'most wireless ever' concept comes to mind) but others are contradicting the facts of the system.

I own one. I worried it would be underpowered. It's not, it's easily as powerful as my first-gen MBP, and then some. It handles everything I need to do. I wish it had one more USB port. And I wish it recharged a bit faster.

In general though, it's a great machine. As with any ultraportable (and subjectively I consider this to be so after carrying it with me for two weeks) there are a few compromises. IMHO they are less in the MBA than with others. It's not for everyone, but I believe the market is broader than people think.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I agree with this 100% - but the issue many have (I believe) is when negative comments are made by non-owners who seem to be missing the facts.

Oh sure, there are some fanbois who will say anything to give a positive spin (the whole 'most wireless ever' concept comes to mind) but others are contradicting the facts of the system.

I own one. I worried it would be underpowered. It's not, it's easily as powerful as my first-gen MBP, and then some. It handles everything I need to do. I wish it had one more USB port. And I wish it recharged a bit faster.

In general though, it's a great machine. As with any ultraportable (and subjectively I consider this to be so after carrying it with me for two weeks) there are a few compromises. IMHO they are less in the MBA than with others. It's not for everyone, but I believe the market is broader than people think.

I do not undertand why you need to be a an owner to have the right to critise a product, if anything you find yourself defensive of your choice. Everyone has the right to question a product, owner or not.

I for one own a 12" model and the Air is step backwards for me. I would have loved a 12" powerbook pro to have come out. I still consider the last 12" as the best powerbook made, brilliant.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

So your running Winxp in a VM session, so you can run office to do your job......jump on e-mail, update project and play with visio...

In my last job i was an architect, you do not need a powerful computer to accomplish your task, most laptops will suffice. But an AIR goes well with the suit and professional look i guess.

When you can prove that your AIR can be used as a development machine running visio studio in a VM then i will be impressed. Running office....not a big feat there. Though it is not made for that.

I will though say one thing, i worked for the Goverment in Australia on a few big projects. And something like the AIR would be worthless as a business tool. And that is because of its main selling point, all wireless. Alot of organisations (goverment or banking etc, Barclay laptops do not even come with WIFI for that reason) will not allow you to connect to thier WIFI, most actually do not run internal WIFI due to the security implications.

So it might actually suit your needs, but the AIR is not made for the professional IT consultant, as long as you want to use it for basic tasks and a fancy presentation machine that will allow you to update project plans, work with visio and send and recieve emails within a workplace that always has wifi....all good. Most places you will struggle to join the internal WIFI if there is one.

cedar

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Maybe a few are. It's also apparent there are a number of hopeless fanboys who can't bear to read anything critical about an Apple product. You would appear to be one of them.

You know some would call that trolling. If you don't have anything to add other than "Waa! waa! waa! I don't like it when people criticise Apple!" then just don't read the threads. You're not being forced to at gunpoint are you?

Actually I don't think I would qualify as a "fanboy", whatever that might be, since this is my first Apple product. When I make a decision to buy a product, I usually rely on reviews by actual users of the product. I actually put more stock in such reviews than those of professional reviewers who maybe use one for a couple of days. I put little weight on the opinions of people who don't even own the product, and whose total experience with the item is maybe pecking on it for five minutes in a store, and who engage in constant harping on something they don't know a damn thing about. But that's just me and I know everyone has their own methodology, which might include the opinions of bystanders.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
cedar, I understand that - I'm quite capable of doing my own five minute analysis without the need for anyone else to butt in. Like I said, I'm interested in the experience of those who actually own one.

cedar

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
cedar, I understand that - I'm quite capable of doing my own five minute analysis without the need for anyone else to butt in. Like I said, I'm interested in the experience of those who actually own one.

Ok. I do own one, the entry-level model, and I do like it so far, very much so. Of course I'm not a heavy-duty user and so my opinion would not be of much use to someone who is. But it fits my needs. I had to use my daughter's PC for three weeks while my old computer was down, and after my experience with her Vista OS........ enough said.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Ok. I do own one, the entry-level model, and I do like it so far, very much so. Of course I'm not a heavy-duty user and so my opinion would not be of much use to someone who is. But it fits my needs. I had to use my daughter's PC for three weeks while my old computer was down, and after my experience with her Vista OS........ enough said.

