Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alangyssler

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
okay, so i got my computer back to my apartment at school, with my new 7 port usb 2.0 hub, and internal usb 2.0 card, and hooked up all my periphs through the card or the hub, except for the keyboard. now when i try to turn on my computer, the light goes on, and dies down. push it again, same thing. give it a third push, and the computer starts up. i know there's no engine priming on a computer (like a lawnmower), so what gives?!? i'm assuming it has to do with the way all my periphs are hooked up. can anyone tell me if there's some things that have to be plugged into the g4's original usb ports that are on the mobo?

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
alangyssler said:
okay, so i got my computer back to my apartment at school, with my new 7 port usb 2.0 hub, and internal usb 2.0 card, and hooked up all my periphs through the card or the hub, except for the keyboard. now when i try to turn on my computer, the light goes on, and dies down. push it again, same thing. give it a third push, and the computer starts up. i know there's no engine priming on a computer (like a lawnmower), so what gives?!? i'm assuming it has to do with the way all my periphs are hooked up. can anyone tell me if there's some things that have to be plugged into the g4's original usb ports that are on the mobo?

Well, my first question would be if the USB hub comes with its own powersource or if it draws off the computer's power to work.

Then, have you tried just removing everything that you've hooked up and then seeing if the computer will start? Does it start? I assume by your info this is a desktop you're talking about?

Otherwise, another thought, seeing as you've recently moved the computer, is there any way that an important bit of the insides has come loose at all during the move? Further, are you sure that the wall plug you've used is generating power?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.