Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPineapples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
London, UK
I have a iMac G4 800mhtz, 60gb HDD, 768 ram, running 10.4.8.

A couple of months ago the mac froze & I had to pull the plug (it wasn't responding to anything else). Afterwards I couldn't power it up (nothing was happening not even a light or a noise) after trawling the internet I tried to reset the PMU, this didn't seem to work I then replaced the fuse & it started (which seemed strange because the fuse was fine?).

Last week I had a power cut & the same thing has happened but now nothing seems to work, I've tried different wall sockets, resetting the PMU, changing the fuse. I don't know what to do now, If I take it to the apple reseller it be expensive & I'm planning on getting a new one after Christmas but I was hoping on not having to throw the other one away.

Sorry about the essay,

I just hope somebody can help.

Cheers.

MrPineapples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
London, UK
Just found out it's the Power supply got quoted £263 to fix it, seems really expensive, is it a hard repair to do myself?

MrPineapples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
London, UK
I can get a referb for only £40 more, that's $516 US,

I can't find anyone in the UK who is selling the part or i'd try & install it myself, i'm buying a 24" iMac in January so i'm most worried about my data which I should still be able to get to.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the power supply (if I can get hold of one)?

Cheers

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
if it's just the power supply, your data is fine. you just have to get that HD out of there (or find a way to get the imac to power up as a firewire HD on your new machine to transfer files).

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
the iMac G4 is the worst desktop computer to repair... hands down. Your data is probably safe, but do not attempt your own repair... it's just not worth it. Take it to the Apple store... they charge a flat rate of $135 for labor (in the US, don't know about UK)... plus the part. I'm sure someone is willing to do the labor to take out your HD for the parts.

MrPineapples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
London, UK
Cheers for your help, I think I may get it fixed in time, I'm going to buy a 24" after the expo. i'm getting a couple of different quotes on getting it fixed.

Does anyone know if the offical apple stores in the UK are cheaper to get repairs done?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Cheers for your help, I think I may get it fixed in time, I'm going to buy a 24" after the expo. i'm getting a couple of different quotes on getting it fixed.

Does anyone know if the offical apple stores in the UK are cheaper to get repairs done?
I don't know exactly, but I senses want to say that it would be more expensive at an official Apple Store.

twentyone

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2006

It may be simply because it's one less round of markup. I know that, at least in my job, it's usually cheaper for the customer to source the part through the manufacturer themselves rather than have us source it for them becuase you've got the manufacturer's markup and then you've got the store's markup (and occasionally the markup based on how I feel that day). :)

Doesn't hurt to find out.

MrPineapples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
London, UK
I'm gonna cut my loses, anyone want to buy an iMac G4 with a broken power supply & no hard drive? Hopefully I'll have something tasty to buy after Mac World tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.