Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Brave is the most secure browser currently available for use. It’s also one of the fastest, especially on iOS.

That's the worst example. All third party browsers on iPadOS/iOS are gimped reskins of Safari WebKit engine.

For example, Chrome, Edge and Brave use Blink engine. Firefox uses Gecko engine while Safari uses WebKit engine on any other OS where they're available like Android, Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc. except for restrictive iPadOS/iOS. Just look at your user agent with all those browsers on different OS'.

https://www.whatsmyua.info/

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Brave breaks Cloudflare sites. Try to use Google. it blacklists and says you've exceeded search query limit or something. Many sites break. Same issue with Tor. I wish Cloudflare would well, flare up in a ball of flames and die already.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Brave breaks Cloudflare sites. Try to use Google. it blacklists and says you've exceeded search query limit or something. Many sites break. Same issue with Tor. I wish Cloudflare would well, flare up in a ball of flames and die already.
So Microsoft's bid to become more relevant in the browser business is mostly "We want our share of exploiting our customer's data"?

Reactions: Jemani

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I use two browsers on my Mac. Safari for personal stuff and Edge for work. My job uses Google Workspace so having a chromium based browser makes separating work from home easier.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
So Microsoft's bid to become more relevant in the browser business is mostly "We want our share of exploiting our customer's data"?
What does that have to do with my issues regarding Tor or Brave breaking sites relying on crappy Cloudflare?

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

What? Many forums that I frequent use Cloudflare and they work fine. I’ve never had an issue. I use Brave on iOS because it blocks ALL advertisements in the very best way, and I never experience issues with websites displaying incorrectly. It’s pretty much flawless in my experience…

• Love
Reactions: Jemani

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
That's the worst example. All third party browsers on iPadOS/iOS are gimped reskins of Safari WebKit engine.

For example, Chrome, Edge and Brave use Blink engine. Firefox uses Gecko engine while Safari uses WebKit engine on any other OS where they're available like Android, Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc. except for restrictive iPadOS/iOS. Just look at your user agent with all those browsers on different OS'.

https://www.whatsmyua.info/

The underlying engines might be Safari WebKit but browsers can behave differently even using the same code. Brave is faster, websites load faster because ALL advertisements are blocked and websites instantly convert to HTTPS etc.

Because of my job I am bound to constantly needing to browse over my phone and I haven’t found a faster alternative. In my experience Edge is the next-best after Brave, then Opera, then Safari/Firefox at the end.

A68ACD6D-9219-4A1E-BB73-4A03AC0E3107.jpeg

bohemian

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2021
With Edge, Microsoft is forcing users to view & visit MSN. No option to turn off news section on iOS app is weird. Havent tried Edge on macOS

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
With Edge, Microsoft is forcing users to view & visit MSN. No option to turn off news section on iOS app is weird. Havent tried Edge on macOS

You can disable this. On the top right of the browser, click the hamburger menu (three lines) and where it says “page layout”, click on “custom” and then switch off “show feeds” and the news section(s) will disappear.

FF84C936-505B-4B08-8BC8-BD0FDF1BF282.jpeg

Reactions: srbNYC

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
It seems many here seem to have a short memory or haven’t seen the news. Unless something has changed recently, Edge is one of the most privacy invasive browsers.

“From a privacy perspective Microsoft Edge and Yandex are much more worrisome than the other browsers studied. Both send identifiers that are linked to the device hardware and so persist across fresh browser installs and can also be used to link different apps running on the same device. Edge sends the hardware UUID of the device to Microsoft, a strong and enduring identifier than cannot be easily changed or deleted.”

bohemian

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2021
You can disable this. On the top right of the browser, click the hamburger menu (three lines) and where it says “page layout”, click on “custom” and then switch off “show feeds” and the news section(s) will disappear.

View attachment 1816129
Wow. I’ve been struggling with this. Thanks. Looks much cleaner. No need to keep chrome for sites not compatible with safari

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
I like Edge for macOS due to chromium basis and uBlock Origin available on it.
But on iOS/iPadOS safari is way better than Edge.

I'm wondering if there are a good chromium browser on macOS than we could use together with the iOS one.
Using a lot "read it later" tools, so better having the same browser on both

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
I don't trust Microsoft with my data. I haven't been able to find anywhere what data Microsoft collects from my browsing so I won't be using Edge until they put in an option in settings that turns off sending data to Microsoft completely.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I use Safari mostly but Edge has become my work browser of choice. If Safari ever offered browser profiles there would be little reason to use anything else.

just curious, what are y’all doing that doesnt work with Safari?

