Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Well that's it for my 1.0 GHz USB 2.0 eMac. Since it would be costly to repair it, I thought maybe I would buy one of these to replace it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-eMac-2005...ewItemQQptZApple_Desktops?hash=item414b4747b1

It's much faster, has a bigger hard drive and a SuperDrive already included, AND even includes a keyboard and mouse! (Currently I used a black Apple Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse from the old iMac G3 with it.) And it's price even seems lower than buying a replacement logic board for my old eMac.

However, I also took the opportunity to salvage a few parts from my old eMac. I took out the hard drive, the 1 GB RAM module I bought for it, the SuperDrive I installed and the Airport Extreme card. As for the rest of the machine, since I can't throw it away (I want to help the environment this way), I might either keep it for spare non-logic board parts for the new one, or I may sell it on eBay listed as "FOR PARTS" or "BAD LOGIC BOARD," as I have seen these kind of Macs listed on eBay, and usually techies or computer wizards buy them to perform repairs on or use parts for an existing broken computer, and they usually range for like $30-$50, versus the price of a functioning model.

Any comments/opinions?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
for that price grab the eMac 1.42 i use it myself and i`m happier about it them most iMac 27 owners
the 1.42 eMac does not suffer the bad cap issue (your psu very likely failed because of the bad caps )

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
for that price grab the eMac 1.42 i use it myself and i`m happier about it them most iMac 27 owners
the 1.42 eMac does not suffer the bad cap issue (your psu very likely failed because of the bad caps )

I think I will! Now that I have a job I'll be able to afford that machine. Plus I could also reuse my 1 GB RAM module and my Airport Extreme Wi-Fi card in the new eMac

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
and the harddrive ,take it out put it in a usb or firewire enclosure and use it external , it might not be big, but you never know when it comes handy and you would have all the data from the old one on it already

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
and the harddrive ,take it out put it in a usb or firewire enclosure and use it external , it might not be big, but you never know when it comes handy and you would have all the data from the old one on it already

That's what I plan to do with the hard drive! I already took it out, but the USB enclosure is at my dad's office, and he has the week off so it could be a while (by then I'll probably have already ordered my eMac)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.