Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Just found out from a friend of mine (who I have been coaching for a couple of months on a possible switch) that he ordered his PowerBook last night.

Do I get a toaster or something? :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
iGary said:
Just found out from a friend of mine (who I have been coaching for a couple of months on a possible switch) that he ordered his PowerBook last night.

Do I get a toaster or something? :D

BRAVOOOOO (with british accent and steady golf clap), BRAVOOOOOOOOOOOO, BRAVOOOOOOOO.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Thanks, stubeeef.

It's actually kind of a nice feeling.

Most people I try to introduce to Mac are of the "Macs r stoopit" mindset, and very difficult to make appreciate a different way.

Just nice to get someone to see the light. Hope he likes it.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
more and more of my friends are coming around... i think i've gotten about 3 or 4 people to buy macs. not counting the people that they then convert. its a great pyramid scheme ;) :p :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I've switched a couple of people, the thing is, it is a little like adoption. You now have a family member (that's the good news), while they are potty trained, they will have a bunch of questions as they explore their new world, and you are their new daddy. Congrats Daddy!

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
iGary said:
Most people I try to introduce to Mac are of the "Macs r stoopit" mindset, and very difficult to make appreciate a different way.

Unfortuntely *most* people are pretty close-minded and prefer the status quo with all of its associated headaches.

A perfect example is when I tell them that there are NO viruses for the Mac, they look at me with utter disbelief and say, "Yeah right!!!" Needless to say, as much as they hate viruses destroying their computers, they won't even make any effort to find out if it's true or investigate the matter further.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
congrats on switching (er getting someone to switch). you should have your friend, and our new friend, say hi in the forum!!!

ive found the best way to get people to switch is to get them when they are young before they think 'macs r stoopit.' every little middle schooler thinks iPods are awsome. you just have to convince them to whine to their parents enough to get a mac to go with thier iPods and then as they grow older they stay with mac b/c they know how good macs are. not to mention their parents can then see how good they are. and with the mini there is no excuse to NOT get a mac. people pay that much for a iPod so why not for a mac mini?!

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
I tried to get a friend of mine to get a mac. I let her mess around with my ibook for a while. She liked it, but she ended up with a Dell laptop. Afraid of change. Still on the mindset that there are compatability issues with a mainly PC society. Silly girl.

She now tries to hide her regret, but she's jealous of even my 2+ year old ibook, and I joke her about her decision to get the Dell everytime I see it.

Is that wrong ;)

EDIT: a lot of the computer lab areas around campus (Va Tech) use older Macs (though still OS X). The frustration that people incurr while trying to get work done on an unfamiliar system usually makes them despise macs. It's really sad. If they'd just give it a chance, when they're not trying to get work done on a deadline, I think they'd really enjoy it. :(

Applespider

macrumors G4
Bizarre - as I read this thread, my aunt called to ask me what options/stuff she was getting for the iBook I encouraged my cousin to request over Christmas (parents had already agreed to a laptop)

This marks the second time I've switched my aunt. The first time she got an old Performa 5200 (I discovered at Christmas that it still sits in a corner of the kids playroom covered in dust!). She wasn't a fan since she saw the bomb regularly and eventually ended up replacing it a few years later with a Tiny POS PC which she still has although its spyware/virus/slowness problems are driving her nuts and she's looking to upgrade.

Let's hope the iBook helps her decide that an iMac will be a good match for the home too.

dr bognus

macrumors newbie
our school uses macs and some ppl hate tham cos thay are imac G3s with a screwed up version of os9 and are useless without the network... However we are getting emacs and ppl think they are good but they havent migrated to the houses so we still have to use imacs. However from the origional 2 mac users in our house we now have 8 and one who nearly switched...

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
hey congrats! it just feels so good when you convert someone from the dark side :p. it really is like a pyramid scheme. i was introduced to the macworld by a friend a year ago and have since converted 3 others, 2 of whom have since made their friends get a mac :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.