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
I use Safari mostly but Edge has become my work browser of choice. If Safari ever offered browser profiles there would be little reason to use anything else.

Chrome extension ?
I have nearly no problems for websites while using Safari

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

I don't surf naked without uBlock Origin which is free while the paid/subscription options on Safari are kind of garbage. There are also other useful extensions like Twitch adblocker, anti-fingerprint randomizer for privacy, etc.

Safari on MBA M1 is a memory hog if you watch YouTube since it uses ~1GB RAM for caching so bad on 8GB devices. Chrome caches to storage while Edge seems to be best off since it doesn't appear to cache to storage nor RAM.

Not all sites work properly on Safari.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I haven't found a single site that doesn't work on Safari. If you have found such a site, then disable cross site cookies blocking.
I would love to have Ublock Origin, but AdGuard works really well and makes surfing with Safari a joy, even on a M1 Mac.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2021
I love edge on iPhone and Mac. It's the best browser out there for me because I use both Mac and Windows. It's very easy to swap between both OS. I also love the vertical tabs. After trying it out, I don't think I can ever go back to regular tabs. Downside include, as others mentioned, no native integration with MacOS. It's a bit of a drag to copy a URL and paste into messages to send an article to friends/family. I also wished that Edge prompted for a password to use the Passwords. I like how Safari asks for that. I hope Microsoft can address those issues.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
What? Many forums that I frequent use Cloudflare and they work fine. I’ve never had an issue. I use Brave on iOS because it blocks ALL advertisements in the very best way, and I never experience issues with websites displaying incorrectly. It’s pretty much flawless in my experience…
Every time I attempted to use either Brave or Tor to access sites relying on Cloudflare, I get blocked, either via Captcha which I can't decipher or it saying 'we've noticed strange network activity' blah blah blah.

Especially attempting a Google search. You get one search perhaps before it thinks the network activity is 'strange' or 'unusual'. Made using Tor or Brave pointless. If all extra Privacy does is blacklist me from using the Internet, it's of no use to me. I'd rather take my risks.

I hope Cloudflare dies a painful death. I can't stand them. Denial of service for trying to keep privacy, a human right, is unethical. They deserve whatever bad fate they get. They have no right to deny access to a public service just because I value my privacy. Any site who's admin relies on Cloudflare, their admins ought to be fired.

Unusual-Traffic-from-your-Computer-Network.png

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Every time I attempted to use either Brave or Tor to access sites relying on Cloudflare, I get blocked, either via Captcha which I can't decipher or it saying 'we've noticed strange network activity' blah blah blah.

Especially attempting a Google search. You get one search perhaps before it thinks the network activity is 'strange' or 'unusual'. Made using Tor or Brave pointless. If all extra Privacy does is blacklist me from using the Internet, it's of no use to me. I'd rather take my risks.

I hope Cloudflare dies a painful death. I can't stand them. Denial of service for trying to keep privacy, a human right, is unethical. They deserve whatever bad fate they get. They have no right to deny access to a public service just because I value my privacy. Any site who's admin relies on Cloudflare, their admins ought to be fired.

View attachment 1816393
I've only had these issues with aggressive ad blocking and fingerprinting turned on. Sometimes you need to turn it down a bit on certain websites.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
For me, when those "unusual network" msgs appear, it's my VPN along with high ad & blocking tracking also. In some cases I tell Edge to not allow JavaScript on the site.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
It's only when using Brave in full privacy mode (with Tor) that it breaks 90% of sites including this one from time to time. It's annoying and infuriates me.

Thankfully, Edge works 100%. Even in 'strict' mode. I do love the new browser (and Windows 11)

Reactions: sracer

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
I'm experimenting with Edge on my Mac and I've noticed an annoying interaction between it and MacRumors. Specifically, it appears as though MacRumors is sending me a mobile version of itself? Something like that. There are massive margins on the left and right side of the main forum screen, compressing the text within them to hell. As if it expects me to be looking at it with a crappy mobile device.

When I open the site in Firefox, the L/R margins are a lot more manageable and the text is much less compressed. I wondered if it was a user-agent thing, but nothing I've changed it to seems to fix that.

margin.png

Something dumb that I'm missing, perhaps? That's a lot of wasted space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.