May i ask, is it just Vista that puts you off PCs?

cedar

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
May i ask, is it just Vista that puts you off PCs?

Yes, mainly. My old PC was XP and I liked it. But I did want something lighter and more portable than my old machine, and I had heard good things about Apple computers and it's operating system, so I sprung for an Air. No regrets so far.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yes, mainly. My old PC was XP and I liked it. But I did want something lighter and more portable than my old machine, and I had heard good things about Apple computers and it's operating system, so I sprung for an Air. No regrets so far.

Understandable. I use my mac for day to day tasks, especially when I want to surf the net. Spyware etc really annoys me on PCs.

lewisozz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
I Couldn't Hold On !!!!!

I went in to the apple store in glasgow and i was thinking of getting a macbook pro but then i saw the macbook air.LOVE AT FIRST SITE !!!! i went over and i gasped!!!!.Compared to the MBA the MBP look like a FAT OVERPOWER HEAVY UGLY COMPUTER !!!!! I had a look at both model and decided to the 1.8 SSD because i travel alot and the SSD was worth the extra money to me. I had to replace my HD on my macbook twice :( Any way new mbp are coming out soon so i didnt want to buy one then a new one with new features to come out 2 weeks later.so i am typing this on my mba.so i am now the proud owner of mba 1.8 SSD !!!!!

MACBOOK AIR (HOT STUNNING PERSON)=======MACBOOK PRO (FAT UGLY PERSON)

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
I went in to the apple store in glasgow and i was thinking of getting a macbook pro but then i saw the macbook air.LOVE AT FIRST SITE !!!! i went over and i gasped!!!!.Compared to the MBA the MBP look like a FAT OVERPOWER HEAVY UGLY COMPUTER !!!!! I had a look at both model and decided to the 1.8 SSD because i travel alot and the SSD was worth the extra money to me. I had to replace my HD on my macbook twice :( Any way new mbp are coming out soon so i didnt want to buy one then a new one with new features to come out 2 weeks later.so i am typing this on my mba.so i am now the proud owner of mba 1.8 SSD !!!!!

MACBOOK AIR (HOT STUNNING PERSON)=======MACBOOK PRO (FAT UGLY PERSON)

uh, thanks for the update...

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Notice how the Air Haters think they can say whatever the **** they want and then call everyone else who likes the Air either "suckers", "idiots", or "fanboys"? And then when people who like the Air tell them to **** off, the Air Haters say they have the right to post their opinion, of which nobody gives a flying frog **** about? I post in about 4 forums and it's the same thing everywhere. It gets tiresome.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Notice how the Air Haters think they can say whatever the **** they want and then call everyone else who likes the Air either "suckers", "idiots", or "fanboys"? And then when people who like the Air tell them to **** off, the Air Haters say they have the right to post their opinion, of which nobody gives a flying frog **** about? I post in about 4 forums and it's the same thing everywhere. It gets tiresome.

Its a freakin forum! Until you comprehend that concept....move along or harden up. If you want people tell you how freaking great the AIR is, go to http://www.google.com and look up Macbook AIR fan site....otherwise deal with the fact that some people love it and some hate it. For every annoying AIR hater, there is a just an annoying AIR lover!

Don't like the negative feedback....don't read it!!!

And BTW I have never, ever....seen mac fanboys slamming Vista, give and take. /sarcasm off. I have slammed both PC and Apple products.

In the end its a personal opinion. Noone in this thread has called someone an idiot or sucker for getting the AIR, they have raised issues and personal opinions, its actually the AIR lovers that have been arrogant and rude in the reponces....abusing the people who dare question the new MBA. Anger management course maybe???

lewisozz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
United Kingdom
Tell Me You Dont Want One !!!!

Look how lovely it looks .TELL ME YOU DONT WANT ONE MBA HATERS !!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    541 KB · Views: 62
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.