Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
So, I just purchased a iMac 17" back in January of this year(if I held out alittle longer i could gotten the 1gHz model, BASTARDS! :mad: :D ) So far I love it and have had nothing but praise for my iMac. I use my iMac to do all my Graphic Design work, some web work, light video work and ofcourse Gaming. I am already thinking of my next Mac purchase in the future. If would ofcourse replace my current iMac and probably won't happen for another year, maaaaaaaybe two. The thoughts I have is whether or not to buy a tower or laptop.

What do you guys think? Is the future moving in the direction of just Laptops or are towers alway going to be ahead of the curve as far as power/speed?

The expandablitly is apparent in the tower but with better and better technology, Laptops don't seem to need expandabilty for the most part. Or do they? If so, should that be a big issue that should be address in future PB models?

Thanks for the ear.

~e

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Lots of people -- and even some companies -- are going laptop-only as of late. It's a truism that desktop systems will outpace portables in speed/power for the foreseeable future, but this is just a reminder to the buyers to try to really figure out what they need in a computer. I always suggest trying to buy something that will be good for not only your next project, but the one after that too (if you think that far ahead).

The expandability issue is really a dead letter now. With FW and USB being chain-able and pretty darn quick, the huge benefit of lots of internal bays has somewhat faded. As long as your portable has a good I/O array, you should be fine. After all, you're not likely to want to have access to 200+ GB of storage on the go (or are you?!), so a FW400/800 external solves most storage issues. Besides, who wants a laptop with a current technology 200GB HD? Not too portable after all.

I've found having a portable option to be great -- but if you can wait, maybe that PB G5 is your next purchase....

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Consider your needs

Do you need mobility or are you fine with working inside all day.

I've been working on a Desktop for 4 years and i hate being trapped in one room all day. My next update will be a laptop.

You probably already know this, but i'll say it anyway

As far as expandiblity, Just about everything now is Firewire or USB

- you have FW 800 and USB 2.0 accross the 15 and 17 laptops, if your plan on being very mobile with the work that you do, the 12 inch is probably a little to small as far as resulution to satisfy your graphics and video work, and offcourse your gaming.

- The 15 inch and the 17 inch have PC card slots, so when there is a new technology you need you'll be able to expand using that. Also if you need PCI slots, magma.com offers a PC Card to PCI conversion package, these are a little expensive but if you need them, it is probably worth it.

- All the laptops come with DVI out so you can connect to a larger monitor if you need the realesated. Larger Hardddrives are easily attachable using Firewire.

- the current laptops are expandable to 2 gigs, and if you wait 1 or 2 years you'll probably be able to get a G5 laptop, so who knows what you'll be able to expand to.

- you have 802.11 and bluetooth and Gigabit ethernet all on board

you never know what you might get in the amount of time your waiting.

But the thing to remember is that unless your oppsession is having the most powerfull machine, any computer will do what you want... People use to use G3's for all the things you mentioned doing, and when they came out everybody raived how powerfull they are, and how much they can do, and people produced great projects...

I don't think you'll suffer to much if you go with a laptops who's specs are less then a desktop. aspecially when the benifits of mobility are very important to you

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Its' funny but most of the people that I've been talking too have been saying the same thing. They want the freedom of mobility, without sacraficing performance. Many people have been thinking of going laptop as of late. I mean, unless you're doing Pixar type animation/rendering or even some hardcore video production, the laptop might see the way to go. If you got the cash a dual Tower and Laptop system would be ideal as see in the new MacAddict. I'm curious to see if they actually get a G5 version of a PB out. Hmmm.......decisions....decisions....... :rolleyes:

~e

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Might not happen tomorrow but it will happen

they said that the G4 would never be a laptop, and it took 2 years for it to happen.

If you doing "serious Video" ( whatever that means) work, your probably not working alone. so you'll have multiple systems dedicated to various aspects, editing, compositing, audio

and you can afford to have many systems like that

if your doing short films, or even documentary work, a laptop will suit you just fine

i do wedding video work personally - freelance with school, and i can't see laptop not satsfing my needs.... i use a g4 400 320 ram and i still get all the work i need done on it...

i also do shorts for fun with my friends, and i plan on entering some contests in the next year or so, and i don't see myself needing a more powerfull system,

go with the laptop in my opinion, but if your not buring to have a new computer yet, wait and see for a possible G5, you'll have all the new technology, ready for next generation software.

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
i use apple shake, commotion, combustion, boris red and after effects for compositing and special effects video production as well as DVD authoring. I am currently running a new 1.25ghz powerbook with external drives and the only downfall to my system is the low RAM installed. aple overcharges for memory so i have held off buying extra RAM when purchasing the unit(kinking myself in the a$$). It will be much more affordable in the next few months but right now it is thorn in my side for heavy rendering.

basically - unless you are a 3d designer or working primarily with shake then get a PB - you won't be disappointed.

p.s. - extra RAM is the key to life

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by advres
i use apple shake, commotion, combustion, boris red and after effects for compositing and special effects video production as well as DVD authoring. I am currently running a new 1.25ghz powerbook with external drives and the only downfall to my system is the low RAM installed. aple overcharges for memory so i have held off buying extra RAM when purchasing the unit(kinking myself in the a$$). It will be much more affordable in the next few months but right now it is thorn in my side for heavy rendering.

basically - unless you are a 3d designer or working primarily with shake then get a PB - you won't be disappointed.

p.s. - extra RAM is the key to life

Have you tried buying your RAM from a places like Cruical.com? These place charge WAY less then Apple. Memory is like gold. The price fluctuate in the memory world. The problem with Apple is that they buy the memory at the price it is at the time and then they are stuck with selling it at a certain price. So they always seem expensive.

~e

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
actually apple has a few benfits with its memory pricing structure:

*you get mac compatible RAM guarenteed
*you always know what the price is going to be
*you can have the manufacturer install it for you before you get your machines back
*there is no confusion in what type to get

NOW - as the owner of two powermacs, an emac and a pc i know that RAM is RAM is RAM and unless its brand X its RAM. I didnt buy any extra apple RAM. BUT there are people (10yr old girls w/iBooks) who don't know about RAM, or to them - memory. They go the apple place and say - can you please put some more RAM in it please. Apple provides for them - they know they cant compete with crucial and the like.

Although - in AUS, i havent seen DDR400 RAM (for 1.8/DP2.0 G5) cheaper than Apple's own offering (WOW!!!!!!!).

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
smalldog has some pretty cheap RAM. i found going to DealRAM is another good place for many RAM options but couldn't find the RAM for my powerbook. i did find in on smalldag though.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I have the same iMac and I'm getting an Al15 Pb. It'll be quicker at most things and I can still use all my peripherals (FW HD, etc). Also had an iBook 500, but I just didn't use it unless I had to. Now I'll be happier to work away from my desk.

Good luck with your choice.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Something I just didn't think about is your other half/family. Now, if you're married or have a family. The PB might not be the right choice unless it's in addition to something that is stationary. If I get a PB I would like to take it with me from time to time on the road, because that's the whole point BUT if you've got a family that uses the computer as well, that's just not possible. Whoa!....now we're talking two systems. Damn.....I need a third job. Wait!....I'm not married yet. Whew!....ok..ok....but I'm sure it'll happen soon so I better start thinking.........

~e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.