Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I recall I had that same full reboot back when I had the 4S. Swapped it out twice and the problem still persisted. Maybe it's not a hardware issue like we think.

Reactions: miss.manson

jexxica

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
This is happening to me as well and also normally within the camera usage but sometimes not.

Hoping new update will be out soon!!

mjberube82

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
Did the new update to 10.0.3 fix this issue for anyone?

I've been having this issue since I got my iPhone 7 Plus a few weeks ago. I tried hard resets, erasing the phone, restoring from backups... nothing worked. It would turn off and on or "respring" mostly while using the camera. Just the spinning wheel, no Apple logo. I was able to deal with it but its definitely not normal. Its an expensive piece of equipment so of course I wanted it to work as it was intended.

On Friday I called and had a replacement ordered. It came in on Monday so I picked it up from Apple, had them switch the SIM and then went home to restore from backup. Monday night, no issue. All day Tuesday, no issue. I installed 10.0.3 last night and then today (Wednesday) while at work it just happened again. This is getting very frustrating. Could it be a bug in my backup?

Both the Apple person I spoke with on the phone to get the replacement set up and the in store Apple employee said they haven't heard of anyone with this problem but it is clear many are experiencing it. The guy at Apple store said if it happened again to erase the phone and set it up as new. This means manually downloading all my apps, photos, music, etc... this is something I REALLY don't want to do but am running out of options. If I go through the trouble of doing all that just for it to happen again I am going to be livid!

Last edited:
Reactions: george999

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
this is purely down to the IOS software issue...hopefully with 10.1 it fixes it.

as this has happened to be a fair few times.

chocoyo00

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
SoCal
My iPhone 7 turned itself off while using safari and got really hot, then after restarting it would turn on and die again quickly, i completed a full reset then restore from backup and so far i haven't had any more problems, we'll see how it goes.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Big time same issues here on my 7 Plus. I'm also on the latest 10.1 beta 5. Phone crashed and rebooted probably 15 times last night doing mundane tasks. No idea what's going on...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Big time same issues here on my 7 Plus. I'm also on the latest 10.1 beta 5. Phone crashed and rebooted probably 15 times last night doing mundane tasks. No idea what's going on...

Yikes! I know I stayed on beta2. Stayed on it since it came out and only one respring to date and after a weird chain of things happening (landscape switch while accidentally pulling up control center at same time)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've actually gotten sick to death of the random reboots on my iPhone 7 Plus so I'm reinstalling the OS. It was out of control tonight. About 5 reboots in 5 minutes. Just craziness.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I've actually gotten sick to death of the random reboots on my iPhone 7 Plus so I'm reinstalling the OS. It was out of control tonight. About 5 reboots in 5 minutes. Just craziness.

wow that stinks, let us know how it goes!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
wow that stinks, let us know how it goes!

Well, it wasn't looking good initially. I unpaired my Apple Watch, and then backed up to both iCloud AND iTunes. The phone kept disconnecting from iTunes so the backup didn't complete until I turned the screen off (tap power button) on the iPhone. Very odd. It backed up "successfully" to my 5K iMac running Sierra 12.1 release. I then reset the phone completely, fully restored iOS 10.1, and tried to restore the backup from my iMac. It said the backup was corrupt and could not be restored.

Great.

Now I'm trying the very same backup from iCloud and so far it SEEMS to be restoring, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This whole situation is just very odd...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
On 10.0.2 I'm seeing camera crashes every once in a while in the past 2 days or so of being on it

Was the case with 10.1b1 but not b2, I've had one crash in almost a month of using b2, and it wasn't from camera app it was a weird one off from switching orientation and accidentally pulling up control center.

only on 10.0.2 because there is a pdf security exploit that was patched in 10.1, and holding out hopes for a jailbreak

may just cave and go to 10.1, but the mixed reviews of it really bug me (pun not intended) especially since I heard there were some smooth betas (like mine likely) but the final one is a bit worse in some regards and intro's new bugs,

ugh

get it together, apple!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well, it wasn't looking good initially. I unpaired my Apple Watch, and then backed up to both iCloud AND iTunes. The phone kept disconnecting from iTunes so the backup didn't complete until I turned the screen off (tap power button) on the iPhone. Very odd. It backed up "successfully" to my 5K iMac running Sierra 12.1 release. I then reset the phone completely, fully restored iOS 10.1, and tried to restore the backup from my iMac. It said the backup was corrupt and could not be restored.

Great.

Now I'm trying the very same backup from iCloud and so far it SEEMS to be restoring, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This whole situation is just very odd...

Restored successfully from iCloud backup. Phone just crashed again. Ugh..

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Why using a backup at all then?

oh why backup? Just in case, I want to.

I only care about photos which are synced to my iCloud account and I pay for the 50GB plan I believe,

music is in cloud and spotify. so messages dont carry over, i deal.

theplague

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
oh why backup? Just in case, I want to.

I only care about photos which are synced to my iCloud account and I pay for the 50GB plan I believe,

music is in cloud and spotify. so messages dont carry over, i deal.
Hmm, ok but if you always set up as new anyways...

The rest is in the cloud as you say.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I guess I do backups because I have space to burn on my iCloud account, but if for whatever reason I damage my phone and need a replacement and weren't have potentially config related issues, I might in that circumstances restore from backup. thats about it though that i can think of haha

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well I'm at a bit of a loss, now. The phone is SO random about crashing. Sometimes it crashes when it's asleep (I know because it needs a passcode rather than Touch ID), and sometimes it's when I'm sending a text, or browsing the web, or playing a game. It's completely random. My crash logs are a mile long.

Thinking a hardware issue at this point?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
if it were me, i would set up as new and try it out for a day or two, if the crashes were relentless and that eases up, you may have found your issue to be software

getting a replacement phone, and restoring from backup, may result in the same unstable situation and a loop of headaches,

thats what id do but i like isolating issues,

it is possible its apple's software as it causes crashes, but bugs specific to your config may be making it worse, who knows these things are strange

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
if it were me, i would set up as new and try it out for a day or two, if the crashes were relentless and that eases up, you may have found your issue to be software

getting a replacement phone, and restoring from backup, may result in the same unstable situation and a loop of headaches,

thats what id do but i like isolating issues,

it is possible its apple's software as it causes crashes, but bugs specific to your config may be making it worse, who knows these things are strange

Yep, it's especially frustrating because this started on the night of the Great DDoS Attack of 2016, which led some to believe maybe it was this that was crashing my phone. But nobody else seemed to be having issues. My phone was unusable that night, crashing every 5-10 seconds I tried to use it. I went to bed, woke up the next day and the phone was fine for the last 2 days. Tonight? Crash central again. I just can't even...
[doublepost=1477643192][/doublepost]
Are you using the Apple Leather Case by chance? I found in investigating an issue I thought was Bluetooth related that the new Apple Leather case is slightly wider than the old, and with the aluminum buttons makes it very easy to accidentally reboot the device - because rebooting now is Volume Down + Power; not Home + Power like on older devices.

I have a spot in my car I used to place my 6S+ but with the new case it's just wide enough that when I put the phone in the case in the same spot it reboots after 10 seconds (which is how long you have to press the buttons down to reboot the phone). It took a few times of it doing this for me to figure it out.

VW Golf R? :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Sigh... I'm not sure what to do. Phone keeps crashing. I don't want to set up my phone as new because it's a pointless device without all my data.

What to do at this point?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.