Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
i just inserted a cd into my drive (CD-RW/DVD) on my iBook G4, and the sounds it made were awful! It sounded like the drive was shreding my disk! i press eject immdiatlry and after around 10-15 seconds out popped my cd. i am really worried if my cd drive is bust 'cos this is a new machine and i dont want there to be problems with it already! does anyone know what could be wrong?

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
edesignuk said:
Silly question...but have you tried another CD? Some CD's aren't perfectly round, and when they spin can make a horrid noise :eek:

yeah i just tried that actually and it sounded and worked fine.
i think the problem may be thats its a city from the city library, and has 2 thin metal strips across the top of the disk, possibly thats why. but i have inserted cds with these strips before and not had the same effect. :confused:

stoid

macrumors 601
john_satc said:
yeah i just tried that actually and it sounded and worked fine.
i think the problem may be thats its a city from the city library, and has 2 thin metal strips across the top of the disk, possibly thats why. but i have inserted cds with these strips before and not had the same effect. :confused:

Yeah, I checked out some of the Hitchhiker's Guide books from my local library, put them into iTunes for my iPod. They too had the thin metal strips you mention, and it worried me too how loud it got. I also noticed that some of the discs (with metal strips) didn't make any noise. I wouldn't worry about it though, I made it through all the discs just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.